It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Hello,
I have an '04. I am not real knowledgeable about cars, but I do like to fix things myself when possible (many times with the help of youtube haha). Any help here is appreciated!
In the past 2 weeks I have noticed that when I open the door to get in, the interior lights do not usually come on, and several times when I open the door to get out the radio does not always turn off like it used to. Sometimes if I shut and re-open the door once or twice, the radio will then turn off. I am guessing these are related since they started occurring around the same time, and my guess would be some type of sensor that lets these functions know that the door has been opened. In other cars I've had, there is a visible button-type thing in the door jamb that could physically get stuck, but I am not finding one in this car.
Any ideas if this type of sensor is the issue, and if in fact it is, what would it be called and where would I find it?
TIA!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:19 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
I'm having the same issue on my '05 GXP. However, if I open the passenger door, the radio will turn off. So it must be something in the driver's door. Anyone have any suggestions on what might be the cause of this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:52 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
Since the Driver's door is the most used door, and the issues are intermittent, I would look at checking the wiring harness that goes between the door and and body. it gets bent/articulated each time the door is open...these cars are getting older and it's a possibility you have some wires rubbed through touching each other or grounding out. Also possible you have some wires that are broken and only making intermittent connection....my best guess without putting eyes on.

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
I see these door lock actuators fail often, more frequently on the 03-05's. Pretty labor intensive job as you have to disassemble the entire door to swap them.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:17 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for your responses. The lock actuators seem to be working fine. They lock and unlock without any issues, even when shifting from/into park. When I get a chance, I'll try to check the wiring harness running to the door to see if there are any issues. Does anyone know what the radio (or BCM) uses to see if the door is open? My dash display does show the driver's door open when it's open. Really puzzling to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Juggernaught wrote:
Thanks for your responses. The lock actuators seem to be working fine. They lock and unlock without any issues, even when shifting from/into park. When I get a chance, I'll try to check the wiring harness running to the door to see if there are any issues. Does anyone know what the radio (or BCM) uses to see if the door is open? My dash display does show the driver's door open when it's open. Really puzzling to me.

The lock actuators will work fine for their other intended purposes, just the door ajar sensor inside the unit has failed. As someone who has worked on hundreds of Bonnevilles and has seen this problem first hand dozens of times, just replace the door lock actuator.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:37 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for the info. I had no idea that the lock actuator also controlled the door ajar condition. In the old days, there was just a switch in the door jam that controlled the dome lights, etc when the door was opened or closed. Do you have the part number and are they still available?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:22 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi
Order one from Andrew at Bonnevilles Unlimited. :)

http://bonnevillesunlimited.com/

Resident Tightwad
Screw you, Photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:29 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Gxp
melissa2019 wrote:
Hello,
I have an '04. I am not real knowledgeable about cars, but I do like to fix things myself when possible (many times with the help of youtube haha). Any help here is appreciated!
In the past 2 weeks I have noticed that when I open the door to get in, the interior lights do not usually come on, and several times when I open the door to get out the radio does not always turn off like it used to. Sometimes if I shut and re-open the door once or twice, the radio will then turn off. I am guessing these are related since they started occurring around the same time, and my guess would be some type of sensor that lets these functions know that the door has been opened. In other cars I've had, there is a visible button-type thing in the door jamb that could physically get stuck, but I am not finding one in this car.
Any ideas if this type of sensor is the issue, and if in fact it is, what would it be called and where would I find it?
TIA!

I had the same problem, the radio would stay on even after I removed the key, got out, and locked the door. What I noticed is that you need to give it some time. Put it in park, turn off the engine, remove the key, give it 2-3 seconds, and then get out. I've noticed that while you can drive this car with agility, some things you need to do slowly. I haven't had that problem since I started giving it a bit more time.