It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Forward Lamp Harness
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:22 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I decided to replace the forward lamp harness in my GXP due to the well known fog lamp issue. I've never had a problem myself, but that's only because I seldom ever have the fog lamps on. Regardless, I still wanted to install the updated harness (P/N: 15282635). For the record, to swap this is about as much fun as being kicked really hard in the crotch...

For those that don't know, the forward lamp harness connects to:

L & R headlamp assemblies
L & R fog lamp assemblies
Windshield washer fluid sensor
Windshield washer pump motor
Grounding splice pack
Main body harness (for external ambient air sensor)
External ambient air temperature sensor
L & R engine cooling fan motors
Horn assembly
Under hood fuse block

This large connector plugs into the bottom of the under hood fuse block. There are two others this size (dark gray and black). One is attached to the main body harness and the other is attached to the engine harness. There is also one small (green) 2-cavity connector. Can anyone spot the problems here?

Original harness:

New harness:

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Post subject: Re: Forward Lamp Harness
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:51 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Wow, 56 views so far and no one has thrown out a guess...

There's the blatantly obvious burnt terminal. Those with a keen eye will also note that GM built the new wiring harness incorrectly. The large 68 cavity connector is 180-degrees out. It will not plug into the bottom of the fuse block. Electrically it's correct if I turned it 180-degrees, however the harness MUST come out the corner shown. I thought about changing the orientation myself, but the wiring going into each of the cavities will be too long or short. If I adjusted, the overall harness would be too short. I need to contact GM and find out if they're aware of this. They built this particular harness on April 8, 2017, so fairly recently.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Just looked now and saw it. :) Sounds like a high amperage draw of some sort.

And what GM will tell you is that you will need the new electrical center to match. :roll:

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:04 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I sure hope that isn't their response. With other revised parts, they've always told me what other items must be installed if ordering the updated item. I'll find out Monday I guess. I was thinking that they probably don't order a whole bunch of these at a time and this may have been part of an incorrectly hand-assembled batch. To be quite honest, I don't know how wiring harnesses are currently manufactured (hand versus automated).

I'm planing to replace the electrical center anyway. The terminal burned pretty good. I used a very fine grit (600) sandpaper to clean it but unfortunately ended up taking off some of the plating in the process. Even at that, there was still pitting so I'd be worried about proper future contact regardless.

That circuit is for the right engine cooling fan. Not sure why the problem unless it was simply a dirty contact for some reason. I never had any problems with the fans that I'm aware of. I tested them tonight once I repaired my original harness and reinstalled it. I commanded them on and off with my Tech2. Both spun up quickly and when I shut them off, both slowed to a stop over several seconds stopping within one second of each other. This suggests that either both or neither are a problem in causing increased current draw. They seem quite free when I spin them by hand. The connectors on both fans looked fine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:46 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The dealership ordered another updated version of the wiring harness for me today. We're hoping the first one was just a one-off manufacturing error.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The replacement wiring harness arrived the other day. When I picked it up, the 68-cavity connector was oriented correctly. The part showed a manufacturing date code of about one year earlier than the first one they shipped. Unfortunately, my Bonneville is already in winter storage so it will be spring before I can install it. I'm working on getting a new fuse block anyway so I've got some time. The dealership ordered one for me but there is no stock anywhere. It wasn't officially listed as discontinued so I'm holding out 'some' hope. I haven't been told that GM canceled the order but I'm going to check in again tomorrow.