Post subject: P C V Valve
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:52 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
99 Sierra
87 4-4-2
71 Cutlass
Hey everyone. ! I am having trouble locating the correct PCV Valve for my 04 GXP. I've checked NAPA, Autozone, Advance
and the are all to large in diameter. Anyone have a part number, or suggestions ?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: P C V Valve
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:10 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Can you post a picture of the part you're referring to? These engines don't have a typical PCV valve. There's a PCV orifice tube that plugs into the end of the intake manifold and connects to one of the rigid tubes. Based on the description of the PCV system for this vehicle, this is the only part I can think you're referring to. GM's part number is 12575237. ACDelco does not list this, nor does rockauto.com which makes me think it's a dealer only item. I don't get the impression it's a regularly replaced part or it would be commonly available given the number of Northstar engines that exist.

From the service manual...

"A crankcase ventilation system is used to consume crankcase vapors created during the combustion process instead of venting them to the atmosphere.

Fresh air is supplied through a filter to the crankcase, the crankcase mixes the fresh air with the blow-by gases and then passed through a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) orificed tube into the intake manifold.

The PCV orificed tube restricts the flow rate of the blow-by gases using a 3 mm (0.118 in) (a) orifice located at the end of the tube. If abnormal operating conditions arise, the system is designed to allow excessive amounts of blow-by gases to back flow through the crankcase vent tube into the throttle body in order to be consumed by normal combustion."

It is item #560 in this diagram...
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/s ... evel=25597

Your problem locating the "correct" item simply confirms why I don't waste my time with the corner auto parts stores. Clearly, it seems that their catalogs have failed to provide accurate information once again and their staff haven't got a clue. It's sad that I can do better research on the internet than the "parts professionals".

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner Wiring
Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

99 Sierra
87 4-4-2
71 Cutlass
Hey Thanks for getting back with me. From the diagram you provided... #562 is the part
in question, so this is just a fitting? My car runs great I just thought that if that was the pcv valve
with over 100,000 miles on it.. that it might be best to replace. I replaced my plugs not long ago and that I
should replace it as well.
I am amused about every time I go buy a part for the Bonneville, most guys figure it has a 3.8 L, even
after I tell them its a GXP, Hell one guy asked me who made the Bonneville. I was more worried at that point. Ha
I love the mods. you have done to your GXP, and would like to incorporate a number of them to mine in the near future.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:34 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

You're welcome. Yes, #562 is just a fitting. Reasonable thought process, but there's really not a lot to do with these on a tune-up. I certainly remember the days of going to the store for plugs, wires, cap, rotor, PCV valve, air cleaner breather... Everything is so much easier now! Well, unless you need to dig into an engine for some reason. There was actually room to work in the old 82 Parisienne :)

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner Wiring
Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:49 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 Cadillac STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO
It isn't a traditional check valve style (like old rattle can PCV's of the day), on many late model GM vehicles anymore, so replacement usually isn't necessary.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Mommy's NEW RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Daddy's beater affectionately called the Rolling Garbage Can or "RGC" for short
2009 Chevrolet Impala SS: LS4 V8, Victory Red
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

99 Sierra
87 4-4-2
71 Cutlass
Thanks guys for clearing that up. I'm not lookin forward to the day I need to replace the
plastic tube running under intake, looks like a pita.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:17 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Well, it's probably not as bad as you think.