It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:53 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
:dontknow:
I found this on ebay, no mention of Bose Heritage.
Will this work as Bose HU?

Also this stereo claims to be unlocked, well here look at the ebay page,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNLOCKED-2000-2003-Pontiac-Bonneville-AM-FM-CD-CASSETTE-Radio-TAPE-COMBO-Stereo-/182094463674?hash=item2a65ad02ba:g:wg4AAOxyYSJSAcS~

I found it on ebay.
I am wanting to go back to OEM Bose,
I guess my primary questions are
1. is this BOSE?
2. will these work on my car?
3. are these prices good?
4. What is Locked/Unlocked-Need for factory unlock or syncing?

I will buy the parts and work my way back to revive this system as long as the HU is good, which remanufactured should be a good indicator

What I know about my car,
I have 8 Bose speakers installed in all the right places
Wires in dash to OEM Bose HU were cut by Nephew, and car is in shop (as of this writing), trouble shooting many many problems.
Steering wheel controller does not work with Kenwood HU
Is this what the Bose HU looks like.?
I also found this one that has a :dontknow: RCA Jack for alternate input.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pontiac-Bonneville-2000-2002-Radio-AM-FM-Cassette-Player-w-Aux-Input-25731290-/171788212296?fits=Year%3A2001%7CMake%3APontiac%7CModel%3ABonneville&hash=item27ff601848:g:Z4IAAOSwbdpWWmRe&vxp=mtr

I will buy and work my way back to revive this system as long as the HU is good, which remanufactured should be a good indicator.

Thats it.
Thanks in advance.
:hail:
Bonnie V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:55 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
the Head unit has no bearing on if you have the 4(yes I have seen a stripped down SE with only 4 speakers),6, or 8 speaker system installed in the car. The Radio sends the L,R and common signals to the Bose amp in the trunk. The Amp then takes the HU signals and converts them into channels. IF your car is a 00-02 SSEI, then you have BOSE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
2003 SSEi wrote:
IF your car is a 00-02 SSEI, then you have BOSE.

Actually, 2002 SSEi is Monsoon. Only 2000-01 were a Bose amp.

MadMex... the radio in the first photo of your post will not help you. I can tell from the mounting tabs that the connectors on the back will not be correct for your car. The second photo is appropriate for the Bonneville. It has the spring clips on the side which snap into the dash. This is part of the Dock-N-Lock system which means the connector on the back of the radio will also be correct. As mentioned, Bose or Monsoon was all about the amp installed, not the head unit itself.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:01 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

ddalder wrote:
2003 SSEi wrote:
IF your car is a 00-02 SSEI, then you have BOSE.

Actually, 2002 SSEi is Monsoon. Only 2000-01 were a Bose amp.

MadMex... the radio in the first photo of your post will not help you. I can tell from the mounting tabs that the connectors on the back will not be correct for your car. The second photo is appropriate for the Bonneville. It has the spring clips on the side which snap into the dash. This is part of the Dock-N-Lock system which means the connector on the back of the radio will also be correct. As mentioned, Bose or Monsoon was all about the amp installed, not the head unit itself.

:banana: :bwoohoo: :banana:
No wonder I could not find a 8 speakers bose system, Makes sense now.

Thanks to both of you.
I read that the Bose Amp is under the dash near the steering Colum? You say trunk? Not to many places to hide in their I should be able to find it easily.
So a plug and lock is like a plug and play. I will have to find the Bose Harness OEM, My nephew cut the wires :banghead: :btruestory: so just one step at a time.
With all the brain power in this forum I feel I can accomplish any with just about nothing.

You guys are the Bees Knees =D>
Thanks
I think I will post a pic of the stereo hole.
:beerchug:

:woowoo:

OK I just Paid for this stereo, So when will you guys show up to do the instillation so I can see how it is done. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:59 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

I'm not sure where you read that the amp is under the dash, but in every 2000+ Bonneville (Bose or Monsoon), it is accessible from the trunk. It's mounted on the left angled crossmember behind the rear seat back.

