It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:10 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 SLE Bonneville

Run the power wire (i had two) behind the overflow tank.

Sit the power wire flush with the fender and run it into the fender as well. The hood wont sit on it so dont worry about rubbing.

After running the power wire in the fender make a small incision on the rubber shroud. Feed the wire(s) through then.
Inside of the car under the passenger dash take off the plastic cover. If you feed the power wire through you wont miss where the wire comes out at. It may be hard to see but be patient.

Remember to run your rcas and power wires on different sides of the car. On each side you should take panels off. There is already factory wires running from the front to the trunk so just follow those wires.

I would include pictures of the wiring harness but i dont wanna take out the headunit and risk cracking the plastic cover. If i ever do ill take pictures and upload them here. This was the only way i could run the power wire without drilling a hole through the firewall. Goodluck!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
That's really not a good way to run it. There's a perfect location in the firewall to pass a power cable through, and it's been documented before, by me, even. I'll search for it and see if the photos are still posted and if not I'll try to fix them.
[Edit] Found the thread but photo links are dead. If I can dig up the photos, I can post them on imgur and relink them. Give me a day or something.
post374647.html?#p374647

For the life of me I haven't been able to locate the images. I probably have them on a backup drive somewhere. If I locate them I'll fix the links. In any case, under the maxifuse panel there's an area of plastic that is bumped outwards. You can drill through that and about a half inch behind that is the steel firewall. you can drill through that and put a grommet on it, and a wire passed through there will come through just behind the glove box. It's PERFECT for running a wire into the cabin, and from there you can pass it down the built-in wiring channels under the door sills, behind the rear seat, and into the trunk to your amplifiers. It's a lot cleaner than going through a fender.

[Edit] NOW the image links are fixed. Apparently ImageShack disabled all free accounts from serving ANY images as of November 1, 2015, and users only have until January 31, 2016 to pay for a premium account or save their stored images. Fortunately I located them in time to grab them and re-host them on imgur.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500