It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear 6x9 Speakers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:26 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2010 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn
1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Hey guys, I'm looking to replace my rear 6x9 speakers and was wondering if you could offer some advice. I'm fairly new to the audio world and was wondering if you could recommend some speakers for me or at least what to look for. As of now, I plan on just replacing some speakers starting with the rear deck and keeping the stock Monsoon HU. Ideally, I am not looking for high end speakers just some that are affordable, somewhere in or around the $75-$150 price range, and speakers that produce better bass as the factory ones are pretty awful. What should I look for in terms of ohms? Wattage? Etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

1995 Camaro Z28 - LT1 w/ 6-speed, Magnaflow Exhaust, Moroso Cold Air Inake, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads, Z06 Chrome Wheels, Founders Performance Strut Tower Brace (Work in Progress)
2010 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn Edition Quad Cab - 5.7L Hemi, 390HP, 4x4, Daily Driver

Past Vehicles:

1989 Acura Legend - 'Tank'
1999 Dodge Dakota Ext. Cab - 'Bulldog'
2004 Bonneville GXP - 'Red Demon' - Already Missed

***Showed up expecting a battle, left with a laugh***

Last edited by Gagger14 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rear 6x9 Speakers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
http://reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/1007091 ... eviews.htm

I plan on putting those in this Summer. I put Polks in my door speakers and was amazed. Granted I didn't have the premium sound option in my SLE but they sound just as good as the Mark Levinson in my parents' Lexus GX in terms of clarity. If that helps. :wink:

Last edited by nos4blood70 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:03 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
Yes it does, thank you.

1995 Camaro Z28 - LT1 w/ 6-speed, Magnaflow Exhaust, Moroso Cold Air Inake, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads, Z06 Chrome Wheels, Founders Performance Strut Tower Brace (Work in Progress)
2010 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn Edition Quad Cab - 5.7L Hemi, 390HP, 4x4, Daily Driver

Past Vehicles:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2005 SLE
Two summers ago, I replaced all my factory speakers with Alpine Type S....

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Alpine+-+Ty ... ones+(Pair)/2305625.p?id=1218320078775&skuId=2305625

Linked there are the Type R which is a model above what I got. With a quick search, I didn't see any Type S listed at Best Buy, not sure if there dis-continued or what.

But, I have been very pleased with the Type S I purchased. They sound great at all levels and the bass is greatly improved. I can run them at the highest level my OEM deck will handle with very little distortion due to deck. I know the Type R may be a bit out of your price range...but if they supposedly perform better than the Type S, you certainly wont be disappointed. Just my $.02.

2005 SLE, Greystone Metallic, 152K.

A few mods..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:47 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I replaced all mine with Infinity Reference series. I want to say 9610's, but being 6x9's, it's probably 6910's. I don't remember.

I just wanted something reasonably priced that sounded decent. Really someone with a megaphone yelling loudly is better then the stock Monsoon speakers! SO these were a night and day difference.

I think the biggest thing I enjoyed is being able to drive with the windows/sunroof open and being able to turn up the volume (which seemed to be I had to crank it all the way on that system), and actually being able to hear it vs. distortion from the stockers giving out...

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:48 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
Keep in mind that with the Monsoon wiring setup, you will only be delivering low frequencies to any 6x9's you install - the tweeter will do nothing. They are effectively subwoofers only. The wires going to the 6x9 come from the amplifier. If you wanted the tweeter to work, you would likely to splice from the rear door speaker (that gets full range) and solder it onto the tweeter wires of your speaker. The rear doors get full range frequency from the head unit instead of the lows from the amplifier.

That said, I have JBL GTO928 in my rear deck and I have been happy with them.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:47 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
repinS wrote:
The rear doors get full range frequency from the head unit instead of the lows from the amplifier.

On the Bose system, the rear doors aren't full range, but have a high-pass filter, probably around 80hz. I'm not 100% sure, but I would guess that the Monsoon system is set up the same way. Therefore if you tap into those, you won't get the low frequencies to the 6x9's.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:10 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

1995 Chevy Camaro Z28
repinS wrote:
Keep in mind that with the Monsoon wiring setup, you will only be delivering low frequencies to any 6x9's you install - the tweeter will do nothing. They are effectively subwoofers only. The wires going to the 6x9 come from the amplifier. If you wanted the tweeter to work, you would likely to splice from the rear door speaker (that gets full range) and solder it onto the tweeter wires of your speaker. The rear doors get full range frequency from the head unit instead of the lows from the amplifier.

\

First off, thanks for all the input guys, helps a lot.

Secondly, do I need to pay attention to 4 ohms vs 2 ohms or anything like that? I've seen a lot of talk about that. As for what I'm looking to get out of these speakers besides an upgrade is just more bass. The currently speakers I have are extremely quiet for some reason. Not sure if they are blown or not as I bought this car from someone, but there is no cracking sound from them just very low volume. Its almost as if I don't have rear speakers in the first place...

Past Vehicles:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
The rear speakers are 2 ohms wired in parallel for a 1 ohm load to the amp. If you install standard 4-ohm car speakers you'll get about half the normal volume, and that may be why the present speakers aren't loud enough, that's if they're aftermarket.

JBL and Infinity are two brands that I know make 2 ohm speakers, but they are coaxial speakers, so you get a useless tweeter if you're using these purely for low frequencies. There's no easy way to get a full range signal unless you use an aftermarket amplifier.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:15 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
Gagger14 wrote:
repinS wrote:

\

First off, thanks for all the input guys, helps a lot.

Secondly, do I need to pay attention to 4 ohms vs 2 ohms or anything like that? I've seen a lot of talk about that. As for what I'm looking to get out of these speakers besides an upgrade is just more bass. The currently speakers I have are extremely quiet for some reason. Not sure if they are blown or not as I bought this car from someone, but there is no cracking sound from them just very low volume. Its almost as if I don't have rear speakers in the first place...

I'm sorta in that same boat. I got my GXP a week ago. In the trunk there's a fairly large Alpine amplifier. The factory speakers were all replaced. The originals are in a box in in the trunk also.

The speakers up front sound sweet but the back speakers sound like they aren't hooked up right. They have that low volume/no bass thing as well. They're also not 6x9s. They're Boston Acoustics 10" circular speakers.

I'm assuming there was a large bass speaker box in the trunk (hence the large amp) and the previous owner kept it and just left the rest as it was. So I'm not sure if I even need that amp hooked up anymore. I don't think it's hurting anything but there's no sense in adding a load on the battery for nothing.

Black 2005 GXP 55k Miles
You know what they say, "Once you go black.............you keep it in the garage so you don't feel the need to wash it every half hour......"