It is currently Wed Jun 12, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bose Audio
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:34 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Member #8782
Basically, I have a 2001 Bonneville SSEi with the Bose audio that came stock. This car is in the process of being overhauled to be sold, but I would like the Bose audio system installed in my 2002 Bonneville SSEi that has monsoon stock gear.

Now, I know my way around a car somewhat, butIi have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to electrical or audio stuff. Is there a guide on doing this? Would I have to replace everything? Anyone else ever do this? On a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be?

Thanks

180 DEGREE THERMOSTAT, AUTOLITE 104'S, ZZP VOLTAGE BOOSTER
APPEARANCE MODS
LED INTERIOR LIGHTS, TAN INTERIOR TRIM, CLEARED CORNERS
:bpylons:

Post subject: Re: Bose Audio
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:14 am 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi.

LOTS of Mods
the Monsoon is a better sounding system stock for stock.

Bose uses weird Ohm's to make the amp work and the wiring between the 2 are similar but different enough youd want the factory service manual to do lots of wire tracing and splicing.

Id leave the monsoon if it was me personally

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:20 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Member #8782
Well I deffinitely want to upgrade my audio, at least a little. Whenever the radio is turned up 80% volume, sound quality suffers quite a bit. How would I get a decent set up set in for relatively cheap? I'm also looking to get some small subs. I don't listen to rap, I listen to rock, but the bass is lacking I feel, so small subs should do the trick, I think

APPEARANCE MODS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:57 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 1997 Grand Prix GTP
Bose uses 3ohms I believe, instead of 4.. so your head unit/factory amp would struggle to push them in the new vehicle since it's set up for Monsoon. Get yourself some coaxial 6x9s, and if you replace the front speakers, and have separate tweeters in the doors, get a new set WITH CROSSOVERS. I made the mistake of assuming the bonnevilles have crossovers in, and they don't. Blew up my brand new tweeters within an hour. As far as subwoofers, get at least 10". They have the best sound quality, and would sound better for rock/country music than anything bigger, in my opinion. Bigger is not always better. I'm running one 12" Crossfire, and it's louder than any pair of 15"s in town. All depends on matching the ohm load to the amp, and getting a box with the right cubic airspace.

My dad owns a car audio shop, where I have worked for 2+ years. Any other advice you need, let me know.

1997 Grand Prix GTP "Black Ice, 'cuz it's slick" - 17" Motegi Racing Rims, Hankook Optimo Performance Tires, 'Big 3' Wiring Upgrade, Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake w/ Ram Air, Larger SuperCharger lines, AutoLite 104's, U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete, Cat Delete, Turbo Flowmaster Mufflers. 342bhp, 327 lb-ft torque, 9.091 boost psi @ 6,012 rpm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:53 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Member #8782
Thanks I really appreciate it. I would probably have to take it to an audio place to have stuff installed, since I'm fairly clueless on how to do electrical stuff

What would I all need to buy to have a semi decent set up? Price range just under 250, if possible, but willing to go higher.

What do you recommend to get what I'm looking for?

APPEARANCE MODS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

We sell powerbass brand as our entry-level. They fit right into the OEM-sized holes, and majorly improve the sound. Any coaxial set will sound better than the components that are most likely in the car now. You get what you pay for, obviously.. but I would start with the front speakers.. get a set with component 6.5"s, crossovers, and tweeters to replace the factory, since that's where you'll be sitting and hear the most sound coming from. Replace the rears with a coaxial as well.. You'll get more bass and a fuller sound. Also, you'll hear voice and instruments better through the tweeters. Eventually, I would add an amp to the speakers, because no matter what you do, the stock system can only put out so much.. and they will always have a 'max volume' point where if you turn it past that, it will just sound bad.

1997 Grand Prix GTP "Black Ice, 'cuz it's slick" - 17" Motegi Racing Rims, Hankook Optimo Performance Tires, 'Big 3' Wiring Upgrade, Weapon R Secret Weapon Intake w/ Ram Air, Larger SuperCharger lines, AutoLite 104's, U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete, Cat Delete, Turbo Flowmaster Mufflers. 342bhp, 327 lb-ft torque, 9.091 boost psi @ 6,012 rpm.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
I'd say go with some components for the front doors, and put a sub in the trunk. The other speakers you could replace with some coaxials if they sound bad. Should make you happy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:20 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
I would start with a new Deck and stock amp/speakers. I noticed a good difference in sound quality when i installed a deck in my stock bose system... then if you want more bass add a sub or 2 in a GOOD box (the box is VERY important in how much and deep your bass is), I did 2 12" subs in mine and sounds great.

S

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:57 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2004 Bonneville GXP
I believe the crossovers are built right into the Monsoon Amplifier. There are 8 separate outputs from the Monsoon, one for each speaker in the car. And also if you remove the monsoon amplifier, the radio may not work with a different amplifier. The radio volume is actually controlled by the amplifier. My suggestion is to replace the large speakers in the front doors which are already set up for midrange by the monsoon unit and the subs on the package shelf. The ones on the package shelf are set up by the amplifier as subs so if you want midrange out of them you will need to tap into the outputs for the rear doors. On my '04 GXP the package shelf subs sound pretty good, better than the ones on my '02, which were blown out (Check your factory subs from inside the trunk and make sure they are not blown out - the cones were separated from the outside frame on both of mine) They are just 6 x 9 subwoofers. I think the factory Monsoon speakers are only 2 ohm. Anyone else, please correct me if I am wrong about any of this. You can tap into the either the left or right sub output if you want a sub in the trunk.

2009 G8 GXP PBM, M6 9580 miles, no mods, sold 08/15
2009 G8 GT SBM 36,000 miles, modded 430 whp
2002 Bonneville SSEi 203,200 miles (sold 3/2014)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:12 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

If you want the easiest path, you could leave the factory Monsoon amp to deal with your highs and mids, running through some good components in the front, some coaxials in the rear doors, and disconnecting the rear deck speakers. Then add a nice sub with its own amp to power the sub that would cover your lows.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:08 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
Glad I read this thread before starting another one!

I wouldn't mess with changing the Bose system into the Monsoon car. If you're having bass/crackling issues, check your rear deck speakers. Disconnect them one at a time (just open the trunk). I just found out that I have a blown speaker (crackling whenever any moderate bass was pushed to them). Hopefully my bass will improve once I replace it.

If the rear deck speakers aren't enough bass, I was looking at adding this for space reasons.
Rockford Fosgate P300-10 Subwoofer Enclosure

Can anyone confirm the ohm rating for all the Monsoon speakers? Are they all 2ohm?
What about the wiring configuration? I think I read that the rear deck was wired to work as a 1ohm setup and something like the fronts are 2ohm woofer and a 2ohm tweeter to be the equivalent of 4ohm.
Anyone know what size the tweeters are? The aftermarket has 3/4" and 1".
Does the amp power everything or does the head unit power some speakers?

Taken from another site:
Quote:
6 1/2" components in front doors
5 1/4" coax in rear doors
6x9 woofers in rear shelf

All crossover duties are built into the Monsoon amp located against the back of the rear seat towards the driver's side. Speakers are 2 ohm. Have not come across published power of the system. Head unit and amplifier talk through a data bus. Head unit appears to have a fixed volume output. Changing volume actually sends a command to the amplifier to adjust gain, similar to newer premium systems found in some Cadillacs. Cannot replace head unit without bypassing amplifier as of yet (have been told a databus/onstar/premium sound interface piece is in the works but last I checked was not released)

Realistically, due to the combination of 2 ohm drivers and crossovers built into amp this is a car where normally I'd either leave it alone and add a subwoofer or go big and replace the entire audio system.

I have found mention of using either Infinity or JBL speakers since they are available in 2ohm.

Any of this make sense? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. It seems there's information on the Bose systems, but there's nothing on the Monsoon. I want to get my facts straight too (along with everyone else in the same boat) before purchasing anything.

Sorry for thread-jacking.

1998 Chevy S10 ZR2 ECSB L35 5spd -- winter truck
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi -- stock (trying to keep it that way...we'll see...)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:43 pm 
Posts like an L67
Posts like an L67

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
Bose=2ohm, rear subs=1ohm ea in series to make 2ohm.

