It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front End Work.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:51 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Today I replaced the struts on the GXP and I'm having an alignment on Monday. I took it for a test drive after and it seemed to handle well (despite not being aligned yet). There is no pull either direction. Over bumps it is better, but there is still a bit of a clunk in the front end if the bump is big enough and I'm not entirely sure why. Everything has been torqued to service manual specifications, including the WSS and brake cable retainer bolts (because that's just how I am). My last alignment was in 2015 after I replaced both outer tie rod ends. I've only driven 8,667km (5,385 miles) since, and at the time they said everything in the front end was fine. I can't imagine that everything has just fallen apart in such a short distance.

The parts I replaced today include:

Struts.
Strut rod nuts and concave washers.
Upper and lower spring insulators.
Bellows and bumpers.
Strut mounts.
Strut bearings.
Strut to steering knuckle bolts and nuts.

All parts are OEM and the only ones I reused were the springs and body to strut mount bolts.

The car has 128,556km (79,880 miles) so it's not exactly high mileage. In my other recent work I changed the right engine mount. The front mount was done at most about 10,000 miles ago while it was still under extended warranty.

The stabilizer bar bushings, control arms or ball joints have never been replaced. As I recall, several people here have changed the control arms so perhaps there's some movement in the bushings? But, like I say, not a high mileage car. Perhaps the bushings have just deteriorated with age.

Any thoughts?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Front End Work.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:40 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I had my GXP into the shop Monday and the report shows pre-alignment LF toe and front total toe were barely out of spec. These were both corrected. The only other abnormal value is the RR camber (-0.9 degrees) which is 0.1 degrees out of range (-0.8 through +0.2) and has not been corrected. This finding has been reported at every alignment I've had done. The rest of the suspension components were fine. I'm not sure that they thoroughly assessed the control arm bushings, so I'm still looking for possible solutions to the slight clunk.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:34 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I was gonna throw out control arm bushings if you're still hearing a clunking.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:22 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks, Lane. I'd have to say that everything is 90% better than before the struts. I was kind of leaning toward control arm bushings as well, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with front end work so thank you for chiming in. I will definitely have a closer look at them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:53 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Make sure to check the ball joint on the LCA in addition. The ball joints can be a heavy wear part and that could be where it's coming from. IIRC on this chassis, you can replace the ball joint on it's own and wouldn't need a whole new control arm like some.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:34 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks. I will check those as well. I was hoping if the alignment tech found any extent of wear that they would have told me. Having said this, I admittedly didn't say there was still a slight noise when I dropped it off. ACDelco lists them in their parts catalog so that confirms your suspicion that they are replaceable. It doesn't look overly hard to do.