It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gm07b connector
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SE
someone who has used this connector before. is that I plan to change the factory radio to my 2000 Pontiac bonneville se.[url]https://images.sonicelectronix.com/images/2865719/main/gm07b.jpg[url]

Post subject: Re: Gm07b connector
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I used it. You need to give the radio switched power from a different location though. I used the IGN3 fuse in the rear fuse box.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 04 sse
[quote="nos4blood70"]I used it. You need to give the radio switched power from a different location though. I used the IGN3 fuse in the rear fuse box.[/quote

I recently acquired an 04 Bonneville and wanted to do the same,why do I need to route power to wire coming off of the "car side" of the harness? Shouldn't it already have power? I had this question because I saw this notion (routing switched power to it from another location) so I asked on some subreddits and they all told me I was crazy and I wouldn't need to route power to it but I've installed it like 3 times now and my radio won't turn on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Not everyone on Reddit knows every specific for every car. In this case, since this harness is so cheap, you have to do a little bit of extra work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:29 pm 
LE Member

nos4blood70 wrote:
Not everyone on Reddit knows every specific for every car. In this case, since this harness is so cheap, you have to do a little bit of extra work.

Well I asked on the GM, Pontiac, and general cars one(which has been very helpful with every other project I had) and they all told me the same thing (different people).

Plus, there is a connector there, ie. there is a wire on the other side of the factory "port" in the back where the factory radio plugs into, which means that red wire should already have the appropriate signal/power coming from the car for the factory radio (since the factory radio needs that same switched "signal"). Like, there is a factory wire on the other side that does something, right? I honestly want to know why all this is necessary, like, what the hell does that red wire do? What signal/ power does it carry? If it's not switched, then why the hell is it labeled "switched power" on the wiring diagram? If it is switched power, then why do you need to run another switched power source into it for it to work as intended?

Anyways what I did to get around it was to run the extra 12v constant to the red wire and I just manually turn off my radio when I'm done with it, so I say suck on that to whatever dumbass GM engineer thought this tomfoolery was a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:20 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Ummmmm....

I'm not sure what wiring diagram you're looking at, but I have all the GM schematics for the Bonneville from 2000-05 and it is not labeled "switched power". You may have seen this in the wiring harness documentation for this adapter, but that would be because you need to provide switched power and not necessarily that the car inherently does this for you. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing the term "switched power" in a Bonneville diagram.

You are confusing old style radios with those that are installed in newer vehicles. The 2000+ Bonneville radio is ALWAYS powered, even when the keys are out, engine is off and the doors are closed and locked. The signal is labeled "Battery Positive Voltage". The radio isn't just a radio, it's a module like any other on the Class 2 Serial Data Bus. It just happens that this module plays music from radio stations, cassettes and CD's. The radio is turned on and off using commands sent to it over the data bus (or by pressing the button on the front). For example, when you are listening to the radio and shut off the car, the radio plays until you take the key out and open the door. When you do this, power is not disconnected from the radio, it receives a signal over the data bus that the key is off and the driver's door is open so it needs to turn off the display and stop playing audio (as if the power was turned off).

The radio is also used to generate warning chimes. It would be unable to do this if the power were disconnected when it was off. The radio only has a "virtual" power-off mode.

There are various reasons for doing this, but perhaps seeking to understand the architecture of these vehicles would be helpful before talking about some "dumbass GM engineer" and "tomfoolery". If it will help, I'd be happy to take you back 30 years and send you a big ole toggle switch you can screw to the front of your dash....

I'm pretty sure if you do a little research that you'll find the Bonneville is only one of crazy numbers of vehicles that uses this strategy, and not just GM either.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 am 
LE Member

ddalder wrote:
Ummmmm....

I'm not sure what wiring diagram you're looking at, but I have all the GM schematics for the Bonneville from 2000-05 and it is not labeled "switched power". You may have seen this in the wiring harness documentation for this adapter, but that would be because you need to provide switched power and not necessarily that the car inherently does this for you. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing the term "switched power" in a Bonneville diagram.

You are confusing old style radios with those that are installed in newer vehicles. The 2000+ Bonneville radio is ALWAYS powered, even when the keys are out, engine is off and the doors are closed and locked. The signal is labeled "Battery Positive Voltage". The radio isn't just a radio, it's a module like any other on the Class 2 Serial Data Bus. It just happens that this module plays music from radio stations, cassettes and CD's. The radio is turned on and off using commands sent to it over the data bus (or by pressing the button on the front). For example, when you are listening to the radio and shut off the car, the radio plays until you take the key out and open the door. When you do this, power is not disconnected from the radio, it receives a signal over the data bus that the key is off and the driver's door is open so it needs to turn off the display and stop playing audio (as if the power was turned off).

The radio is also used to generate warning chimes. It would be unable to do this if the power were disconnected when it was off. The radio only has a "virtual" power-off mode.

There are various reasons for doing this, but perhaps seeking to understand the architecture of these vehicles would be helpful before talking about some "dumbass GM engineer" and "tomfoolery". If it will help, I'd be happy to take you back 30 years and send you a big ole toggle switch you can screw to the front of your dash....

I'm pretty sure if you do a little research that you'll find the Bonneville is only one of crazy numbers of vehicles that uses this strategy, and not just GM either.

See, the thing about the "module" makes a hell of a lot of sense; however, I don't understand why it had to be "bundled" with the radio as opposed to being a separate system (as it is in other vehicles where aftermarket radios are essentially "plug and play"). To me, it makes more sense to keep that sort of thing seperate as a) they do different things and b) one of them is often times replaced with something not bundled with the other one. That bundling and making it hard on the end user to work on is the tomfoolery I am referring to, it's the same reason I don't like civics: there's no user servicability. For example, for my 05 civic you had to remove the front bumper to replace the radiator, and you had to remove half the A.C, the alternator, and the tire to change the timing belt. Does what I said make sense now? I'm sure they had they're "grand" reasons to do it the way they did, but it's over engineered for only being a radio.if they really wanted to do all these things it would have been much better to have the module sit behind the radio (unseen and unbothersom) and just hook into the radio just like every other car I've worked on that had switched power and chimes through the speaker system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:04 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
To have two modules to accomplish this would increase production costs, complicate troubleshooting and demand more space to mount everything in an already tight dash (to list just a few reasons). I believe GM's perspective would be that they don't need two modules to do this and they aren't in the business of making their vehicles convenient to install aftermarket electronics into. I'm not saying that your proposed strategy wouldn't be very handy for some people, but there's nothing in it for GM to make them want to do this. I would venture to say that the vast majority of the driving public keeps the factory installed stereo.

Having the radio operate as a device on the data bus allows them to easily integrate the steering wheel controls, send commands to the trunk mounted CD changer, change stations on the remotely located XM receiver and communicate with the VCIM (OnStar module), all basically over a single wire. Otherwise, they would need to run control harnesses to multiple different locations in the car. This adds weight, complexity and cost unnecessarily.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:42 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
If you connect the connector to the dock and lock and use a voltmeter, you can test the orange and red wires with the ignition on and off to see whic one you can use to power on your aftermarket HU. There should not be a need to run a separate wire for power. The original wiring is on retained accessory, so just check to see which one loses 12V when you turn off the key then open the driver's door. Use that to power up your HU.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)