It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:52 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
Hey, I was just curious about this one. My 01 SSEi had every option except the CD changer. I wanted to know if the CD changer requires a different Head Unit (stereo) setup. The main reason for the question is I would like to put in XM Radio, and would like to use the CD change input for this if its possible. I do not want to change out my stereo, I'm happy with the factory all except for the Aux options.

2007 Ford F350 (Harley Davidson Ed.) Turbo Diesel - Real Trucks Don't Have Spark Plugs!
Original owner
No More Car Payments for ME!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:56 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
the 12 disc uses the same head unit as a non 12 disc car.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:55 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Pretty sure you'll need the sharkfin antenna that came with XM equipped Bonnes to make this work.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:10 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
There's a little more to this...

First, as already stated, the head unit is the same but MUST HAVE A 'BAND' button in place of AM/FM. BUT, there's a lot more to it than that.

Are you talking about adding factory XM, or aftermarket?

FYI, in a factory installation, the CDX and S-Band module share the input anyway.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:17 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
There's a little more to this...

First, as already stated, the head unit is the same but MUST HAVE A 'BAND' button in place of AM/FM. BUT, there's a lot more to it than that.

Are you talking about adding factory XM, or aftermarket?

FYI, in a factory installation, the CDX and S-Band module share the input anyway.

No it is not factory XM. It would be an aftermarket unit, that I would be putting into the little compartment under the head unit. I don't think I have a band button on mine either.

2007 Ford F350 (Harley Davidson Ed.) Turbo Diesel - Real Trucks Don't Have Spark Plugs!
Original owner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:39 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

If all you plan to do is hijack the input from the CDX to use with the XM radio, then you may be able to do this and not need a BAND button. You may still need and interface to couple the output of your XM module to the input of you head unit though. If you add the factory components, it would be a much more seamless installation and you could control both the CDX and XM from your factory head unit.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
If all you plan to do is hijack the input from the CDX to use with the XM radio, then you may be able to do this and not need a BAND button. You may still need and interface to couple the output of your XM module to the input of you head unit though. If you add the factory components, it would be a much more seamless installation and you could control both the CDX and XM from your factory head unit.

Are you saying that getting the head unit that has the band button would be better to work with, in getting to my end result? Like I said I don't have the CDX it did not have that when I bought it. Another thought however is adding bluetooth ability to the head unit using the same concept as I stated before.

About 10 years ago I tried using an inline antenna FM Modulator to the system for the same purpose but that pretty much sucked. It still did not sound very good. My AM stations never really worked well either (but I never really listen to AM). This is the whole reason I want to try these other options for XM, iPod, Phone. Just looking at options here.

Original owner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:56 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

If you were going to add the factory XM components then having a head unit with the BAND button would be a requirement. If you want add an aftermarket XM radio then you should be able to purchase an interface module you can plug it into, but you won't have the advantage of being able to control it through the head unit.

I don't get involved in aftermarket stuff myself but I believe there has been numerous topics here about it where you can get some great info on how to get this done. I agree that the FM modulator option is pretty much pointless. Have you looked through the audio section of forum yet?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:07 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
If you were going to add the factory XM components then having a head unit with the BAND button would be a requirement. If you want add an aftermarket XM radio then you should be able to purchase an interface module you can plug it into, but you won't have the advantage of being able to control it through the head unit.

I don't get involved in aftermarket stuff myself but I believe there has been numerous topics here about it where you can get some great info on how to get this done. I agree that the FM modulator option is pretty much pointless. Have you looked through the audio section of forum yet?

I didn't even know that there was an XM factory option on the 2001's. When I bought this I thought I had it all except the CDX.

Here is the head unit I have:

What are my options with this?

