It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:13 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
Can someone tell me what OnStar features are available on the 2005 Bonneville GXP? Will the OnStar mobile app work (like door lock/unlock)? Can you receive turn-by-turn directions without having a Nav system? I understand the OnStar phone functions will work with OnStar phone minutes, and the emergency phone services are available also. Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:30 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: White 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SE, 3800 Series 1.
April 2006, GM notified OnStar customers who had analog service that their service would be terminated December 31, 2007, because starting February 18, 2008 the FCC would no longer require cell phone systems to operate in analog mode.

If the vehicle is from 2003-2005 model,an adapter can be installed.

1994 Bonneville SE - Series one. L27
1998 Bonneville SE - Series Two. L36
2001 Bonneville SSEI - Series Two. L67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks. I read somewhere that the 2005 OnStar modules were updated with both digital/analog interfaces. It was called OnStar generation 6. Does anyone have an active OnStar subscription with the Gen 6 hardware?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:43 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I have had an active OnStar subscription since I got my Bonneville. Every 2005 (except one) came with analog/digital ready hardware. 2004's required an upgrade to move away from analog only.

Basically, you get a phone with a couple more perks, depending on the plan you subscribe to.

1. You must have an active subscription to use ANY of the features, including automatic crash notification.

2. Every active subscription comes with a telephone number for the vehicle. Minutes (optional after purchasing a subscription) allow you to make and receive hands-free telephone calls.

3. Depending on the plan you subscribe to, you can get vehicle theft tracking.

4. There is no true "Turn-By-Turn' navigation. You can (with the top level subscription) get route playback. When you make contact with an OnStar adviser she will give you directions from your current location by voice. These are recorded into your OnStar system in s special "audio recording" mode which can then be played back. The problem is, if you get off route nothing updates and you would need to talk to another OnStar adviser for new directions.

5. An OnStar adviser is able to remotely unlock your vehicle in the event you lock your keys inside.

6. The Bonneville, due to age, does not support a remote telephone app, gradual vehicle slow-down by OnStar in the event it is stolen or any type of Bluetooth integration.

7. In the event of a collision and your air bags deploy, OnStar will automatically attempt to contact you and will notify emergency services.

8. If you purchase the top-end plan, OnStar offers concierge service and they will do things such a make dinner/hotel reservations for you.

9. With an active subscription you can opt to receive an automated diagnostic report of your vehicle each month. This checks some key systems along with providing your current odometer reading and percentage of oil life remaining. In the event you have a problem with your vehicle, OnStar can run a remote diagnostic of your vehicle while you are on the phone with them. Your vehicle must be running for this to work. Should you require service, OnStar will contact a dealer to assist you in setting up an appointment. They are also able to assist in making towing arrangements.

10. If you have a US vehicle and come to Canada, OnStar (soon) will not work for you. Currently OnStar works using 2G CDMA hardware. Canada (for once) is actually leading the US in that our carriers are decommissioning this old technology. We are in the midst of OnStar upgrades to either 3G or 4G LTE hardware (depending on the model and year). The Bonneville upgrade is 3G. Without this there will be no way for non-equipped vehicles to communicate with our cellular network.

Check out http://www.onstar.com (USA) or http://www.onstar.ca (Canada) for full information. I really dislike how their websites are organized but if you dig really deep you'll eventually find the list of available services by vehicle model and year.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:51 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Evan0801 wrote:
April 2006, GM notified OnStar customers who had analog service that their service would be terminated December 31, 2007, because starting February 18, 2008 the FCC would no longer require cell phone systems to operate in analog mode.

If the vehicle is from 2003-2005 model,an adapter can be installed.

That's interesting, because here in Canada every 2000+ was able to receive the upgrade. The current hardware upgrade (which is not taking place in the US, at least for now) also applies to 2000+ models. Not sure what happened in the US with 2000-02...

The upgrade wasn't an adapter, it was simply an entire module swap of the VCIM along with a new glass-mount antenna and coupler on the inside of the glass.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:56 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks ddalder for the info. Looks like I can get OnStar activated for the Bonneville free for 3 months. It will be worth a try to see what services work and what I really need.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:24 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The most recent Canadian OnStar version for the Bonneville is v9.2, not that it means much.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:31 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: White 1994 Pontiac Bonneville SE, 3800 Series 1.
Onstar started on AMPS then went to CDMA because of FCC, and now everyones gota get an adapter for CDMA. More reasons to have a 1994 Bonneville where there was no option lol

OnStar began using the 2G CDMA network under contract with its primary wireless service provider in 2004 to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles because it included the most extensive and reliable cellular coverage across Canada.

That explains why a 2005 GXP is easy to get onstar compared to a 2004..... but not for long lol

1994 Bonneville SE - Series one. L27
1998 Bonneville SE - Series Two. L36
2001 Bonneville SSEI - Series Two. L67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:09 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Evan0801 wrote:
Onstar started on AMPS then went to CDMA because of FCC, and now everyones gota get an adapter for CDMA.

That explains why a 2005 GXP is easy to get onstar compared to a 2004..... but not for long lol

Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by an 'adapter'...

2000-02 used an entirely different module that was comprised of a few components mounted to a plastic carrier and to replace it with the new style VCIM required a harness adapter but not later years.

This was the OnStar module in my 2004 when it was analog only - made by Motorola...

This was the OnStar module after it was upgraded to 2G CDMA (analog/digital capable) - made by Continental...

And this is the OnStar module as of a week ago when it was upgraded to 3G - made by LG...
There are two antenna adapters required to mate the existing vehicle cabling to the new connectors on the VCIM but that was all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:48 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
It depends on what plan you go with;

Quote:
OnStar® System
OnStar® uses global positioning system (GPS) satellite technology, wireless communications, and call centers to provide you with a wide range of safety, security, information, and convenience services.

A complete OnStar® user's guide and the terms and conditions of the OnStar® Subscription Service Agreement are included in the vehicle's glove box literature. For more information, visit www.onstar.com or www.onstarcanada.com. Contact OnStar® at 1-888-4-ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827), or press the OnStar® button to speak to an OnStar® advisor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Terms and conditions of the Subscription Service Agreement can be found at www.onstar.com or www.onstarcanada.com.

OnStar® Services
For new vehicles equipped with OnStar®, the Safe and Sound Plan is included for the first year. You can extend this plan beyond the first year, or upgrade to the Directions and Connections Plan to meet your needs. For more information, press the OnStar® button to speak with an advisor.

Safe and Sound Plan
• Advanced Automatic Collision Notification

• Automatic Notification of Airbag Deployment

• Emergency Services

• Roadside Assistance

• Stolen Vehicle Tracking

• AccidentAssist

• Remote Door Unlock/Vehicle Alert

• Remote Diagnostics

• Online Concierge

Directions and Connections Plan
All Safe and Sound Plan Services

• Driving Directions

• RideAssist

• Information and Convenience Services

OnStar® Personal Calling
As an OnStar® subscriber, the Personal Calling capability is an available hands-free wireless phone that is integrated into the vehicle. Calls can be placed nationwide using simple voice commands with no additional contracts and no additional roaming charges. To find out more about OnStar® Personal Calling, refer to the OnStar® user's guide in the vehicle's glove box or visit www.onstar.com or www.onstarcanada.com; or speak with an OnStar® advisor by pressing the OnStar® button or by calling 1-888-4-ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827).

OnStar® Virtual Advisor
Virtual Advisor is a feature of OnStar® Personal Calling that uses minutes to access up-to-date weather and traffic reports for your area, news and sports updates, stock quotes, entertainment and more. Customize your information profile at www.myonstar.com. See the OnStar® user's guide for more information.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:10 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

The plans have all changed recently (Safe & Sound along with Directions & Connections no longer exist). The three plans now are:

Protection Plan
- Automatic Crash Response
- Roadside Assistance
- 24/7 Access to OnStar Advisers

Security Plan - Same as Protection Plan but also includes
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance
- Theft Alarm Notification

Guidance Plan - Same as Security Plan but also includes
- Navigation
- OnStar At Your Service
- Includes 30 hands-free calling minutes monthly (that do not roll over)

You need to really do your research because many of the services are only available after certain model years. For example, Theft Alarm Notification is available on many 2014 and NEWER vehicles. Not the Bonneville. LOTS of OnStar services are like this. They used to have tables that showed the make, model and year of vehicle and which services were available for each. I'm having a hard time finding it now. I'm sure it discouraged many subscribers when they say what they could not have, despite paying the same subscription fee as someone with a newer vehicle.

I drafted a two page letter I'm going to send to them about my general disappointment with their services. Recently they stopped selling minute packages. It used to be that you could purchase blocks of calling minutes that were good for one year, or would roll over if you purchased additional minutes before expiry. I'm told this is no longer available. You can now buy monthly plans with minutes that don't roll over. They also used to have a minute sharing plan. If you had a handheld cellular with the same carrier OnStar uses, you could pay a small monthly fee to have the phone and your vehicle share minutes on the same plan. That was discontinued also, just to name a couple. Personally, I probably won't continue with OnStar after my current subscription obligation.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks again ddalder. I saw that on their web site and was disappointed too. My '09 Solstice that I recently sold had Bluetooth, so I never needed the calling minutes. I just subscribed to the "Safe and Sound" plan. Other than the emergency services, I might be interested in the turn by turn directions if it works for my Bonneville. I seldom need Nav, but when I do, OnStar should do the trick without the need of installing a Nav system (even with OnStar's limitations). I'm going to sign up for the 3 months free activation on the Bonneville and see how well the available OnStar services work on my car.