It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
. I wanted to add projectors to my Bonne. I search and read every post, and it looks pretty easy to do. However, I wanted to make sure from the guy that have done it. I know how to take the headlight apart because I cleared the corners.

Question is what is the best kit to get.

For now I just want to run Halogen Projectors with a HIR Bulb (I'm not really looking for brighter light, just appearance.), then later in time I am going to upgrade to a HID kit.

The two option I was going to do was:

Just a low beam projector, and keep the High beam stock.

Dual High and low beam projectors.

Here are some kits I saw on eBay:

This is a universal Projector Kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Halog...ht_9309wt_1165

Also this kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Retro...Q5fAccessories

So if you guys know anyone projector kit that is cheaper, or any input on this, It would be great.

Thanks
Donovan

2000 SSEi 4th Pontiac!! 231,xxx Current mods: Gutted AirBox w/ K&N drop in. Cleared Corners. Future mods: 3.5 pulley, 180* tstat, hi flow cat, solid motor mounts, Red-Tinted Turn Signal Tails, Projector Headlights, Turn Signal Mirrors.

Last edited by 2000GreySSEi on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2012 Eco
From what I read, installing a projector was a lot of work. Have you visited HIDPlanet and poked around there? Another good site is The Retrofit Source. Odds are what is purchased from them is worlds better than the Ebay projectors.

HIR bulbs are great for seeing with, while keeping a stock appearance. It sounds like you might be better off going straight for the HID retrofit since HIR low beams are either $70 by themselves, or all 4 bulbs needed for $110. They're quite spendy for just tiding over until a HID retrofit.

Having installed HIR low beams over a year ago and HIR high beams about 5-6 months ago, I wouldn't trade them for HID's. The light color works in about every weather condition, the throw is great, and the side illumination is great too.

That's my $0.02 on it.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:00 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Thanks for the reply Lesabre. I did want to get HIR bulbs, but I wanted to put the bulbs inside the projectors. I know its going to be a lot of work, but I think its worth it. Anyway I can just use halogen bulbs if I buy projectors. Like the 2001 Aurora, and Yukon Denali has

2000 SSEi 4th Pontiac!! 231,xxx Current mods: Gutted AirBox w/ K&N drop in. Cleared Corners. Future mods: 3.5 pulley, 180* tstat, hi flow cat, solid motor mounts, Red-Tinted Turn Signal Tails, Projector Headlights, Turn Signal Mirrors.

Last edited by 2000GreySSEi on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:14 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Did those vehicles use 9006 low beams and 9005 high beams? If they did, you're in business with the projectors. The HIR bulbs fit right into those sockets after trimming one of the tabs a hair.

If you want better lights with a halogen bulb, try the HIR bulbs by themselves. Then decide if you want projectors. The bulbs by themselves work great for me in the OEM reflectors.

Learn from the mistakes of others, that way when you mess up you can do so in new and interesting ways.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:50 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

When my dad had his Denali. I think the bulbs were 9006 bulbs. The some of the kit I see say that they are 9006 compatible. I might just for now just do low beam projectors, and OEM HIR High beams.

Here is a pic of the back of one of the 9006 compatiable projector kits I was looking at on ebay. It looks like the same bracket that a 9006 bulb goes into

Here is a pic of what they look like

This kit are just the projector lenses

Last edited by 2000GreySSEi on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:26 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Ahh, those shouldn't present any problem for the Philips HIR low beams.

How long are those? Clearance could be an issue since the headlights aren't particularly deep on these cars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: .
1994 Bonneville SSEI
2006 Grand Prix GXP
I would do these in your lowbeam postions
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... cts_id=227
These are lowbeams and highbeams in one unit , They use a blind controlled by a solenoid to move up and down to give you low/hi functions

And these in your highbeam postions
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1800

That combo will give you 2 lowbeams and 4 highbeams.
With 50watt hids will produce more than 25,000 lumens.

All of that plus some high wattage foglight bulbs on heavy duty wiring will give you hard to beat lighting.

