It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turnable Rotors?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:45 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
So dad's GXP needs brakes, and I need to know how much material the rotors can have before they're not able to be turned. I have a digital calipers, so if anyone has the specs, it'll allow me to figure out what I need before I remove the rotors. Thanks in advance.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Post subject: Re: Turnable Rotors?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Front or rear? Usually with the rears its about the same prices to get new ones as they are to turn them.

Quote:
If the inboard friction surface of the brake rotor is not accessible, reposition and support the caliper with the brake pads. Refer to Brake Pads Replacement - Front and/or Brake Pads Replacement - Rear .

Clean the friction surfaces of the brake rotor with denatured alcohol, or an equivalent approved brake cleaner.

Using a micrometer calibrated in thousanths-of-a-millimeter, or ten-thousanths-of-an-inch, measure and record the thickness of the brake rotor at four or more points, evenly spaced around the rotor. Ensure that the measurements are only taken within the friction surfaces and that the micrometer is positioned the same distance from the outer edge of the rotor, about 13 mm (½ in), for each measurement.

Compare the lowest thickness measurement recorded to the following specifications:
Specification - Front
Brake rotor (L36) minimum allowable thickness after refinishing: 31.08 mm (1.224 in)
Brake rotor (LD8) minimum allowable thickness after refinishing: 30.7 mm (1.209 in)
Brake rotor discard thickness: 30.7 mm (1.209 in)

Specification - Rear
Brake rotor minimum allowable thickness after refinishing: 10.25 mm (0.404 in)
Brake rotor discard thickness: 9.0 mm (0.354 in)

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is above the minimum allowable thickness after refinishing specification, the rotor may be able to be refinished, depending upon surface and wear conditions which may be present.

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is at or below the minimum allowable thickness after refinishing specification, the rotor may not be refinished.

If the lowest thickness measurement of the brake rotor is at or below the discard thickness specification, the rotor requires replacement.

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:22 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Fronts, thanks Andrew.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:05 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: .
2015 Buick Enclave
2013 Buick Regal GS
I had the oe rotors on the front of my 2k turned for $8 each at our local Napa. That was with 97k miles on them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Yup, that was my plan. I work at our local Napa Autocare Center, and NAPA is in the other half of the building. I just wanted to be sure that they were turnable before I find out they're not and then dad's car is down for 2 days waiting for parts.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2004 Volvo S60
Less material on the rotor means it's more susceptible to warping. A lot of rotor "warping" actually isn't warping per say, but uneven buildup of pad material. This can be remedied by correct re-bedding of brakes, you can google that and print out a plan on how to do it. It usually involved a few 30-5mph stops then 60-5mph stops (I say 5 cause you cannot completely stop when you are bedding, the brakes get VERY hot and stopping 100% on a hot brake can spot the rotor. If you think your rotors are warped, first try this (make sure you have decent pads and know you will lose a bit of material from them) If you don't have vibration, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, turn your rotors. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people THINK that every brake job just for the hell of it they should turn their rotors...NO...WRONG...Wives tale! If you want your rotors to last you don't remove material from them! Also, I've seen many instances also where turning the rotor is dollars away from buying a new one...I'd go for the new one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Mike, the pads are squealing, and throwing out tons of dust, and they have almost 60k. It's time. Believe me, I know not to turn warped rotors. Why should I not have the rotors turned? IMO it gives them a better surface to bed-in on, and lasts longer.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:23 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Turning them removes a surface that's thicker and less likely to warp. Ruins rotor life. If you don't have vibration, it's best not to turn them....but of course...you may do whatever you like with your car :wink:

*add-in*

A very professional standpoint:

The point of machining rotors is to give yourself a smooth uniform braking surface for your pads to apply against. If your rotor surface isn't ridged or rusted or warped you are doing yourself a disservice by machining them for a couple reasons.
1. The surface left by a brake lathe is not as smooth as the surface left by the old brake pad IF the old brake pad had worn down properly. I have looked at dissected rotors of normal wear and machined ones at college with multiple instructors.
2. The brake pad material is much softer than a rotor material. Brake material wont embed itself in the rotors. Rotors can deteriorate over time leaving the surface material weak and rusty, but this is fairly obvious on visual inspection.If this is not the case, leave the rotor alone.
3. Turning a rotor removes metal from the rotor. This makes the rotor less of a heat sink thus making the rotor less effective and more prone to warping.
If you want or need to machine your rotors, by all means, go ahead, the brake shops love to see you at the counter. Just letting you know that it isnt necessary unless you have a braking or surface problem.

Last edited by ChilinMichael on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:24 pm 
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin
Retired Admin/Techinfo Admin

Year and Trim: 03 SLE, 95 SE, 95 TS SE
Ed are the rotors seriously grooved?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
I have always had rotors turned, if there was enough material left to get em squared up, when putting on new pads and NEVER had any problems after the turning. And I have done it on customer cars when I was a mechanic. I have never ever just done a pad swap on a vehicle

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1990 Lesabre
1987 Lesabre
The discard spec is on the rotor. I dont turn my rotors I just buy new always. Just because I always end up destroying them. My current rotors are cracking and they arent even drilled and slotted.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:14 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

So, what's the consensus? Apparently I'm doing them tomorrow. So new rotors or re-use old rotors (not turned)?

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:07 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Was the car shaking massively during braking the past few times you drove it? Run your fingers up and down the rotors from inner to outer, are they heavily grooved? If no to both, reuse. Try to follow a proper-bed in procedure. That's my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

No shaking, and they're not hardly grooved at all, IIRC. I'll give them a once-over tonight and decide the plan of action.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:15 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
I never machine my rotors for the reasons mentioned.
They are very cheap to replace compared to the older rotors like my Bird has with integral bearings. I even replace those when time.

Less material = more prone to warping.

Rust inside the rotor vents impede heat transfer also. :wink:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:42 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 05 Chevy 'Hoe
1997 'maro (3.8L M5)
89 SkiDoo
The reasons I turn are to get rid of the glazed surface on the rotor, so you have a better pad to rotor mating surface. I say no to just a pad swap. But if you dont wanna turn em then buy new.

00Beast wrote:
Less off-topic than Lane's Heated Steering wheel, but yeah, back to the topic.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:06 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Ugh, the rotors are shot. Just called NAPA, hopefully they can get on the truck in the morning...

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:57 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

How do you know they are shot?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:59 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I'll get pics when i take them off. There is a huge ridge on the back of the rotor, and the pad is more than likely gone. I might buy new slide pins, because the back is way worse than the front.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Make sure when you put the slide pins in that you grease them properly with the right stuff...I had the same issue with my last set of pads so don't feel bad.