It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aux input
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:28 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: Pontiac Bonneville SSE 1999
I am looking at adding an aux input to my 1999 SSE.

It has a stock bose with cd player but no tape deck. I was looking around and saw that pac made a module for the bonnevilles which can plug into an ipod. I went on amazon and saw a used IPAC-OEM for 10$ + 4.99 shipping and since it also included the AB-GM9 cable which should work for my car. I also purchased a $5 ipod 30pin to bluetooth audio in the hope that the controls would also be forwarded from the unit(ideally)

That was yesterday. Today I looked at a datasheet and it said that for my car i needed to have the tape deck with the aux/tape button for it to be compatible. I wont feel to be bad about it not working since it wasnt very costly but I would really like it to work. Is there a way to make this work with my headunit? If not what is my best route for adding an aux port or ipod 30pin connector. Ultimately I would like bluetooth and aux to bluetooth or ipod to bluetooth are very cheap and I would guess would be better than buying a costly module. I have read about just straight soldering onto the cd output to add a 3.5mm jack and playing a blank cd and that might be what i have to do. Is there a different cable I could plug into the cd input of the head unit that would plug into the ipod module to make play controls work or is that wired entirely differently?

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: aux input
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:47 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: (RIP 10/31/15) 1997 SE
05 Mercedes S500 4Matic
I seriously admire you for trying to get the iPod and bluetooth unit for the iPod controls on the cheap, but I don't think you're going to get any of that working with your stock 99 Bose system.
For my 97, the top of the line Pioneer DEHX9600BHS for around $180 at Amazon was the obvious solution to getting bluetooth phone, streaming, and apps, along with two USB inputs that you can just plug an iPod or a USB thumb drive straight into, along with an aux port, HD radio, and more. Short of getting a model with slide out navigation screen, I think it was a no-brainer end-all solution.

But I already had an aftermarket stereo set up with component aftermarket speakers and amplifiers in the trunk to drive them, so my upgrade was just swapping a head unit and wiring up the harness adapter. For you to go aftermarket, you'd likely want to replace your speakers, add amplifiers, and run new wiring, not to mention a dash kit, which all adds up. —Which kind of makes your low-cost adapters solution attractive again. Some of the guys had methods of wiring in an Aux port if you had the trunk mounted CD changer. Do you have that? Otherwise, short of retrofitting your car with the wiring harness of a vehicle with the extra options of tape deck or CD changer (which seems like more work than the reward would be worth, I'm back to recommending going all-aftermarket with a new head unit.

R.I.P. 10/31/15: 1997 SE: "Silver Shadow"
`05 Mercedes S500