It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
I'm preparing to do a little work on the Bonneville when I pull it out of storage in a couple of months. I have all the new parts and almost all of the special tools. The goal is to replace all of the following:

Radiator.
Cooling fan assembly.
Forward lamp harness.
Under hood fuse block.
Left cam cover and gasket.
Front engine cover, engine cover seal and crank seal.
Harmonic balancer.
Evap canister solenoid.
Oil cooler line fittings.
Right engine mount.

The biggest question I have is whether anyone can offer any tips regarding the front cover. The dealer worked on this while under warranty and they just never seemed to be able to get it to seal properly. They replaced the seal and cover since they thought it may have been warped. I also seem to recall that they put a sleeve on the crankshaft in case a groove had formed. Personally, it was pretty low mileage (and still is) so I'm not sure a groove was really a consideration. They said that there was no obvious evidence of one but tried a repair anyway.

So... I know I'll need to drop the engine a little. I've qot QuickJacks along with a good floor jack so I'm hoping these will suffice. I've also purchased low-clearance puller arms for the harmonic balancer and a flex plate holding tool. The process (generally speaking) looks fairly straight forward in the service manual. Has anyone done this on the LD8 and is there anything that is going to surprise me?

Is there anything else I should consider doing while I'm completing these repairs?

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:34 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Bonneville GXP
2008 Grand Prix GXP
I don't envy you, my good man. The radiator removal/replacement is a true pain. All what you have listed is monumental, Good Luck!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:23 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks.

I have done the radiator once in the past. I broke my cardinal rule about the use of aftermarket parts. A GM part wasn't readily available (in the time I needed it) so I bought an aftermarket radiator from a very reputable local shop. Two years and VERY few kilometers later, it's leaking where one of the tanks and core are crimped together.

Some of the items in my list are being replaced simply because I have to remove them to complete my "primary" repairs anyway. I have a habit of trying not to re-use wear (and some other) items when I'm completing service tasks. This time, no aftermarket!

Most of the items I'm not too worried about because I've done them before. For example, the forward lamp harness. I got the new one in last year only to discover it was manufactured incorrectly and I had to put the old one back so I could get the car into winter storage on time. Now that I've done it once, it will be easy. Especially with so many other parts out of the way since I'm going to coordinate all these repairs.

I'm mostly concerned about the front cover and getting it done right the first time. Everything is new, including the bolts to attach it to the engine. I'm using Fel-Pro gaskets because I've actually had far better success with these than the GM version of others I've replaced. Ironic that I'm breaking my rule again lol! I replaced my right side cam cover gasket back when I did my crossover gaskets and it has remained dry. GM fixed it under warranty a few times and same thing, never could stop the leak.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I was gonna ask about the radiator and all the fans. Why replace them if they're working. :) But nevermind.

The issue on the front cover is something that has plagued GM with aluminum blocks and individual "end covers" for awhile now. It impacted the GenIII motors too. GM calls it a "porosity" issue. So R&R'ing it, even with a good gasket, isn't going to fix the problem necessarily. What you also have to add, is a layer of gasket maker on both sides of the gasket to fill in those small gaps that the gasket can't seal due to this porosity issue.

I had this on the GTO and did this. No more oil leak from the back cover. Now the front one seeps. Grrr...

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:12 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Thanks for the tips, they are definitely helpful. Other than the usual space headaches, do you foresee any issues with me dropping the engine for the necessary clearance?

As for replacing some of the other items...

I went to replace the forward lamp harness to have the updated version. When I removed the under hood fuse block, there was quite a burnt terminal for the cooling fan supply. I tried to clean it up (on the fuse block side), but it was so bad that I burnished off the plating and there was still visible pitting. So, this obviously puts the connection at very high risk for failure again. The new forward lamp harness I'm installing anyway will take care of the female half of the connection, but I'm forced to replace the fuse block to solve the other half. As it happens, GM had no stock anywhere and had to have some new fuse blocks made. I had to wait a while, but it did eventually come with a manufacturing date of the 7th day of 2019. So, since all the other terminals on the fuse block and connector were perfectly clean, dry and free of corrosion, I can only assume it was excessive current draw (beyond its rating) that caused the terminal to heat up. The forward lamp harness and connections at the fans were all in excellent condition. Therefore, I'm replacing the fans in case they are now drawing excessive current. They do spin relatively freely, but I don't really want to chance another harness and fuse block. My meter doesn't have a high enough current rating for me measure the draw. I suppose it could be pitted relay contacts also increasing current through the circuit, but I would have expected to find issues with the relay (which I didn't).

The harmonic balancer is being replaced... well, because it will be off the vehicle and easy to do. No real good reason for this.

The evap canister purge solenoid is to try and reduce the noise during self tests. I had read about some changes GM made to these (albeit perhaps not on the Bonneville) because of customer complaints of the clicking noise when the PCM performs testing.

Everything else is pretty much just leaks of course.