It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Fog Lights?
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Year and Trim: '17 Silverado 1500
So neither fogs on our GXP work. Is there a bulb in there? I bought a pair at the local parts store, but I can't find where they go. Is there a bulb, or is it the whole assembly that needs to be replaced??

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

Post subject: Re: Fog Lights?
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:15 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
There is a bulb in there. lol

They are not easy to change but not impossible either. I have found that the easiest way is to remove the headlight assembly and go in from there.

Norm

It has been an honor and privilage to have been serviced by you.

2005 Bonneville GXP, 200k and SOLD!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:23 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Ok. I took off the splash shield, then realized that I could remove the headlight and it was just as good, lol. Is the bulb a dealer only item? Is there anything else I should look at? I was talking to Andrew (Harofreak00) and he said it could be wiring. Is there any place in particular that I should look first?

Sirius wrote:
Think about it. You’re tooling down the road in your Prius, knowing full-well that this thing being green is as big a sham as federally mandated ethanol-enriched gas, Russia pulling out of Ukraine, and Obamacare.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:44 pm 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
Check the fuse first.

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:48 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Thanks Paul. Even the best of us forget the simple things. I'll check that tonight.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:41 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2006 Toyota Highlander
2004 GXP
RIP Bonnie
My drivers side kept blowing through bulbs until I grounded it to the frame using standard home stereo wire. That was at least eight months ago.

Have gone in both ways...prefer through headlight if just to change bulb.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:45 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: WCBF 2008 Survivor
The dealer replaced my wiring harness that went up to the fogs, it seemed to work for a couple of months up until the wreck.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2011Taurus SHO
Here are some pics of what the housing looks like. I did a write up on how to change the bulbs but I can't find it right now.

This should give you a pretty good idea of what is going on it there.

2011 Ford Taurus SHO, Livernois Motorsports Stage 4x+ tune, 3 bar MAP sensor, Motorcraft SP534 plugs, 160* Tstat, best ET 12.5612@ 108.96 MPH running 0.75 gallons of E85 to 13 gallons of 93 octane, 35% tint, 2013+ fender badges! debadged trunk and rear quarter window

2008 Grand Prix GXP Dark Red, Magnaglow Cat Back, Overkill Motorsports Tune, K&N FWI, 20% tint, 6,000K HID lows, 5,000K HID fogs and HIR highs (sold)

2005 Greystone Metallic, cleared corners, 20% tint, drop in K&N filter with gutted air box, 6000k HID low beams and fog lights, LED interior lights and reverse lights (sold)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 pm 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

Yeah, I looked at it. It's not a big deal right now. If/when it needs to go to the dealer, we'll have it looked at.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:42 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: '05 GXP
GXP_vince wrote:
The dealer replaced my wiring harness that went up to the fogs,

Mine as well last month... then 4 days later one of the older bulbs burned out again. I am still waiting for them to make a decision.

The harness was replaced according to some bulletin from GM.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:18 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: before cars
I know GM used that same bulb years ago in one of their models and it was nothing but trouble then. Don't know if the bulb was updated, but I don't think so because it is the same number bulb.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:58 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
It uses an H3 bulb. If I EVER meet the GM engineer who decided on this setup vs. an 880/893 bulb or other twist in socket style bulb, I'm gonna drag him/her out and hang him/her from the highest tree in the land... Oh the woes of the fog lights for us GXP owners. What does the bulbs in, is the heat built up in that housing with the moisture caps on.

This heat does a couple things;
1) shortened bulb life
2) melts the ground wire
3) cracks the metal base under the bulb (the problem I have now)
4) causes fuses to blow.

I have not had it get to #4 yet. But I have re-wired my ground wire on both sides, by drilling out another hole in the housing and running the wire out of it, instead crunched up in the housing behind a hot light bulb. This will require you keep the moisture caps off, which is a blessing in disguise as it'll triple your average bulb life (as I have experienced). I went from replacing them once a month, to once every three months with this cap off. First remark to me will be, well, they're there to keep water out. Yes, you're right, but even through the monsoons I've been through or the multiple feet of snow I've had with the car, I have not had an issue yet.

Getting to the bulb is a bitch and a half, the quickest way, is through the headlight removal method above. I've got the swaps down to less than a minute.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:56 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I would like to re-iterate how I wish that the children of the engineer who designed these driving/fog lights, suffer from some sort of venereal disease!!! :booty:

SO after I posted my last post the other night, the next day, my drivers side went out again. Got around to playing with it tonight. Figuring it was just a bulb, I replaced it. Well, it still did not work. I start to fumble around with the ground wire, and sure enough... It was loose! I ended up pulling it off. I found the female connector was so brittle from the heat, that I could bend it up with my fingers. So I cut that one off, and put a new terminal on the wire. Start to attempt to put the terminal back on the grounding tab in the light housing, and CRACK!! The glass housing shattered and fell apart inside...