06 Grand Prix GXP Diablosport Trinity , No DOD , Transgo SK , MSD 8.5MM Wires , NGK TR6IX plugs , LED's , Optima RedTop , Projector Retro , 3K Fogs , 20" Led Driving light , K&N CAI w/ Volant oversize air filter , Raybestos Brakes
94 SSEi NGK Plugs , Blue Streak Wires , Pulled Maf screen , Custom Exhaust , Raybestos Brakes , 12" MTX Audio sub and amp , Piaa Plasma Ion Foglight Housings , HIR His' and Lows' , Tinted Tails

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium
If you're planning on ever going to HID, don't bother buying and installing halogen projectors. They don't respond well to HID kits and you'll end up with cheap HID components. Go ahead and do it right the first time.

For the best bang for your buck I'd recommend a decent low beam only D2S projector (such as RX330) OR a bixenon D2S projector (like the FX-R) in your low beam spot with HIR high beams. I recommend D2S over the H1 alternative because it gives you the option of using OEM Philips 85122+ bulbs which have an industry leading 3400 lumens, no color fade, and guaranteed quality. This is what I personally use in my truck (the bulb). The H1 projectors are great if they will fit directly in your housing but as a member here has experienced, you will have to do a full retrofit with them anyway because they don't fit in the housing as-is with the 2000+ Bonnevilles.

If you're looking for the best lighting performance possible, HID is where it's at. Always opt for 4300K.

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium • Super Black • Charcoal • VQ35DE • Bose • Factory HID • 5000k LED Int/Ext
_

Image__I n n o v a t i o n__T h a t __E x c i t e s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:07 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
LeSabreUltra wrote:
If you're planning on ever going to HID, don't bother buying and installing halogen projectors. They don't respond well to HID kits and you'll end up with cheap HID components. Go ahead and do it right the first time.

For the best bang for your buck I'd recommend a decent low beam only D2S projector (such as RX330) OR a bixenon D2S projector (like the FX-R) in your low beam spot with HIR high beams. I recommend D2S over the H1 alternative because it gives you the option of using OEM Philips 85122+ bulbs which have an industry leading 3400 lumens, no color fade, and guaranteed quality. This is what I personally use in my truck (the bulb). The H1 projectors are great if they will fit directly in your housing but as a member here has experienced, you will have to do a full retrofit with them anyway because they don't fit in the housing as-is with the 2000+ Bonnevilles.

If you're looking for the best lighting performance possible, HID is where it's at. Always opt for 4300K.

This, all of this.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:43 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

ok thanks guys. Ill opt for d2s. How much they usually run.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25

Looks like the FX-Rs are $135 and the RX-330 is $195 a pair. Based on that, I'd go with the FX-R to save costs. Your choice on whether or not you choose to use the bixenon function although a good bixenon high beam is incredible for long distance vision.

2012 Nissan Maxima SV Premium • Super Black • Charcoal • VQ35DE • Bose • Factory HID • 5000k LED Int/Ext
_

Image__I n n o v a t i o n__T h a t __E x c i t e s

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:07 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
LeSabreUltra wrote:

Agreed 100%. I was the unlucky soul who had to do the full retrofit anyway with the Morimoto H1. Do yourself a favour and go D2S!

HIR versus HID? Not much contest IMO. I still haven't spliced over my bi-xenon solenoid to the high beams, but even the way it is now, low beams are considerably brighter. I'm going to use a diode to keep BOTH HID and HIR high beam on together, but in all honesty the HIR will play a minor role.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:02 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Thanks guys, oh for the guys that have done it. On a scale of 1-10 how hard was it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:29 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
my project is still in limbo as of right now, but repins did it based on my idea. Not too hard but the high beams are next to impossible to get enough clearance. That's why we opted to cut the reflector and keep the own style high beam

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

Last edited by swampthing on Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

HIR has its place for being a great lighting upgrade without the cost/time commitment of a HID projector retrofit. Also if the cops are nutters, the stock appearance is a big benefit.

Agreed on going D2S with the Philips bulbs if you're going HID.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:07 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
2000GreySSEi wrote:
Thanks guys, oh for the guys that have done it. On a scale of 1-10 how hard was it.

I would say an 8 or a 9. Not impossible, but you definitely want to choose your actions carefully do you don't completely pooch a set of headlights. Don't cut or drill anything unless you're certain!

Pretty much swampthing's idea was the way to go for me. There wouldn't have been any other way for the projector to fit.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler