It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1999 SSE
My son's Malibu has leather seats with the suede leather inserts. They are a light gray and dirtier than a well digger's elbows. Any tips on the best way to clean them? Thanks

1999 SSE. 112k, Cleared Corners, Mobile 1, Energy Suspension endlinks. Ported and Polished LIM, NGK TR-55 Sparkplugs, 180 drilled Intense stat, Flow matched injectors, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, MagnaFlow Cat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
You ask the $1,000,000 question! I've been working on this for some time now. GM customer service told me to ask the dealership... they should be able to help. Every dealership I've asked has no clue. They all pull out the leather cleaner sitting on their display that can't be used on suede.

I went to one of the upholstery shops that specializes in automotives (30+ years IIRC). They gave me a chemical cleaner but it's EXTREMELY harsh. I used it a couple of times and it worked okay, but I think it's been having an effect on the surface. I'm going to visit a local shop that specializes in leather and saddle work to see what they say. I'll post again when I know but it'll probably be a few days before I can get there.

The suede inserts look great but they are a huge PITA at the same time :angry4: Oh yeah, I was kicking around the idea of just replacing the seat covers... more than $600 / side for the Bonneville :???:

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
There is suede shoe cleaner, but I'm not sure how well it will work on the suede in the seats. I'm worried about it on my dad's GXP, too.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
straight Vinegar worked wonders on my GXP when I had it. Completely removed a dried milk looking stain.

http://www.ehow.com/how_3139_clean-suede.html

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

Last edited by harofreak00 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1999 SSE
From the page on how to clean suede: "Note that suede shoes treated with white vinegar may have a mild odor after cleaning."

That smell will be just great in a car thats had all the seat surfaces cleaned with vinegar.
What a bunch of idiots that came up with the idea of putting suede on car seats. No wonder our automakers are going under.

Keep the tips coming if anyone else has any ideas. I wonder if the Mr. Clean eraser pad would work.

1999 SSE. 112k, Cleared Corners, Mobile 1, Energy Suspension endlinks. Ported and Polished LIM, NGK TR-55 Sparkplugs, 180 drilled Intense stat, Flow matched injectors, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, MagnaFlow Cat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:02 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2008 Cadillac STS
Ye4a, I use vinegar and water to clean salt stains from the floor mats, and it does smell for a bit afterwards.
make a note to not purchase a car with light colored suede.

Was - 2003 Cadillac DeVille DTS - 91,000 mi. ----SOLD----
Is - 2008 Cadillac STS AWD Luxury, Black/Black.
2008 Ford Fusion SEL, - Midnight blue - Black leather int.
2005 Buick Lacrosse CXL, Silver - Black leather Int.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The smell is temporary, as with most cleaning chemicals.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:52 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

harofreak00 wrote:

I might have to try that. You didn't experience any of the discolouration mentioned in the article?

Someone also suggested saddle soap, but I really need to ask the shop about that one first.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:26 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Nope, no discoloration.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:59 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 96 SSEi- 157K
ddalder wrote:
harofreak00 wrote:

I might have to try that. You didn't experience any of the discolouration mentioned in the article?

Someone also suggested saddle soap, but I really need to ask the shop about that one first.

nope don't use saddle soap. my experience with suede on equestrian equipment has taught me that- it makes a shiny flat spot on the suede

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

zuper8 wrote:
ddalder wrote:
harofreak00 wrote:

nope don't use saddle soap. my experience with suede on equestrian equipment has taught me that- it makes a shiny flat spot on the suede

:shocked: Yikes! Okay... I won't be doing that! Thanks for the info :wink: