It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GXP Headlights
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:29 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
My headlight covers are getting pretty ratty, and I am ready to replace them. Anyone know where I can get the smoked GXP headlamp assemblies for a good price? Best I can tell, you can get aftermarket 04-05 Bonneville headlamps on ebay for about $120 each, but best I can tell these are the standard Bonneville units. The GM GXP replacements appear to go for $300+ each.

Post subject: Re: GXP Headlights
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Don't buy headlights, they're $600 apiece from a dealer, and no one re-pops them. They pop up on e-bay occasionally, but aren't cheap. Just do this, it truly does work, takes a half hour and a few beers.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I agree. Just polish them. I recently did mine and am quite pleased with the results.

It has been an honor and privilage to have been serviced by you.

2005 Bonneville GXP, 200k and SOLD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:37 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks Beast - I actually have a 3-stage kit and have had good results in the past, but that 3m kit looks like serious business! I guess I will probably go ahead and just polish the lenses although there are a few other reasons I was looking to replace them:

1) the factory lenses always look dirty when the lights are on...upon close inspection, it appears there are little tiny bubbles inside the lens. I bought the car when it was about a year old and they are no better - no worse, but looks kind of crappy when the lights are on.

2) I'm going to do a projector retrofit, and it would be nice to have an extra set of headlights so I can take my time since this is my only car. I could probably just get a set of junkers for that purpose.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Midnight Blue GXP
Hi Guys,

I need to clean up my headlight covers as they are dirty and mucked up. It looks like there are two clips on the top of either headlight that comes off and is it just a matter of lifting them off or is it glue down? :dontknow:

Thanks!

Midnight Blue 2005 Bonneville GXP - 182,500 km, all engine oil seals replaced, upgraded to Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar and end link bushings, Volant CAI, 4300K HID headlights, Continental DW Extreme Contact tires

[size=85]1982 White Toyota Celica GTS - lots and lots of mods on this classic and lots of track time. Excellent condition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:11 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

There are 7 clips, and it's also glued together.

What makes you think you need to take them apart? It's generally the exterior that gets mucked up.

How to clear them, but it demonstrates how to get them apart. Great time to remove the amber and have a clean look all around. http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/fo ... =42&t=9348

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Midnight Blue GXP
Thanks. Your info is helpful, one question though no mention of reapplying a sealant to the housing before placing them back to the vehicle?

Midnight Blue 2005 Bonneville GXP - 182,500 km, all engine oil seals replaced, upgraded to Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar and end link bushings, Volant CAI, 4300K HID headlights, Continental DW Extreme Contact tires

[size=85]1982 White Toyota Celica GTS - lots and lots of mods on this classic and lots of track time. Excellent condition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
The existing sealant is all you need, especially if its warm putting it back together. I see no reason why you couldn't install more sealant if you wanted to.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Quick update - since I am doing a HID projector retrofit, I ended up buying a new pair of headlights from Ebay. I don't want the car down while I am installing the projectors, and I want to be able to go back to stock in case they don't like the HIDs, and for when I sell the car.

I thought I might use the smoked GXP lenses for the retrofit, but after seeing the new headlights, I am definitely using those. I do like the smoked lenses a little better, but mine have tiny bubbles in them - a factory defect I guess. That has bugged me since I got the car with 7500 miles on it. It does not look clear when the lights are on. After seeing how great it looks with the aftermarket headlamps, I am definitely using those for the retrofit.

On the subject of clear corners - I tried that a few years ago and hated the way it looked. It looks unfinished to me, and the turn signal is harder to see. Since I am dismantling the projectors for the retrofit anyway, I bought an acrylic light diffuser for a florescent light at Lowe's. I am going to cut a piece of that to replace the orange turn signal / side-marker lens.

Last edited by 2.3 turbocoupe on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:53 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

All your headlights need are a sand and buff. That will remove the pitting.

Sirius wrote: