It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: OnStar Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:33 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
I had the OnStar module in my car upgraded this morning.

Non-Canadian customers will likely not have heard about this since the upgrade does not apply to the US. Our cellular providers are in the process of decommissioning 2G CDMA technology and the information provided by OnStar is that this is to occur throughout 2015. As such, the vast majority of OnStar equipped vehicles will no longer work here. SOME 2015's are equipped with 4G LTE hardware and require no modification. As for the rest... well upgrade or do without.

Surprisingly, upgrades are being offered for most or all vehicles originally equipped with OnStar back to the 2000 model year. I definitely did not expect them to go back that far. Granted some modules that work in 2000 model year cars also work in a few vehicles that are 5-6 years newer, but I really didn't even expect they would upgrade 2006-07 vintage cars.

The good news is that the upgrade is generally fairly painless from an ordering and installation perspective. For the Bonneville it cost me a one year subscription to any one of the currently offered plans. OnStar pays for the new hardware and the cost to have a dealership install it.

But, there's always bad new it seems...

OnStar definitely needs to coordinate and disseminate their information a little better. When I ordered the upgrade the OnStar adviser (specific to the 2G CDMA upgrade team) told me it includes 4G LTE WiFi Hotspot capability with 3Gb of complimentary data. Well, it doesn't. In fact, it seems that there are absolutely no new features/options available with this upgrade. They claim it isn't possible to make this work with the older vehicles. The upgrade for the Bonneville is only 3G.

OnStar also changed their option plans citing this required upgrade as one of the key factors (according to another adviser). It is not possible to purchase a "block" of minutes any longer that are good for one year. Instead you must purchase a fixed monthly minute plan for a fee. Minutes are not carried over from one month to the next. I was told minutes could not be carried over after the upgrade which is why they no longer offered these "block" plans.

No new features after two upgrades and increased restrictions on plan options is really making me less interested in maintaining my subscription. OnStar put a group in place responsible specifically for this upgrade. Even when talking to one of these individuals, the adviser frequently had to ask another person to provide an answer.

OVERALL this whole experience has been moderately disappointing.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

Post subject: Re: OnStar Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
Some G8 people have been talking about this. It seems some early 09's are gaining Bluetooth out of this.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers & a 10" Alpine Type R Sub, all the watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override, Monroe Reflex struts, red calipers
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

Post subject: Re: OnStar Upgrade
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
Interesting. The new module installed in my car has a Bluetooth symbol suggesting it's capable of supporting it but it doesn't appear to be activated in any way. Even for my 2008 STS, OnStar told me there will be no change in functionality (although there is some limited Bluetooth capability already).

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation