It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:36 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
I'm on some vacation time right now and decided to finally start installing the (seemingly) garage full of parts I've been purchasing for the past couple of years. Specifically, the list includes:

Front engine cover, 15 cover bolts, cover seal and crank seal.
Harmonic balancer.
Right engine mount.
Under hood fuse block (after some modifications).
Forward lamp wiring harness.
Engine cooing fan assembly.
Radiator.
Engine oil cooler line fittings at the oil filter housing.
Engine oil cooler line O-rings at the radiator.
Left cam cover and gasket.
Water pump belt.
Undoubtedly a few other things here and there.

Many of these parts are being replaced simply because I've got everything apart anyway, and to change them later (in some cases) would be a huge amount of work. My GXP has about 130,000km (81,000 miles).

In my typical obsessive compulsive manner, I read through the various sections of the service manual looking for any special tools necessary to complete these tasks. I ordered some new and a few used from eBay. Most were all the actual Kent Moore products.

Some of these things I've done before, but the front cover and engine mount (at least on the Bonneville) are all new territory for me. Needless to say, the first few hours resulted in a moderate amount of colourful language. The first thing I discovered was the harmonic balancer puller listed in the manual, even with the specific low-profile arms, is not the best tool for the task. I dropped the front of the engine as far as it would go without actually lowering the cradle and fought with this for some time before I gave up and hit Amazon to look for an alternative. The listed tool (even though I was following the manual for removing this on the car) was just to big and awkward for the clearance. This particular puller worked great and fit the space I had to work in.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01AIR ... UTF8&psc=1

The flywheel holding tool I purchased on eBay was extremely helpful as well.

Tonight I finally got the engine mount off along with the engine mount bracket bolted to some very inconvenient places of the engine. I've also managed to remove the front cover. Some of the bolts were really cranked on (this isn't it's original cover) but torque was clearly not even across the 15 bolts holding it on. I really thought there was going to be a leak around the crank shaft, but that's the one place it wasn't! When the dealership did this under warranty, they applied a generous amount of RTV along the bottom of the cover/seal that extended a few inches up each side. Interestingly, this is where all the oil has been coming from. It has clearly been passing right by the gasket. I've had really good luck with the Felpro gasket on the right cam cover so I'll be using their product here as well and hoping for similar results.

I'll post a few pics when I can, but I've wrapped it up for tonight.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:33 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Sounds like fun. :)

Keep in mind a lot of the GM specific tools are also designed with a certain procedure in mind, so for instance, they probably require the cradle dropped to do the harmonic balancer, which at that point in time wouldn't be a space issue.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:18 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I agree with your multiple steps comment. I've been following SI which has (generally) been good about this. There were several steps to get the balancer off, but despite following them, I probably needed about another 1/4". I contemplated dropping the cradle a little but wanted to avoid this unless I couldn't find another option. But, at least I have another shiny new puller :). Probably at the end of the day, it wouldn't have been that big a deal. To be honest, I was just a bit worried about what might start to bind or hit if I tilted the engine much further. There's just not a lot of room and it's really hard to see all the potential pinch points.

I'm wondering if part of the problem was at the joint for the case halves. The manual mentioned applying a small amount of RTV at both these spots prior to installing the gasket and cover. As I mentioned, the tech applied some all around the bottom of the cover, but the bead never went high enough to cover these locations.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Still planning on posting some pictures, but for now, just trying to get things done before I have to go back to work. So far I've replaced:

Front cover complete with 15 new bolts and the crank seal.
Right engine mount.
Serpentine tensioner and bolt.
Serpentine idler pulley.
Right cam cover (new) with new gaskets.
Water pump drive belt.
Front lamp wiring harness.
Oil cooler line fittings on the oil filter housing.

Saturday I'm planning to install the new radiator, fan assembly and under hood fuse block. I still need to modify the fuse block to use with my heated washer fluid, but I don't know if I'm going to get that done this weekend. The lawn still needs to be mowed!

Lastly today I spent a crazy amount of time cleaning and detailing under the car. I don't think the engine cradle has been this clean since it was new. Having everything out also made it easy to detail in the front of the engine bay. I found a couple of missing and/or broken parts that I suspect are related to a service visit when the car was under warranty. I hate having to let other people work on my car!