It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:58 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonneville SSEi
Hi folks,

I've looked through this thread, and I'm still a little lost... :roll:
I've seriously considered buying a new car, but after test driving a few of them, I just couldn't find anything I like better than my Bonny!

It needs a little work, but it has less than 95k miles, so I'm just going to fix what needs done and keep it... ;)

To the point of this post:
I'd really like to upgrade the audio system to something that has "Bluetooth", so I could sync it to my phone and play tunes from it... I really don't want to lose the controls from the steering wheel though...

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a head that would fit my car (w/Bluetooth), while still keeping all the stock features functional without a lot of hassle. From what I've read, it looks like you'd have to be pretty careful with your choices!

There's some awesome info in here as far as physically changing the head, but could anyone recommend a replacement that would meet my needs with the least amount of aggravation?

Thanks,
Dave

**Edit**: FWIW, my current (stock) head has a CD player as well as a cassette drive, and 1 burnt out light behind the LCD display... One more reason why I want an upgrade. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:59 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
all you have to get is the right connector (someone will chime in with the right one you need)
And then you can buy any head unit you want alot of guys went with Double Din head units as long as you have the exact connector for your car the limits on the actual head units dont exist its all about the connector then you can install anything
Hope this helps

Member #3848
2002 Black Bonneville SE Sold But Not Forgotten
2002 White Bonneville SSEi Project car

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:14 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Thanks for the reply samples08! :)

I'm an impatient sort.. And since I didn't get any quick replies, I bought a Bluetooth/FM transmitter to try out... Not sure how well it'll work, but should certainly be a lot easier than changing out the head (which is working fine other than the 1 burnt out light ;) ).

Here's what I bought:
http://www.amazon.com/Streambot-Wireles ... ransmitter

It was fairly cheap, and got decent reviews. It will be here this weekend.
If anyone is interested I'll post my thoughts on it. If it sucks I may be pestering you folks for more info... :roll:

Thanks again,
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:40 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
You're going to need the GMOS-09 wire harness so it can retain on-star it says but it also transfers all saved data from your computer to the new system, just went through all this 2 weeks ago, I had mine professionally installed for free because I bought the deck from them, its a way more expensive wire harness too. This harness is literally made for 2000 ssei Bonneville's, you can thank GM for that

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:40 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I have a Delco Bose head unit that has an ipod auxiliary cord and charger installed in it, but it needs a new face plate. That way you could remain OEM looking and have Aux if you have an iPhone 4 or newer. You would just need to go to the dealer and have it programmed to the car with a TechII scanner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:51 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
You do not have to worry about losing OnStar. Your OnStar is analog and GM stopped supporting it in 2008. There is no way to convert it to digital. But if you want to keep your chimes, you need a GMOS-09 adaptor. As far as the Head Unit, and double din will work but if it has a motorized door then it will have to mount outside the dash trim so it will not look as good. All modern HU have steering wheel control adaptors, bluetooth, back up camera ports, USB ports or iPod ports to play your own music and control it from the touch screen. and lots of other features. Stay will the better brand names. Look on The Sonix and Crutchfield web sites for good choices. You will need to cut out in back of the radio to get it to fit - with a dremel. And Metra makes a mounting kit for 00-05 Bonnevilles. You have to wire the low voltage RCA pin plug outputs to the Metra adaptor to go to the amp. A lot of folks replace the amp and speakers as well.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:09 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

I have a Kenwood Double Dinn headunit in my car. I like it alot, much easier then others like Pinoneer, Sony ect..
* Headunit
* Metra GMOS-09
* Metra SWAIC box for steering wheel controls
* BT compatible headunit
* Dash Kit (metra)

Installation is the hardest part. I have all my stock BOSE speakers and added a Sub/amp. sounds good. I dont use Onstar, its installed so it should work but i dont use it.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

First off, let me say Thanks again! You folks are awesome.... :wink:
I got the Bluetooth/FM device today and I'm pretty happy with it!
http://www.amazon.com/Streambot-Wireles ... ransmitter

For anyone interested, here's the text of the review I left on Amazon:

I just received this today, so I can't speak for long term durability...
That being said, the build quality seems pretty sturdy!

In the area I live the FM band is saturated, but I went to this website and decided to use 99.3:
http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/locate ... i&state=OH
Most of the signals ~this range were pretty weak...

A lot of the music on my phone is in a loss less format (flac). The audio quality exceeded my expectations!!!
It sounds pretty darn good, and I haven't experienced any interference up to this point. Here's a list of Pros/cons.

Pro's:
Sound quality is VERY GOOD.
Device is fairly small and doesn't interfere with anything else in my car (2000 Bonneville SSEi)
Installation/sync was simple
PRICE, it beats spending a bunch of cash, and the hassle of replacing a perfectly functioning stereo head :)
Receiving a call was simple and I didn't have any problems with feedback or complaints from the person on the other end.

Con's:
The only complaint is that you can't place a call without picking up your phone. Would've been nice to have a voice dialing feature without the need to use the phone.

So far, I'm extremely happy with this purchase and would recommend it to anyone who has an older car they want to add Bluetooth capability to...

I just spent $1500 today fixing suspension parts on my Bonny (shocks/struts/sway bar/tie rod ends), so the fact that I could get the Bluetooth functions I wanted for <$40 was pretty sweet... :)

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:14 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
1967 Plymouth Sport Fury 3
bobgto65 wrote:
You do not have to worry about losing OnStar. Your OnStar is analog and GM stopped supporting it in 2008. There is no way to convert it to digital. But if you want to keep your chimes, you need a GMOS-09 adaptor. As far as the Head Unit, and double din will work but if it has a motorized door then it will have to mount outside the dash trim so it will not look as good. All modern HU have steering wheel control adaptors, bluetooth, back up camera ports, USB ports or iPod ports to play your own music and control it from the touch screen. and lots of other features. Stay will the better brand names. Look on The Sonix and Crutchfield web sites for good choices. You will need to cut out in back of the radio to get it to fit - with a dremel. And Metra makes a mounting kit for 00-05 Bonnevilles. You have to wire the low voltage RCA pin plug outputs to the Metra adaptor to go to the amp. A lot of folks replace the amp and speakers as well.

Want do you mean lose chimes? Which ones in particular?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:03 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

When you open the door, or if your car has special needs like mine, when you put it in gear if the security light is on

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:27 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
1967 Plymouth Sport Fury 3
this has no effect on the chime when you press the locks for the delayed lock though does it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:02 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
It will not chime, but the locks will work as normal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:08 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Hi Folks...

Although the little FM thing worked fine, I didn't like the fact that I couldn't place calls with it without picking up the phone. I broke down and had a Kenwood DDX 372BT installed. Total price was just under $700. They used the GMOS-09 and ASWC harnesses that you folks suggeted.

Props to Audio Sensations in West Chester OH (Cincy area). These guys did an excellent job and retained all SW functions/security and chimes.
It was a little pricey, but I'm really happy with this solution! :beerchug:

Here's a couple pics:

W/flash (blown out but shows install better):

Here's one sans flash:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

nice, good choice on the kenwood deck. the system just works much better then using adapters to make factory system to do stuff it was not designed to do.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...