From what i have read the monsoon system runs a 2ohm load as well. I dont know if it distributes it different from the amp or if they are in parallel/series (Dual 4ohm wired to 2ohm or vice versa.).

1995 Monte Z34: T04e "60" turbo, 42.5# injectors, Borla Catback, OBDII swap, DHP Tuned, Much more...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

redzmonte wrote:
Bose=2ohm, rear subs=1ohm ea in series to make 2ohm.

From what i have read the monsoon system runs a 2ohm load as well. I dont know if it distributes it different from the amp or if they are in parallel/series (Dual 4ohm wired to 2ohm or vice versa.).

Ohm load splits in half, not doubles. If you have each sub wired to 1ohm (which would mean you have dual 2 Ohm subs), it would be 0.5ohms at the amp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:50 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I think Monsoon rear deck speakers are 4 Ohm. At least that's the way it is in Grand Prixs I've read. Can't imagine they'd change it for the Bonneville.

I know the non premium sound system in the 2000+s has 8 Ohm rear deck speakers, at least mine did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
I thought that the bose doesn't run true 2 ohms, more like 2.8 or something whacky.......because bose is stupid. :bash:

Also the amp isn't exactly the bad part of the system. the speakers however are just cheap paper cones with thin and weak baskets that allow a lot of flexing when fed too much power, which is part of what can make distorted sound. They usually have a weak foam as the surround of the cone which is more prone to rotting away over time than the new butyl rubber surrounds used in most aftermarket speakers today, which causes them to tear away from the basket. What this means is that if you get some good aftermarket speakers with nice composite cones that won't flex you should be able to crank it with very little to no distortion.

I just installed a new system in our boat that consists of a cheap Alpine deck (as in like an 80 dollar one with only 1 preout), 4 Polk MM series marine 6.5 coaxials, and a Polk PA D4000.4 amp. with good speakers and a good amp i can turn the stereo all the way up with no distortion at all. which is crazy!

Its all about getting good gear, and IMO the worst part about the Bonnies sound is the speakers, the stereo and amp actually seem decent for stock.

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Member #8782
Thanks, Zeik, really helpfull!

I think I'm going to go to best buy one of these days and check out their speaker selection. Will I be able to keep my speaker covers that are in my car at the moment? I want the stock look of the speakers.

APPEARANCE MODS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:05 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 1988 LE
2000 SSEi
You should have no problem keepin the stock covers. I believe these speakers mount to the door not the door panel so if you just install them without the covers they come with it will look stock. Also i would suggest not actually buying from best buy. Check out Sonicelectronix.com and Crutchfeild.com for cheaper pricing. Whenever i buy audio i usually use Sonicelectronix. You can get stuff almost half off usually new in box. Best buy could be benifical for refrences though, but don't be swayed by the big brand name stuff like alpine, kenwood, pioneer, and especially kicker. Its all overpriced and the entry stuff is crap IMO. I like Polk stuff and also Precision Power.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

2000 SSEi R.I.P. Dead now :( INTENSE FWI, polished LIM, P&P supercharger, custom radiator, standalone trans cooler, trans-go shift kit (donating to the 88)

2002 2500HD Silverado with the 8.1 Vortec and Alison tranny. Likes to eat GT Mustangs and lots of tires, and all while stock!

yourgrandma wrote:
And thats how I got my mom pregnant.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:07 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Member #8782
Thanks a ton, I'll definitely check them out!

APPEARANCE MODS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Zeik75 wrote:
Also i would suggest not actually buying from best buy. Check out Sonicelectronix.com and Crutchfeild.com for cheaper pricing. Whenever i buy audio i usually use Sonicelectronix. You can get stuff almost half off usually new in box......... don't be swayed by the big brand name stuff like alpine, kenwood, pioneer, and especially kicker. Its all overpriced and the entry stuff is crap IMO. I like Polk stuff and also Precision Power.

Hope this helps and happy shopping!

^I like this guy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:45 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

I almost always buy off Sonic if I'm buying new.

Polk is my favorite for how it sounds but I find them easy to blow. Pioneer are my favorite speakers.