It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:15 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 02 bonneville sle
I have a 2002 SLE that I'm trying to install my aftermarket head unit, but I'm running into some issues... I read so many threads in preparation, and I am not a newb when it comes to installing stereo equipment and working on electronics so I new what I was getting myself into..

I purchased a Metra GMOS-05 to retain chimes, and Metra ASWC-1 to retain steering wheel controls. I began by installing just the GMOS-05 to my stereo, but when I plugged in the harness nothing happens, my head unit does not power up at all. I pull out the DMM and verify constant 12V to ground, it was fine. The chime module however is not pushing the switched 12V to the head unit. I verified wiring and it was good. I spliced the head unit switched 12V to constant and the unit powers up and plays music just fine through all speakers.

I called Metra tech support, they were not much help and recommended I run my own switched accessory wire. I asked if that would give me chimes (I knew it wouldn't), so then he said I'll have to swap the interface module since it is not recognizing the data signal from my car.

I guess I'm curious if anybody has tried this GMOS-05 and had success.. I'd like to get a replacement, but after this headache I feel like I should have bought the cheapo harness and been done with this already. Debating whether saving $60 and getting the cheapo harness and losing chimes, or exchanging this unit for a new one and try again.

If I get a cheapo harness I think I could still get the ASWC-1 to retain the steering wheel controls at least, so I may not return it yet..

What do you all think I should do??

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:09 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: Black 2003 Bonneville SLE
I'll figure out what I have in mine for the RAP and chimes. Mine hooked right in and lasted for 2 stereo systems in my 03. I did have to make some splices for the steering controls though.

2003 pontiac bonneville Sle with kenwood sound system. Upgraded tweeters, door speakers, deck speakers, kenwood sub and amp. Rage r20 18inch rims. Front and rear KYB shocks and struts. GXP Strut tower brace.. She's a work in progress still

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE
This same thing happened to me with my 2005 bonneville and i did the same as you, crutchfield sent me another interface and told me to hook it up as the directions say and to turn the key into on position 5 times and on the fifth to turn on the car and that that should activate the interface. Im going to try installing it tomorrow and seeing if it works, ill post what happens

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:26 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 02 bonneville sle
I ended up getting a refund on the GMOS-05 rather than trying a new one out. I purchased the $7 GM07B cheapo harness on amazon and mostly followed the instructions from the other thread for wiring it up in the Bonneville, using IGN3 fuse for switched power.

I lost my chimes and RAP, but not a huge deal for the cost savings. If the GMOS-05 would have functioned properly I would have been happy, though. I think I just got a bunk unit.

I was able to retain the steering wheel controls with the Metra ASWC-1. I connected the Pink wire on the ASWC-1 to the 2 brown wires (Pins A1 & A2) on the GM07B harness. The unit powered on and learned the controls automatically without issue. As far as I could tell every single function on the steering wheel worked flawlessly. Very happy with the results on that.

Making room for my headunit was a giant PITA. OMG worse experience installing a head unit I've EVER had. Big thanks for everyone that ever posted in this forum, without this plethora of info I would have just given up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Pontiac Bonneville SE
mine ended up being a crappy interface, the new one i got worked perfectly