Not a big deal until you go ot your local Pontiac dealer and find they want $221 for the whole new housing...

I am REALL MAD!! :angry4:

2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Sat May 16, 2009 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:20 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

I found something on e-bay that was interesting. If these work, it could be a solution to our issues!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-200 ... 240%3A1318

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:28 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Good thing: they're made by Hella.
Maybe a bad thing: I can't tell if they follow the curvature of the OEM light in the front fascia.
Maybe another bad thing: If they aren't direct OEM replacement fits, they're goingo to require some "fab" work or "creative installation". :)

That's not a problem for me, as I'll make anything work. :), I just don't want to be a guinea pig.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 am 
Retired Site Developer
Retired Site Developer

LOL, maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig. I'll see how much it bugs me, as it's not my car, lol.

Sirius wrote:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:40 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
I had my share of aggravation with bulbs blowing out as well. I don't put that many miles on my GXP, but I always have the Fog Lights on when driving as I think the car looks best with them on.

I definitely recommend taking out the headlight and going in that way as it is quite simple.

And yes, these use a simple H3 bulb. There are some "premium" versions of the H3 out there that do provide a whiter light without costing much. And I am pretty sure there are HID retrofit kits to upgrade using the factory enclosure if you want to spend the extra money. But the cost has dropped alot thankfully. Of course, you would want to do the headlights then as well.

But regarding the problems so many of us have had with bulbs going out quickly... I found that the culprit for my Fog Lights was indeed the simple ground wire in the housing (The short black wire in the pics above.). It was very brittle and corroded as well as if there was a problem with the quality of the metal used when this wire was made. I replaced the wire while carefully reusing the connectors themselves and have had no further problems with bulbs since doing so. Whew, am I glad as that was maddening! In fact, right before I did that, I had just put in two new bulbs and after about 10 days both bulbs were out, but when I went in to install new ones again, I reallized the bulbs themselves were still good. I moved the wiring around and a bulb lit up, that is when I started looking over the wiring and saw the condition of the ground wires. Hope this simple fix will work for at least some of you. Good luck!

2005 Bonneville GXP in White Gold with every factory option (minus block heater) rolling 19" Mille Miglia EVO-S wheels (much like pre-production Bonneville GXP) with Falken FK-451 tires (245/40/ZR19) - K&N with cleaned up Airbox, Bosch Fusion plugs, ... hmmmm... - Ultra Silverstar Low Beams, GXP badge on decklid and engine cover and Northstar badge added to engine bay, deep tint, ...
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am #763 coupe M6 with every factory option, full bolt-on plus cam car including suspension, brakes, exhaust, many detailed touches, ... - 'Best of Class' at Pontiac Southern Nationals, Houston Autorama, and Hooters Car Show - Sugar Land/Stafford

Last edited by 1999Daytona500PaceCar on Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Yup, I've replaced the ground wire on both sides, driver side twice. But the main culprit of why they go out is... heat. Heat from the bulb.

Daily Drivers:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Well, not sure if some saw my post in the parts wanted section. The other night, the drivers side went out again. Figuring it was a bulb (it was due), I started playing around in there to get it out. As I was playing with it, moving the ground wire, the light would come back on. Right away, I knew the bulb was fine and it was either ground wire #2 on this side, or something else.

Well, got the bulb out as I need the space to get my fingers in there to mess with that ground wire (mind you it's 9pm and dark out, so I was doing it by feel), when all the sudden... CRACK! The whole light refractor housing crumbled at my fingers. Yup, the light housing inside the assembly literally fell apart...

I ended up ordering a new one from GM parts direct for $130 (which beats the $221 any parts department wants) as no one seemed to have a used one for sale.

Here are the parts I was able to fish out.

Obviously the bulb, the ground wire that I cut the connection off and made a new one (already in the car), the piece of the refractor, and the metal bulb mount/electrical conduit.

And here is the elecrical connector for the ground. I cut it off and made a new one (already in the car). What's important here is take a look at that connector. That was NEW a month or so ago. Look at what the heat does to it... IN the above picture, you can see where it connects to the bulb mount and the discoloring/heat involved.

Daily Drivers:

Last edited by CMNTMXR57 on Sat May 30, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:57 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Got the new light assembly tonight. Hopefully I will be able to get it in this weekend.

Daily Drivers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next