It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi
Being that there are threads for taking apart headlights and retrofitting already I figured the more the merrier and I know someone will benefit from this write-up of how I go about the process of retrofitting.

So first off remove the headlight from the vehicle...

From there you will have to remove the wiring harness and miscellaneous rubber and plastic as the light will be totally disassembled and placed in the oven. There are two screws holding the wiring harness in place, a T15 bit is required to remove these screws.

Then remove the rubber boots from around the headlight housing and the back of the reflector bowls along with the rubber trim around the headlight.
From there there are a number of clips holding the headlight lens to the housing, remove these clips

Now preheat your over to anywhere between 150 and 200 degrees for 10 minutes or so (I have gone above 200, just keep an eye on the headlight and don't forget about it, this is just to heat up the adhesive holding the lens to the housing making it easier to pry apart)

Take the light out from the oven and pry the lens away with a flathead screwdriver starting from the outer edge of the light by the blinker side first.

Remove the black bezel that covers the reflector bowls by prying at a number of tabs that hold it in
Then to clear the amber corners there are four tabs that hold it in, remove the amber by prying at these tabs if you wish

This is what you should have at this point

Now remove the reflector bowl. There are three ball and sockets that hold the bowls to the housing. Remove the one that is easiest to get to first then work the rest out by careful prying, it is very easy to break these tabs so take your time as these are what i used to aim your headlights

Now its time to cut the bowl. I have done retrofits before and know ballpark what to dremel out but you will have to cut out some and grind out more from there to fit whatever projector you have. I personally attach the projectors to the bowls so you keep the aiming capabilities of the headlights.
Grab your gloves, safety glasses and air dremel, this is very dusty :)

You'll have sort of round hole

I dremeled my shrouds to fit under the black bezel

Mocked up
I then drilled holes into the cut up bowl to attach the shroud and projector to the bowl
Now it is your choice to keep the bowl chrome or paint it black, I chose black to make the projector pop more. You can do whatever you want with the bowl because you will mot be using the reflection of the chrome anymore with the projectors.

To paint it black I taped off the high beam bowl off, try to etch the bowl up as much as you can with sandpaper before paint...paint does not like to stick to chrome..

Painted to re-mocked up

From there I screwed in the projector to the bowl, snapped the bowls back into the housing and placed the black bezel on, here is the finished product without the lens

From there reheat the lens in the oven and put the lens back onto the housing, then in remove order of disassembly put the clips back on then the rubber boots and trim, and wiring. You'll then want to put the rubber brackets and seals onto the projectors to seal your headlight interior from the elements, remember to run the wires for the bi-xenon capabilities to the outside as well

Now do this again and you'll have some nice headlights and better light output

On the vehicle

I hope this helps someone! Enjoy! Let me know if you have questions regarding your future retrofits or contact Carl (nos4blood70) or better yet let him build one for you! ;)

Tune coming soon
2000 Bonneville SLE - Totalled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Beat me to it, and to think I took so many pictures of it yesterday... Hahaha.

Couple of things I would add. For the sockets, I would hit them with warm air from a blow drier to ease their removal.
You can use Steelstik and JB weld instead of using the screws to attach the projectors to the buckets. This is permanent of course, but is ultimately less work.
If you don't paint the low beams black, you'll get nasty reflections and random light. There is light escaping from the back of the projector, especially if you use the mini graphite shroud.
This is a dirty and dusty process. Make sure you wear safety goggles and something to cover your mouth and nose.
Do NOT buy Depo aftermarket replacements to retrofit. From the stand point of this process, they are Satan embodied into a small plastic lighting assembly. They are extremely hard to open, feature only vertical aim, and the sockets that attach the reflector buckets to the housing are notched and practically impossible to remove without breaking.
As mentioned, feel free to PM either of us with any questions you may have. I am taking long hiatus from retrofitting, which may or may not become a permanent one, but I will happily give advice to anyone who needs it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:49 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
looking good!!!

:bwoohoo:

2004 Bonneville GXP Crimson Tintcoat- Casual fuel gauge | Brake Performance drilled/slotted rotors front and rear| Retrofit Morimoto mini H1 | clear corners | disabled DRL | 3000K HID fogs | 5% tint | K&N | Yakima rack with fairing, bike rails and kayak rack | Intermittent radio display
1995 Bonneville SSE Deep Amethyst Pearl- SSEI tails | 5% tint | 3 12jlw3v2 in custom enclosure -Gone
1991 Bonneville LE Blue- Alloy spokes -Deceased(deer)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:03 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi
Yes Carl I was waiting on your reply as with any write up you always forget something! The heating method for the sockets is a great idea, you really have to be careful removing them more than anything else in this project they are a very important part of the headlight! Yes it is a very dusty process, the reflector bowl is made of a material that is very messy when grinded. When dremeling in enclosed areas I took a break or two to let it air out as it is very easy to inhale this dust which can be damaging to your body I am sure, and goggles or glasses are reccomended when doing anything like this.

Tune coming soon
2000 Bonneville SLE - Totalled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:27 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
Thanks to all for the great write-ups and comments. It is much appreciated. When/If I have the funds for a lighting up-date, it will be one of the two of you, that is if either of you are still doing the upgrade. - BC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:35 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
The third set I ever did, I didn't wear anything over my mouth and nose. My lungs felt like death afterwards.. Don't do that to yourself!

Great write up though, on point. Patience is a virtue in this process.