It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Car dies after u-turn...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:06 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Gxp
I really, really have no idea what this is. My mechanic doesn't either. Whenever I turn the steering wheel as far as it goes, as with a u turn, my car dies. Everything shuts off, I have to put it in park and restart the engine. The first time it happened I was pulling into a parking spot from an awkward angle, I didn't give it much thought and thought maybe the battery, I got a red top Optima and things were okay for a while. Just recently I had to do a u-turn, and first something resisted in the steering wheel and then shut off, and today I did another u turn and it died halfway through. I had to put it back park and restart the engine.

I tried googling it, I've gotten everything from faulty MAP sensor, to steering pump, to demonic possession. My mechanic doesn't have a clue and says it's the first time he heard of it, until I showed him. Did a u turn and the car died half way into the turn.

I have a "service stability system" error code which I didn't bother to take care of because it seemed fairly benign, but it IS a steering wheel position sensor so.. Maybe that? I really hope it's not the steering pump and hoses, that's probably going to cost more than I paid for this car.

Everything is expensive to fix on this car. It cost me well over $800 to replace 2 ignition coil packs, 8 spark plugs, oil, and the filters. I really can't afford to throw money at this car anymore because it's not paying off, I need to know what the problem is so I can fix it because trial and error is a very expensive procedure for this car. Not to mention all mechanics are hard up for money these days and will bleed you dry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Yes the Northstar is an expensive beast.

Simple test. Remove the serpentine belt and take the same U-turn and see if it dies. It sounds like the PS pump is putting too much load on the engine at lower RPM's. Luckily the pump is extremely easy to replace, you could do it yourself in the driveway with basic hand tools.

The steering wheel position sensor wouldn't cause this. They fail all the time, and it just puts the "service stability system" warning on the DIC and shuts off the system from working.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:23 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

That's probably it, considering my steering reservoir is always moist from the steering fluid for some reason. As preventative measures, does it make sense to replace the belts as well as the alternator? I mean I need to get into that side of the car come summer because I need to replace the AC compressor and clutch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I would save the alternator for when you do the AC compressor. The PS pump is an easy 20 minute job. The alternator, not so much.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:50 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I know you need to get under the car to get to the alternator but that's about it. I've given up on finding the service manual for this car so what I know is what I pieced together from this forum and the Cadillac forum.
Also, do I get the power steering pump with the reservoir or can I reuse the old one? And are the belts hard to get to? I'd like to replace those too. The car makes weird belt noises at startup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:53 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Also on an unrelated note, can someone sell me a working Bonneville Gxp in decent condition? I'm in Canada but we can ship it or I can hitchhike over or something. This is ridiculous lol.. One thing after another.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

The alternator is more of a job through the wheel-well than under the car. The belt will be available at any parts store. I would get a new pump with reservoir as you said your reservoir is wet (potentially leaking).

If you're good with computers and understand how to download torrents and run virtual machines, you can download the GM service manual and run it just as the GM dealers did back in the day. If you're looking for specific information just ask and I can post it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:33 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
2005 Bonneville GXP
There is a complete (Pontiac Bonneville 2000-2005 Service Repair Manual) in electronic form. I can share it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:23 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

harofreak00 wrote:
The alternator is more of a job through the wheel-well than under the car. The belt will be available at any parts store. I would get a new pump with reservoir as you said your reservoir is wet (potentially leaking).

If you're good with computers and understand how to download torrents and run virtual machines, you can download the GM service manual and run it just as the GM dealers did back in the day. If you're looking for specific information just ask and I can post it.

I don't want to bother you. You're a good dude and really knowledgeable about these cars and you've done enough for me already, I think you've replied to 98% of my posts on this forum, so I really don't want to impose on you more by asking you to post things. On a sidenote, why is that manual loaded onto VMware instead of a PDF? I know all about torrents and virtual machines and stuff but I'd rather not get involved. A friend of mine a few years ago got served a subpoena over torrents from his ISP, one of the seeders was a snitch. This was a local friend and he had the same ISP as me so I just decided not to get involved again. Lawsuits in Canada are really costly; we brag about "free healthcare" but I think any developed country could do much more with "free legal services" instead.

Is that GM manual the same as the Helm manual?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Ewg_Omsk wrote:
There is a complete (Pontiac Bonneville 2000-2005 Service Repair Manual) in electronic form. I can share it.

If it applies to the GXP please post it. Better yet inbox it to me because I can't find any copies of this thing and it's probably because GM's legal team is constantly taking them offline.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It runs in a web browser on a virtual machine because its so much better than a PDF. Here is a video demonstrating how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKz4mKnv0w

The first 7 minutes of the video explain the old installation process, after 7:37 shows how it works. The MiniXP version eliminates all of that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:42 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

harofreak00 wrote:
It runs in a web browser on a virtual machine because its so much better than a PDF. Here is a video demonstrating how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gKz4mKnv0w

The first 7 minutes of the video explain the old installation process, after 7:37 shows how it works. The MiniXP version eliminates all of that.

Oh okay, this is a pretty good alternative but it's an old fashioned approach. PDFs have come a long a way since and Acrobat reader is interactive and searchable now. Seems like more work than it should be now but I think it would pair really well with a Tech2. Speaking of which, I've read some reviews of the Chinese knockoff Tech2s here (the $800 original off eBay seems a bit steep), and people seemed fairly satisfied with what it is, but what are your thoughts on them?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Here you go.

general-chat/topic43833.html

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:58 pm 
LE Member

2005 Bonneville GXP
blackflag wrote:
Ewg_Omsk wrote:

If it applies to the GXP please post it. Better yet inbox it to me because I can't find any copies of this thing and it's probably because GM's legal team is constantly taking them offline.

I can send it to the post office. Only the archive size exceeds 300 MB, and the email will contain a link to the cloud to download. The archive contains complete documentation, including GXP. The only question is, will you have an available resource from Russia? If not, will need to find a file sharing service. And will it be possible to post a link on the forum?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:04 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

That's actually the thread I read but I didn't notice harofreak was the one that posted it, right on. But what's the deal though, I saw a tech2 before but it was being used in conjunction with a laptop. It was this rugged laptop thing. 2 different things? And is there a civilian version of the GM subscription to flash the PCM or is it all thousands of dollars?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Ewg_Omsk wrote:
blackflag wrote:
Ewg_Omsk wrote:

I can send it to the post office. Only the archive size exceeds 300 MB, and the email will contain a link to the cloud to download. The archive contains complete documentation, including GXP. The only question is, will you have an available resource from Russia? If not, will need to find a file sharing service. And will it be possible to post a link on the forum?

Oh crap, that's huge. Let me think about this for a minute, I'm sure there's a way around this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:01 pm 
LE Member

2005 Bonneville GXP
Oh crap, that's huge. Let me think about this for a minute, I'm sure there's a way around this.[/quote]

Apparently, the answers in private messages are not yet available to me. I will try to post a link to the documentation here.
https://cloclo-stock5.datacloudmail.ru/ ... 40inbox.ru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I did download and open the above file: https://cloclo-stock5.datacloudmail.ru/ ... 40inbox.ru

It contains PDF's of all things Bonneville. Still, download at your own risk.

It doesn't compare to GM's Techline eSi though.