It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:19 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SE
Hello ALL!!

Picked up my '03 SE yesterday, and after some clean up inside and out, (including the throttle body!), it is ready for better sound! I commute to work 40 miles each way, so car audio is an important part of my day.

Coming from a 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited, I am starving for phone integration with just a few miles in the Bonneville. I have rented a few cars with Apple CarPlay and liked it... so I am going that direction.

I have not done a car system in a long time, and never in a sedan so any input is appreciated.

Build List:

Sony XAV-AX100 head unit. Has a good reputation, and I got a smoking deal on one from a customer of mine.
Best BKGMK421 Install Kit
PAC RP3GM13 Install Harness
PAC SWIRC Steering wheel control interface
JBL GTO 5355 5 Channel Amplifier
Focal R130S2 Components for the front
Focal R690C For the rear
Infinity 1052W 10" Sub in a sealed box

I will also be adding a back up camera, upgraded shark fin antenna, and bluetooth microphone from my work.

The amp is rated at 55 RMS for the 4 main channels an 360 RMS for the Sub at 2 ohms.

Here is the link to the head unit:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/in-car- ... /xav-ax100

My plan is to use all of the pre amp outputs and inputs and have the JBL do all the work. Any opinions on using the amp in the head unit to power anything? Maybe add some 5.25s into the rear doors?

I have all of the wiring I need, and will be getting replacement door panel clips. What am I forgetting as I do the install?

Where should I put this amp? It seems huge at 19" by 11".

I will try to take and post pictures as I go along.

This site is AWESOME and I can't wait to contribute!

Jay

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:07 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The install started last night...

With a little disassembly.

Got most of the wiring mocked up, and the tweeters mounted in the door panels. The focals fit really well.

More to come tonight!

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:00 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

So... That was a huge pain in the rear. For a while it seemed like every time I turned around I was taking more of the car apart. Then I was cutting and soldering this and that, drilling holes, pulling wire… and then it all had to go back together.

Thank you so much for the members of this forum. I never could have done it without your previous knowledge.

I did a LOUSY job of taking photos, but it turned out pretty good.

Main Stack.

If you are going to go mech-less I highly recommend this head unit. It has a double din screen… but only a single din main frame. Gives me the room that you need for the multiple adapters and boxes you need to install for chimes and steering wheel controls.

The tweeters went in nicely. I removed the screen and separated the standard trim/base for the drivers. The front trim was almost a perfect fit for the stock doors. A little silicone and I was in business.

I had used an AKON mount in my previous car, and came up with a pretty effective way to mount it. No need for the “cigarette lighter” style plug. (I installed two USB charging ports in the storage compartment, details below.) I mounted it from the back poking through the vacant hole. I had to trim the mount on one corner to clear the curve of the dash, but it is solid enough. The current model is an AKON RVAMPS.

The head unit is CarPlay compatible, so my phone will be plugged in at all times while in the car. I won’t be using the ash tray… so I drilled a USB size hole in the first layer, and a lightening port hole in the actual ash tray. This allows me to hide the cord most of the time, but allow for changing it in the future, or if I need to access the USB for firmware updates on the radio.
I sell a 12-24V dual USB charger port to tour bus companies, and I mounted it into the storage space under the arm rest.

Everything else has been covered a ton on times in other posts in the forum. I only have a couple things to add:
Back deck:
The bolts that hold the stock speakers in are 7mm. With a deep socket they could easily be removed without pulling the deck apart.
Those rear bolts that hold the rear deck in. (Obviously installed BEFORE the rear window.) Once you get them out, get rid of the stock bolts and the nuts too. Go buy 2 ea 6mm x 30mm bolts with matching nuts and washers. One person holds the bolt head in the car, one tightens the nut in the trunk. Makes assembly MUCH easier and quicker.