It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
So today I noticed that my right speaker (the one in the passenger door) was making a noise and cutting out almost like it was about to just blow. The issue is that this only happens in XM. I tested it with just regular radio and a CD and it was perfectly fine. Would there be any reason why only the XM seems to sending out a broken right channel signal? Is it a separate system from the rest of the audio systems???

1926 to 2010.
Gone.... but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:21 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
The XM receiver module is separate from the head unit and is mounted in the trunk. There could be a fault with the module or the wiring between the module and head unit. I would try pulling the fuse for the S-Band Receiver (XM module) for 15 seconds and see what happens. It is fuse #15 in the rear fuse block. It's labeled SDAR and is 5A. Post the result and we can go from there...

Do you have the factory 12 disc changer? If so, it is working correctly? The S-Band module and CDX share the same wiring and input on the head unit so this can aid in troubleshooting.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:25 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

ddalder wrote:
The XM receiver module is separate from the head unit and is mounted in the trunk. There could be a fault with the module or the wiring between the module and head unit. I would try pulling the fuse for the S-Band Receiver (XM module) for 15 seconds and see what happens. It is fuse #15 in the rear fuse block. It's labeled SDAR and is 5A. Post the result and we can go from there...

Do you have the factory 12 disc changer? If so, it is working correctly? The S-Band module and CDX share the same wiring and input on the head unit so this can aid in troubleshooting.

No just a single CD changer. Thanks for the input ddalder. I love listening to XM and this problem is driving me nuts :banghead:

1926 to 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Was filling up my gas tank, as I was standing there I (for some ADD reason) decided to just flick the XM antenna a couple times. The problem went away... hahaha

1926 to 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:58 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
Sounds like your XM antenna maybe on the way out. When I bought my car, it had failed completely (no signal). Replacing the antenna with the new updated one fixed the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
That is very unusual because I don't believe XM sends left and right audio as separate data streams.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation