It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water in Car
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:51 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
I have read many of the posts about water in the car. I thought that I would add mine. At first I thought that it was the kids leaving their water bottles on the floor because the back right passenger floor was wet. After I dried it out, it happened again so I knew something was up. Well now after a pouring rain, the whole passenger side carpet front & back is soaking wet. The trunk is bone dry! I saw something about calk wearing off a seam in the floor? I live in the south so the car does not see snow or ice. Maybe it's a defect from the get go. Has anybody else had water coming in from the floor boards? Where do I find the moon roof drain lines? I did not realize that there were any.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Water in Car
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:34 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
There were some issues with moonroof drains along with some areas that are intended to be "wet" cavities in the car that were filled with too much insulation and caused problems. Being that yours is a 2005, these problems (according to TSB's) should have been resolved at the manufacturing level.

What hasn't been addressed is the door panel water deflectors. Next time you have a heavy rain or take your car to the wash, look very closely at the bottom of your interior door panels for water. There is a plastic sheet that is attached to the sheet metal underneath the door panel that is supposed to keep water out. The adhesive GM uses is poor, at best! It is never very long before the deflector pulls away and water starts leaking into the car. It is VERY common to have it accumulate under the carpet in the rear seats. I'm starting to lose count of the number of 2K+ Bonnevilles I fixed this problem on.

If there isn't one already on this board, I have a write-up I'll be posting on how to check for and fix this problem. I don't believe that caulking rubbing away is the most common reason for this problem. Most members will tell you it has been one of the following:

Moonroof drains plugged or disconnected.
Poor adhesion of door panel water deflectors.
Damaged or otherwise poor weatherstripping.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Last edited by ddalder on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:57 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
Thanks ddalder, I will check that out. I have spent a couple of thousand this year at the dealer and I'm tapped out. :helpsmilie: I am going to have to try to fix it myself. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:08 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

This repair should be pretty easy to complete yourself. If someone knows of a write-up already on the forum, perhaps they can post the link. Otherwise I had one previously that I've already started updating. It may be 4 or 5 more days though before it's ready to go up.

This biggest part of this repair is just the labour. You need some Bug & Tar remover, rags, new sealant and just some time to spend doing it. Pretty cheap overall. The write-up will pretty much walk you through the process :wink:

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:50 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
Here is what I found in Techinfo. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1688

It has been an honor and privilage to have been serviced by you.

2005 Bonneville GXP, 200k and SOLD!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:48 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Have a look here :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=11064

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:58 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
After about 2 weeks of owning my 05 GXP i would notice a wet type of feeling after it would rain.. so i figured it was just how the car was, so after a huge rain storm i got in the car and pulled out the drive way and stopped at the mail box and water start to pour in from the sunroof/garage door button area. So i was like wtf!!! So after getting out and opening the sunroof to inspect it i turned out that the drain plugs was stopped up. So about 2 days later at work i used the air hose and blow out the 2 front drains and them poured water in the channel to see if it would go down and it did in both front tubes.. I didn't have a flash light to look at the rear tubes to put the long air adaptor back there to blow it out.. But Yea the 2005 GXP stops up still!!! I'm just happy i didn't have to take it in for warranty work on the sunroof on a car i hadn't even paid the first months payment on yet!! but even if the GM dealership closes up I got a 45k 5 year bumper to bumper warranty from the Toyota dealership i got the car from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:41 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2006 STS-V, 2004 GTO, 2009 G8 GT
I just drilled two small holes in my spare tire well in the trunk (in the lowest section, almost like pinholes). They're not noticeble and I have no problems with water anymore. It'll leak down the internal drip rails, into the trunk, and out to the ground.

Retired Bonneville Owner and former GM Tech:
2004 Pontiac Bonneville GXP: Black/Ebony *SOLD*

Summer Toys: Combined 827 RWHP / 877lb/ft RWTQ
2004 Pontiac GTO: Impulse Blue Metallic/Black/M6: lots 'o mods, 415 RWHP / 405lb/ft RWTQ!
2006 Cadillac STS-V: Light Platinum Metallic/Light Gray/A6 - Spectre CAI, Magnaflow exhaust, Speed Inc. tune, 412 RWHP / 472lb/ft RWTQ

Daily Drivers:
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Limited: Mommy's new RGC
2015 Chrysler Town & Country Limited Platinum: Kids new RGC
2007 Chrysler Town & Country Limited: Sold to neighbor
2009 Pontiac G8 GT: L76, Sport Red Metallic
2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500: Doeskin Tan - 8.1L Big Block... new plow truck
1999 Chevrolet Suburban: Sunset Gold Metallic - Daddy's winter beater and plow truck