Dock-N-Lock is simply a means by which components plug into the dash and are designed to mate with a connector mounted in the back of the bay without having to plug in or unplug wiring harness from the back of the device. In the Bonneville, the radio, instrument cluster and HVAC control head all use Dock-N-Lock connectors.

This is what the back of the Bonneville radio looks like...

This is what the radio bay looks like. In the photo I have lifted the connector out of the grooves that hold it in place. Normally it sits flush in the back of the bay and when you slide the radio in, the connector for the radio and antenna simply slide into the back of the radio to make contact.

As for the wiring harness, the amplifier connectors are part of the main body harness which extends from the front airbag sensor all the way back to the tail lights. If the wires have been cut, you're looking at splicing things back together properly.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:53 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Since you have a 2001, it's likely that there is an adapter in the dash that plugs onto the factory connector which was used for the aftermarket head unit. The 2000-01 instrument panel wiring harnesses use what's called a flexible printed circuit. There is no way to cut and splice these. In 2002 GM changed to a traditional wiring harness in the dash (picture in my previous post).

Here is a picture that was previously posted by Hawkjet of his radio bay...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:21 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

My Radio receiver has a lot of missing parts than what is seen in the pictures you have post.
Which I am very thankful for the photos.
So Nice of you :hail: ddalder to take yours apart so I can see inside the radio holder.
I think I am in some real trouble here, I do not see the Flexible Printed Circuit plug/adapter. I am going to find my camera and post a pic of what I have left in my radio receiver Port.
I am very :banghead:

[/img]
ddalder wrote:
Since you have a 2001, it's likely that there is an adapter in the dash that plugs onto the factory connector which was used for the aftermarket head unit. The 2000-01 instrument panel wiring harnesses use what's called a flexible printed circuit. There is no way to cut and splice these. In 2002 GM changed to a traditional wiring harness in the dash (picture in my previous post).

Here is a picture that was previously posted by Hawkjet of his radio bay...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:51 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

My guess is that the connector and flexible printed circuit are probably pushed up behind the dash to make room for the wiring and connectors that were necessary for the aftermarket system. It interconnects pretty much all of the dash components so I'm confident it's there somewhere (and hopefully not damaged) or you wouldn't have an operational vehicle. Be careful not to pull on things too hard. If you damage or tear the printed circuit you'll be removing the whole dash carrier to install a replacement.

The pic I posted is actually old. I took that back when I was installing the touchscreen navigation system out of an Escalade. I've accumulated two or three thousand pics over the years of my Bonneville in various states of disassembly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:47 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

In my '01, I have had no luck sliding in a different stereo and making it work. Even the exact same stereo out of another '01. It's my understanding that there's no code to make the car "recognize" a different stereo, but you have to go to a dealership with a scanner that can "flash" the PCM and make it accept the stereo. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:59 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
You need a TechII to get stock radios to pair with your car.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:13 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

As mentioned, you need a Tech2. The PCM really isn't a factor. The Tech2 communicates with the radio itself and instructs it to forget the existing VIN and learn the VIN of the vehicle it's currently installed in. There is no "flashing' (in the traditional sense) involved.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:24 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE Saved from the scrapyard.
Keep in mind that if you end up scraping the idea of a factory head unit in favor of an aftermarket, you need to buy the adapter that fits that ribbon cable. Also, I came to discover through the forum recently that unless you buy the adapter that brings back all your chimes and alarms for doors and lights left on, you will need to have a 12v switched accessory wire brought up to the dash to power the radio as the only power you will find with just the adapter alone is the memory ( constant 12v ) and the lighting power connector.

It seems that the Bonneville is one of the few cars that anything aftermarket is a bit of a PITA to work with...but there are adapters and modules to get a stereo integrated with your amp, steering controls and chimes. Just plan on budgeting an extra hundred bucks or better for the installation. ( btw, the METRA brand seems to be the preferred choice in aftermarket adapters for ease of use from my reading ).