Original owner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:14 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

There wasn't a factory option for XM in 2001, but it's certainly possible to add it. You would require the correct head unit, S-Band receiver module, roof mount antenna and the wiring. With that head unit you've shown, you would require an aftermarket interface to add the XM you already have. I'm not sure which one because I'm not really into the aftermarket stuff...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
There wasn't a factory option for XM in 2001, but it's certainly possible to add it. You would require the correct head unit, S-Band receiver module, roof mount antenna and the wiring. With that head unit you've shown, you would require an aftermarket interface to add the XM you already have. I'm not sure which one because I'm not really into the aftermarket stuff...

Thanks! Is there a tutorial here in doing a different head unit, and S-Band receiver module, roof antenna?

Original owner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 8:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I don't think I ever posted a write-up on doing this and I don't know of anyone else that has either.

There was a member several years ago that asked me to build a wiring harness for him so he could add the factory XM components. I completed it but he never paid me so I still have it sitting here. I may be willing to part with it. Right now it's configured for 2002+ vehicles but I could modify it for 2000-01. It was not built to support a CDX though as he was adamant this was not something he was interested in. This would make the installation "closer" to plug-n-play but there would be 1 (possibly 2) connections you would need to splice in depending on your rear fuse block. You do need to have some comfort level working with wiring because it is necessary to add to some of the factory connectors.

As for the other components, harofreak00 likely has everything else you would need. If not, I do but shipping cross-border would be quite expensive so I'd recommend him first. Those components include:

S-Band roof mount antenna
S-Band receiver (mounts in the trunk)
S-Band receiver mounting bracket
Antenna extension (runs from the roof mount antenna to the S-Band receiver module)
Head unit
Wiring harness to integrate power, Class 2 serial data, ground and audio into the vehicle components

The down side to doing this is that you still won't have a port to connect your iPod/iPhone to. You will also need to drill two holes in your roof. Carefully done, this isn't terrible though.

With a different head unit you will need to have a VIN relearn completed by a dealer (or someone with a Tech2) as installing a different head unit in your car will cause it to become TheftLocked. Also, if the new head unit was never configured for XM, there is a procedure using a Tech2 that needs to be completed in order to make the system functional. I can provide you with the procedure and/or document ID so the dealership knows how to complete this step. I had to do this to my car and I believe it was a means to keep Canadian owners from simply adding XM (it wasn't permitted here until the 2006 model year vehicles).

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:55 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
I don't think I ever posted a write-up on doing this and I don't know of anyone else that has either.

There was a member several years ago that asked me to build a wiring harness for him so he could add the factory XM components. I completed it but he never paid me so I still have it sitting here. I may be willing to part with it. Right now it's configured for 2002+ vehicles but I could modify it for 2000-01. It was not built to support a CDX though as he was adamant this was not something he was interested in. This would make the installation "closer" to plug-n-play but there would be 1 (possibly 2) connections you would need to splice in depending on your rear fuse block. You do need to have some comfort level working with wiring because it is necessary to add to some of the factory connectors.

As for the other components, harofreak00 likely has everything else you would need. If not, I do but shipping cross-border would be quite expensive so I'd recommend him first. Those components include:

S-Band roof mount antenna
S-Band receiver (mounts in the trunk)
S-Band receiver mounting bracket
Antenna extension (runs from the roof mount antenna to the S-Band receiver module)
Head unit
Wiring harness to integrate power, Class 2 serial data, ground and audio into the vehicle components

The down side to doing this is that you still won't have a port to connect your iPod/iPhone to. You will also need to drill two holes in your roof. Carefully done, this isn't terrible though.

With a different head unit you will need to have a VIN relearn completed by a dealer (or someone with a Tech2) as installing a different head unit in your car will cause it to become TheftLocked. Also, if the new head unit was never configured for XM, there is a procedure using a Tech2 that needs to be completed in order to make the system functional. I can provide you with the procedure and/or document ID so the dealership knows how to complete this step. I had to do this to my car and I believe it was a means to keep Canadian owners from simply adding XM (it wasn't permitted here until the 2006 model year vehicles).

Thanks, I will research a little more and see what I can do to get those Items and see if it worth it to me.

Original owner