It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dome lights stay on.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:40 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville GXP
2008 Grand Prix GXP
Bought a new battery for my Bonneville. And now the dome lights won't shut off.

Post subject: Re: Dome lights stay on.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:49 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Exactly which lights are on (front and/or rear reading lamps, floor courtesy lamps, etc)? Is there any chance the dome lamp control is on? If not, does the radio shut off once you turn off the car and open the driver's door? With all the doors closed, is there an indication on the DIC about a door being open?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:26 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
Yes, all the lights are on... front and rear, ( reading lamps ) foot well. And the radio stays on until I open and close another door. But the all the lights stay on after closing a rear door and the radio turns off.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:39 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Isn't there a timer option on this done through the DIC and with the new battery, it reset to base settings. I seem to recall a time setting you could have for the courtesy lights. But I might be confusing my cars.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:57 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
Oh, I didn't think about that. I will investigate. Although there are times the radio won't shut off until I open another door besides the driver door. On top of this I have a brake line leaking I need to track down and repair. Thanks Lane. I will check and advise.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:50 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I seem to recall that happening on mine. But again, I may be confusing it with the Cadillac.

As to the other wiring issue, well, that's just GM wiring. :D Probably not receiving the signal the ground to shut off.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:57 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
I see the leak, but not sure if it's a hard line or hose, I am assuming that there is a hard line, what I see is rusty and wet to touch.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The radio should always shut off if the key is off and you open the driver's door, so you may have an intermittent problem with the switch in the door latch assembly, or a wiring problem.

Are the interior lights coming on during the day? This would not be normal unless you turn them on with the knob control. Automatic interior lights should only ever come on when it's dark. Have you waited in excess of 10 minutes to see if they go out once the retained accessory power timer is exceeded?

There is "Delayed Exit Lighting" that when dark, with the doors closed and the key is turned off and removed from the ignition will turn on the interior lights for 25 seconds. I've never had to change or reset any of my settings after a battery disconnect except that fuel used resets to 0.

The perimeter lighting options are also available but relate more to exterior lights.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:17 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
They radio is hit and miss shutting off when drivers door opens. When that happens I open another door and it shuts off... The lights come on during the day, ( I know they only come on with the knob or when it's dark ) the know is not in the on position. They stay on until the RAP shuts them off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:23 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

It certainly seem suspicious that this occurred only after replacing your battery. Out of curiosity, when you connected the new battery, did you connect the negative or positive last? GM issued a bulletin a number of years ago stating that the negative should always be disconnected first and connected last. This was apparently linked to a sudden spike passing thorough modules causing damage when the positive was connected last. I've never personally seen this, however I've always followed the rule outlined in their bulletin.

The Rear Integration Module is primarily responsible for interior lighting and if I was suspecting a module failure, this would be my first suspect. The sunload sensor on the dash however, is connected to (I believe) the Instrument Panel Integration Module in the dash to determine day versus night. One thing you can try to rule out the sensor is to start the car during the day, confirm the dash backlighting is off and cover the sensor. If the backlighting comes on after a short time, at least this part of the system can be eliminated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
I connected the battery in the proper order. I noticed the radio would do this some last summer, and either shutting the drivers door, or another door, would shut off the radio. It started with the dome lights when installing the new battery, btw the old battery was completely dead. But the car sat for 8 to 9 months. This has me baffled. Where are these modules located. Thanks you guys in advance for the help!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:56 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The Rear Integration Module is mounted behind the rear seat back, above the Monsoon amplifier. Plugged into it is one large blue connector and one smaller black connector. The Instrument Panel Integration Module is buried in the dash beside the ignition lock. It also is black with two large pink connectors.

Given that it sat so long, have you had any water intrusion under the carpet or problems with mice/rodents?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:04 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
No evidence of mice/ rodents. I will check the floor again tomorrow, the battery area is dry and the car sat at a slight incline. So I figured water would collect there. Will check and advise.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:54 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Sounds good. There are some unsealed splice packs in the wiring harness under the carpet that do play a role in the interior lighting. Two of them are wrapped in the main body wiring harness near the fuse block under the rear seat, but there's another one (primarily for dash backlighting), also wrapped in the main body harness about the base of the driver's side 'B' pillar between the body and the edge of the seat.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:04 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
I checked the floors, and the battery area again for water and all was dry. ( it rained heavily in Indianapolis earlier ) I also checked the light sensor on the dash and it works properly. Are there pictures of the splice backs?? I would check those, and my grounds making sure that they are tight and free of corrosion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:18 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

If everything is dry, I really doubt the problem is in any of the splice packs. Similarly, probably not a bad ground. Unlike the 90's version of the Bonneville, pretty much all of the grounds are mounted up from the floor and not subject to water intrusion. There are some under the seats, but those are also bolted vertically to a cross brace and not flat where they are as likely to get wet. I can still post some pictures if you'd like, but I'm at work so it won't be right away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:31 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
Ok, that would be great!! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:55 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
I am thinking the door switch or maybe ignition switch??

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:20 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I just don't see the link with either of those switches and this problem. Neither of these will trick the car into thinking it's daytime and turning your interior lights on when it's bright out. I strongly suspect the switch in the door latch is faulty (intermittent) because your radio doesn't always turn off when the door is opened, but that's pretty much the extent of its involvement (if the car is somewhere well lit).

One question I don't think you answered was whether, if you cover the sunload sensor to simulate nighttime, if the backlighting on the instrument panel illuminates (after about 30 seconds)?

Do you have a Tech2? If you have one, you can monitor the status of the door switches and other sensors.

Lane did bring up a good point about settings in the DIC, but when I checked further, this was the exterior lamp illumination time when using the fob to unlock the car. I've got three different GM vehicles now myself and frankly, I'm finding I need to keep referencing the manuals because they all have similar, but not identical systems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:58 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2008 Grand Prix GXP
The sun load sensor is working properly, I checked it as you suggested. No I don't have a Tech 2. Where would you suggest I could obtain one. I been thinking about the purchase of one. Especially since the Bonneville age, and my Grand Prix GXP isn't far behind it. Although it has considerably fewer miles on it.