It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:23 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 97 Bonneville SSEi-prev
05 Bonneville GXP-current
Help.....Okay question...
I got in my car 2005 Bonneville GXP after starting it and putting some things into the trunk.. I started down the driveway and noticed the Service light / Security light / check Air bag light was on. I reset the Airbag light as I get the same message about tire pressure. Anyway started onto road and noticed the fuel gauge needle was not registering either was the MPG message all "--" and the radio did not work. SO I pulled over into next neighborhood intersection and put into park and turned car off to restart hoped to reset everything.... BOY NOT the car would not start it went into full lockdown mode one block from my home. Called Hubby to get 2nd set of keys and the car still did not respond. Called Onstar and they could not run DX and wanted to call me a tow (whatever) anyway Husband disconected battery and the car seemed to reset like a home puter. But now the question is WHY?? Has anyone else had this happen to anyone else???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:51 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: WCBF 2008 Survivor
I would have to guess it had something to do with battery or electrical issues such as a battery terminal not hooked up properly or a ground is not grounding, a almost dead battery or the alternator wasn't charging the battery for some reason.

I don't know for sure but those would be the things I would check first.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
could be but the car wouldnt start 1st place if it was charged or grounded,,

would it?

Fully tinted, 5000K HID hi/lo & fogs, LED conversion (interior/red rear signals/reverse light/license plate/trunk/sun visor/glove box/switch backs), turn signal mirrors, JVC KW-NT3 Navi & BT, KV-CM1 Camera, 2x JL 13TW5, JL G-Max, black & chrome emblem, 20" black & red, clear corners, center tail light up, half tinted tail lights, cross drilled rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, and more..

Black GXP. One of a kind. RIP.
G35 Coupe 6MT. Stockishhh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:58 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
Disconnecting the battery, is part of what is called an "idle re-learn". As you mentioned, it reboots the PCM kinda like re-booting your home PC. It reverts to the base programming of the PCM, clearing it of any "learned" bugs it may have picked up along the way, and then will start to re-learn as you drive it. A good GM re-learn driving cycle is here: www.OBDII.com

Anyway, when I get a chance to compose my thoughts on this issue, I will. I'm at work right now and can't.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:11 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Ok, I've gathered my thoughts... All one of them. :laughing3:

Anyway, first things first. Is the black, plastic portion of your key damaged?

This piece of the key, is part of the PASS KEY mechanism on our cars. Back in the day, it used to be the little pellet resistor in the key. Now it's much more "low key" (no pun intended) and hidden in this part of the key.

So when you put your key in the ignition, there is what is called an "exciter ring" in the ignition switch. This exciter ring energizes the PASS KEY pellet in the key head, which the key head then transmits a signal containing some value as a password to the exciter, which then sends it to the vehicle theft deterrent module. The VTD will then compare this value against the pre-stored/learned value and makes the following actions;

1) If they match (IE: it's correct), the VTD will send the now "enabled" password to the PCM, which then will trigger all systems "a go" and allow the vehicle to start.

2) If they don't match, the VTD will send a "disable" code to the PCM, which then the PCM shuts everything down and will not allow the car to start.

3) If it's unable to obtain this value from the key, through the exciter ring, after one second of attempts, it will also send a "disable" signal to the PCM.

Action 3 is what sounds like happened. If that key head is damaged, or your missing the pellet in it, action 3 is what happens. When your husband disconnected the battery, it reset everything, and when you re-inserted the key, evidently action 1 took place and allowed you to start it. It wouldn't have been action 2, because if you had the wrong key, your husband could disconnect the battery all he wanted. The next time you put the key into the ignition and it didn't match, the PCM would be disabled again. Action 3 is more an errant signal and the VTD isn't quite sure, so it puts things on lock down.

I can't quite put all the other crap that happened together with this scenario, but our IP's are full of electrical gremlins that when one little inbalance in the system happens, all heII breaks loose. :D

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:14 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
After mine got crazy on me, wouldn't start, and then a battery disconnect / reconnect got me going again, I threw an 8mm wrench in the console so I can always disconnect the battery if needed. Hope it was a one time thing though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:26 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: before cars
I forget, is the battery under the back seat on your car? Either way, make sure the connections are free of corrosion and make sure the body ground is good and clean. Also, check the main cable connections at the underhood fuse block.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:47 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
Yes, all 00+ have the battery under the backseat.

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:53 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Yea, it's actually easier to get to/work on and free of corrosion (hopefully) there.

Daily Drivers: