It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:20 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
Does anyone else have issues with their dashboard message display "reset" button after the car sits on a hot day?

After my car sits for a few hours on a hot day, if I try to reset my AVG Fuel Economy or Fuel Used, they won't reset to 0 unless the car interior has cooled off for 20 mins or so. Sometimes those numbers won't even fluctuate and stay frozen until the car interior cools down. Even stranger, sometimes one message will reset but not the other under the same circumstances. Do you think this is a bad button, or some computer/module issue?

Also on a side note, do those 70 mph shake issues apply to the GXP models? My 05 is experiencing this. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:01 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
It isn't unheard of at all for the switches associated with the DIC to stick or fail. If you have easy access to a replacement for cheap, that's probably what I'd try first. Without digging in and checking things over I won't promise you that will fix your problem. It does sound suspicious though.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:46 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 95 SSEi
05 GXP
My DIC switch module was replaced under warranty for doing the same thing.
The car was only two years old at the time, however.

Black 16 Traverse (original owner)90K miles
Black 15 Lacrosse (some nice lady put first 15K on it)43K miles

"You can have one in any color as long as it's black" - H. Ford

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:43 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
please check tires for missing weights - could be balance issue- first this to check for wiggle at speed

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:10 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
My original reset button died as well in a similar way.

All the G bodies have the shimmy issue. But as mentioned above, start by checking if it is apparent that a wheel weight went missing. If not, take it in a for a road force balance and see if it corrects the problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:19 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Thanks everyone. Hopefully it's just a bad reset button that gets cranky when it sits in the heat, and not a computer or module related issue.

I'll get the wheel weights checked first and foremost before I go off the deep end. Hopefully it's something as simple as that, and not the mystery shimmy. On a GXP I figured the suspension was different than the other models, and therefore wasn't mystery shimmy prone. Oh well, it is what it is!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:49 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I've had problems with a shake in the past. I always found that a proper road force balance helped a lot. I've also noticed there seems to be some influence based on the tires. I've traditionally always purchased Michelin but have had a lot of problems with the last few sets I've owned. I've moved away from them and honestly, I haven't had any shake or vibration since.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:57 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
I'm running Goodyear F1 All Seasons on my '05 GXP, and haven't noticed the shimmy yet.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Same tire I had on mine. I didn't have a shimmy, but the tire eventually got noisy (almost like a bad bearing) like the tire was slightly out of round or something.

As to the D.I.C. and the buttons on the dash, they all seem to flake out. Mine went crazy when cold where buttons wouldn't work and then the compass was always out of synch.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

So I'm a bit confused now, are the issues I'm having button related or the actual DIC related? I looked up the 5 button plate online, they look like they just send a signal to the DIC plug, and have no other function.

Again, on hot days where the interior is cooking, sometimes certain functions either freeze (instant mpg) or only some random items will reset and others wont. My compass also needed re calibrating once. However when the car interior cools to outside ambient temp everything starts working again. If it were just the buttons, I would think the reset button would be broken for all options, not just some.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:36 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The buttons tend to stick sometimes. You are correct in that the buttons are only switches that connect to the instrument panel cluster. They do not generate any sort of data message to send from a module to the DIC. When a button sticks it can cause things to "freeze". You may have a problem with the cluster, but it would be the first one I've ever heard (relating to your specific issue). For what a replacement costs, I would still try the switches first. I normally don't just replace parts because I'm a very big proponent for properly diagnosing a fault and then replacing defective parts, but in this case...

As for the compass, you may have a bad/intermittent module. Mine did what you are describing and it was replaced under warranty. I don't know that it's a related problem though because the compass module is actually in the trunk. It communicates with the IPC through the main body and instrument panel harnesses. A calibrate compass module also isn't uncommon.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:28 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Yeah I think I'm going to try a different switch panel first like you said. Unfortunately I can't find new ones, so hopefully I won't inherit someone else's broken switch panel if I buy used on ebay. I can't even find any other DIC related parts, so that limits what I can replace also.

That compass module in the trunk that you're referring to...Is that a multi function module (also controls other things like rear defroster)?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:56 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Send a PM to harofreak00 (Andrew) or e-mail him at andrew.suderman@gmail.com. His business (Bonnevilles Unlimited) is to part out 2000+ Bonnevilles and will definitely have what you want. You'll get it quick and at a fair price. He's well known here for great service.

As for the compass module, it's a stand-alone item. It's located on the driver's side attached to the underside of the rear deck. It has a black connector with five wires. This is a picture of what it looks like (from another thread of mine). You'll also find the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) which will have a blue connector with four wires, a sensor for the StabiliTrak system which will have a black connector with three wires and if you remove the trim across the front of the trunk covering the rear seat, the rear integration module (RIM) on the crossmember with two large connectors and probably 40 wires.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:47 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
try opening up the DIC button and cleaning the contacts. it worked for mine but only lasted a little while because the button was shot in the 1st place

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still