It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:35 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 1983 Pontiac Parisienne V8 5.0
On my 1983 Pontiac Parisienne AC doesn't blow from dash vents only from top and bottom. Looking around the internets it sounds like the problem maybe with a disconnected vacuum line. Does anyone know which line exactly is responsible for closing that particular vent in the Parisienne? Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:48 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Not entirely sure which one. I had two 1982 Parisienne's a long time back and loved them! The vacuum lines all connect to the user control on the dash. You might want to take the trim off around the control (three screws as I recall, two in the bottom and one in the top center). You can then get the control out. It may also be a bad vacuum switch on the control head. Also, did you check to make sure the vacuum line to the reserve canister under the hood didn't come off? Had that happen once or twice.

I can even recite the VIN from my second one from memory LOL. You need to post some pics!

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:58 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
I concur to check for vacuum first. Usually that's the problem..a bad line, disconnected line, etc. The system defaults to feet and defrost. It's unlikely there is a problem with the head unit or vacuum actuators. If you don't suspect the lines, then turn the engine on and pull the vacuum line and check for vacuum with a simple thumb test...see if you are getting vacuum to the dash.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:19 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I definitely agree the most likely situation is lack of vacuum, probably originating under the hood. Having said this, I did need to replace my control once because the two halves of the vacuum switch are held together by tabs, one of which broke resulting in an open system. As mentioned, with no vacuum it will always default in such a way that defrost operates for safety reasons. Hopefully this is an easy fix for you.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:44 pm 
LE Member

I will def check for user controls as I may have disrupted something taking the radio out a few months back. Will report back and post the pics as well. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:41 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
1998 SE
2001 SSEI
2002 SSEI
I just repaired the same issue on my 98 SE. There was an ancient, crumbling rubber vacuum hose hidden beneath the plastic cover for the underhood relay center.
Unless the problem started right after replacing the radio, I'd first look underhood where access is often easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:22 pm 
LE Member

Everything seems to be in good shape at the controls. Also when I first started using AC it would occasionally start blowing out of the dash vents but only for a couple of minutes and only a few times and hasn't happened since. Would that indicate anything in particular?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:41 pm 
LE Member

This is what it looks like. Has a little over 60k miles on it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:47 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Very nice! Sure brings back memories :-) My second one was dark grey with a light grey vinyl roof and a light grey area interior.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:46 pm 
LE Member

Finally found the broken vacuum line. It was this one:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:06 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

That'll do it. Nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:05 am 
LE Member

ddalder wrote:
That'll do it. Nice work!

Thank you. One thing that bothers me about the car is having to use a key to open a trunk. Do you know if there is there any way to make it open from inside the car?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:57 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I'm pretty sure I had an electric release in the glove box. Not absolutely sure but I thought so....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Back when cars were cars, and bumpers were meant to crush their opponent.