It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Most of you have probably already figured out that attention to detail is very important to me. One problem I noticed over time is that my Tire and Loading Information decal started to lift at one corner. Of course my first thought was to head over to my local GM parts department and order a replacement. Well guess what... General Motors WILL NOT PROVIDE A REPLACEMENT FOR THIS DECAL. Instead they offer a letter with the information specific to the vehicle that can be kept in the glove box. My response... no thanks.

As you can see in the photo, GM actually did a pretty terrible job with these in the first place. The colours were not applied well and did not line up properly. Then there is the spelling error in the French text. Andrew (harofreak00) actually discovered this despite the fact that he is not French. The first line of text (at the top) should read "INFORMATION SUR LES PNEUS ET LA CHARGE" not "INFORMATION SUR LES PENUS ET LA CHARGE". Not sure how that one slipped past the proof stage!

So I had Andrew create new artwork (he does fantastic work BTW) which I had professionally printed. Here's the new one:

But that was just the start!

Many of you recall all the new options I've added over the years. Each is protected electrically with an appropriate fuse located in either the under hood or rear fuse block. As the final step in completing these mods, I felt it would be a great touch to update the fuse block decals accordingly. I put Andrew to work again and with artwork in hand, I was off to my local printing company. All the new decals are an adhesive backed, laminated product. I even purchased new fuse block covers to apply them to.

Those of you with a keen eye will notice on my under hood decal that I now have Fuse #43 HTD WSHR SYS (60A).

The rear fuse block is where most of my new options have been connected and numerous changes were made here. You'll notice that like the under hood fuse block, each fuse location on the diagram is coloured appropriate to the standard case colour for the amperage rating. I'm not sure why GM did this in the front but not rear. No matter, mine is now consistent. New to this decal are:

Fuse #5 RRCAM (10A) - Rear View Camera System.
Fuse #9 HTDST LR (10A) - Heated Seat Left Rear.
Fuse #28 HTDST RR (10A) - Heated Seat Right Rear.
Fuse #32 TRK REL (5A) - Two Shot Trunk Release Circuit.
Micro Relay #42 RRCAM - Rear View Camera System.
Micro Relay #52 TRK REL - Two Shot Trunk Release Circuit.
Diode #80 - Heated Washer System

One small inaccuracy... both state "PRINTED IN U.S.A.". This was to maintain consistency with the original decals provided by GM.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:37 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 GTO
Do you ever show this car? It would probably win some awards with how perfect all the details are.

96 SSEi...September 2010 COTM........GONE
04 GTP comp G.... December 2015 COTM........GONE
2013 Audi Allroad Quattro

yourgrandma wrote:
Hi.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:14 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

haro1225 wrote:
Do you ever show this car? It would probably win some awards with how perfect all the details are.

Thanks :) I haven't entered into any shows but I may start next year. I'd like to have some poster boards made and put together a photo album to go along with it outlining the mods. I may work on these over the winter.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:06 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
ddalder wrote:
haro1225 wrote:

Thanks :) I haven't entered into any shows but I may start next year. I'd like to have some poster boards made and put together a photo album to go along with it outlining the mods. I may work on these over the winter.

for what it's worth, I think that is a great idea. You have one fine ride! Congratulations again on COTM. - BC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:13 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks for the compliments, congrats and the support! I always appreciate these :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:18 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Of course the idea to change them may have been mine, but Andrew did all the hard work. He's done other graphic projects for me as well and always turns out top notch quality! The fact that he puts up with me and all my numerous ongoing little changes and tweaks throughout a project is impressive in itself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:09 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
ddalder wrote:
Of course the idea to change them may have been mine, but Andrew did all the hard work. He's done other graphic projects for me as well and always turns out top notch quality! The fact that he puts up with me and all my numerous ongoing little changes and tweaks throughout a project is impressive in itself.

I'm jealous cause I'm way down south and Andrew is way up north in MN. I'd be up there except for one big problem for me - it's tooooooo cold in MN for me - lol! - BC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:30 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

If you think MN is too cold, don't visit Alberta in the winter! Andrew and I have met up several times but he is still a long way from where I live. Any of the artwork he's done has simply been sent back and forth electronically. Most parts I've got from him were shipped but generally I try to purchase most items new (when available).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 06 Grand Prix LS4
That is nuts!!! ...And I love it!!!!!! Very few people out there pay any attention to their cars, much less this much! Every detail is amazing and I hope to see it some day!

Previous, 07 GP SE, 06 GP GXP, 97 SSE 40th, 96 LeSabre Custom, 93 SLE, 90 LeSabre Custom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:06 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
This is amazing. Haha! You really are a connoisseur.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:30 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
*dang* man! That is nice work.

What is the Two-shot trunk release? I guess I've never heard that or not paid enough attention.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks! I ran across the 2X relay in the May 2013 of GM's TechLink publication. I was particularly interested because of the number of times I'd look outside and see my trunk open.

"There may be an unwanted opening of the trunk while the vehicle
is parked on some 2010-13 LaCrosse; 2011-13 Regal, Cruze;
2012-13 Verano, Sonic (4 door sedan only); and 2013 Malibu
models.

This condition may be caused by the trunk release button on the
Remote Keyless Entry transmitter (key fob) being pressed inadvertently
while the transmitter is in a pocket or purse.

Replace the KR95B Rear Compartment Lid Unlatch Relay with a
“Two Shot Relay” (part number 19119267).

TIP: When the new relay is installed, the key fob trunk release
button, the exterior rear compartment lid release switch (touch
pad) or the interior rear compartment lid release switch must be
pressed twice within three seconds to release the trunk."

A similar item is available for the Camaro...

http://www.pfyc.com/CA2033.html

Two problems with the Camaro option is... First, it is not a direct replacement for the Bonneville because our trunk release relay only has four terminals whereas this has five so it won't physically fit. Secondly, this relay only requires two presses. They can be one second apart or fifteen minutes apart so the problem will still occur if you're within transmitter distance and bump the fob button twice. The relay referenced by GM requires two presses within three seconds. I've tested this and this is actually how it works.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:03 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Excellent work on bot you and Andrew's part. Love the attention to detail.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:39 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
ddalder wrote:
Thanks! I ran across the 2X relay in the May 2013 of GM's TechLink publication. I was particularly interested because of the number of times I'd look outside and see my trunk open.

"There may be an unwanted opening of the trunk while the vehicle
is parked on some 2010-13 LaCrosse; 2011-13 Regal, Cruze;
2012-13 Verano, Sonic (4 door sedan only); and 2013 Malibu
models.

This condition may be caused by the trunk release button on the
Remote Keyless Entry transmitter (key fob) being pressed inadvertently
while the transmitter is in a pocket or purse.

Replace the KR95B Rear Compartment Lid Unlatch Relay with a
“Two Shot Relay” (part number 19119267).

TIP: When the new relay is installed, the key fob trunk release
button, the exterior rear compartment lid release switch (touch
pad) or the interior rear compartment lid release switch must be
pressed twice within three seconds to release the trunk."

A similar item is available for the Camaro...

http://www.pfyc.com/CA2033.html

Two problems with the Camaro option is... First, it is not a direct replacement for the Bonneville because our trunk release relay only has four terminals whereas this has five so it won't physically fit. Secondly, this relay only requires two presses. They can be one second apart or fifteen minutes apart so the problem will still occur if you're within transmitter distance and bump the fob button twice. The relay referenced by GM requires two presses within three seconds. I've tested this and this is actually how it works.

ok, understood. It's odd that some GM vehicles do require two to three presses before it will release. Some are hold for "XX" period of time, then it'll pop. Some are just pop it. The Caddy is this way and it is supremely annoying should you do it, not realize it, then later come out to remote start it, and it won't start because the darn trunk has been released (it doesn't fly open or anything).

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Darcy says I'm supposed to take a bow for my work... so here :booty2:

:beerchug:

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
Excellent work and detail on your car Darcy! Love the passion you show for the Pontiac crowd! Agree with above, show this car and add on a trophy room to house! Haha

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:42 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

harofreak00 wrote:
Darcy says I'm supposed to take a bow for my work... so here :booty2:

:beerchug:

=D>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:14 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2014 Cadillac XTS Vsport.
It all looks fantastic!

*Gone, but not forgotten* - Black 2000 SSEi, HIR Headlights, Angel Eyes fogs, 3rd brake light overlay, hi-flo cat, 180 degree thermostat, HS 1.9 rockers, LSx yellow springs, Intense FWI, PCM, shift kit, push rods, and 3.4 Pulley. ZZP Power Log.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:25 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I'm curious about the US Tire and Loading Information decal... Is it English only, English/Spanish or English/French? I'm also wondering how many others have the same spelling error?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:30 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
“Les Penus Et La Charge”

I don’t speak French, so who are they saying is in charge?

Nice work Andrew & Darcy. That car is better than new. Interestingly if this was 30 years from now (I'd be dead) and you were doing a "100 Point Restoration", you'd have to leave that misspelling on your new sticker. Those Resto-guys are crazy.

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.