It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:24 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
Okay so this is just some information for those of you who are interested in using the PAC PXDX in order to have an auxiliary input in your car.

Things needed:
PAC PXDX (listed at 79 bucks, but you can find some on ebay for less than 50. I payed 39 bucks for it.)
PXHGM2 Harness( 10 bucks on ebay)
20Ft stereo cable male to female(12 bucks at radioshack)
PAC IS335- this is to have an actual auxiliary input in the car, I mounted mine inside the center cubby.(13 bucks on ebay)

NOTE: IN ORDER TO DO THIS YOU MUST HAVE A 12 DISK CHANGER IN THE TRUNK! EVERYTHING IS DONE BACK THERE!

The box gets installed in the trunk and then has to be routed to the desired area. Center console in my case.

This is a two birds one stone kind of job if you want it to be. The box gets mounted in the trunk. So i decided to route the 20 ft cable from the trunk, under the rear seat and under the carpet into the center console. Makes everything look clean and no wires sticking exposed. (Female side goes to console and male side remains in the trunk)

I personally pulled out my entire interior and decided to clean things up and rust proof the floor. You don't have to do this, but I personally think it is a good idea seeing as these cars are known for having leaks and it building up under the carpet. If you do find water, i advise you look into it and fix it.

Installation is simple.
Remove the twelve CD changer in back by removing the bracket from the car first(3 nuts). I personally separated the cd changer from the bracket and reinstalled the bracket seeing as i do plan on making some sort of small storage box out of it to have in my trunk. If you don't want to do it. Order the trim carpet panel from haro(if he has it in stock) so that you don't have a hole in that spot where the changer was.

Then take the harness and connect it to the plug that connected to the changer.

NOW BEFORE YOU PLUG IN THE HARNESS TO THE PXDX BOX: Set the DIP SWITCHES 1,3,8 in the ON position. If you want to boost the volume up(which you probably will like i did) also set number 6 to the ON position as well. NOTE: The manual says to have only switches 3,8 set on the ON position, but the unit will not work without the number 1 switch also set! Finding this out was a case of trial and error with a good amount of internet research on how the other GM cars have their set ups. Also, know that if you are setting switches: Unplug the box, set the switch(es), and then plug it back in.

Plug the harness in now. Go inside. If you see the CD image on the radio, then you are good to go.

Plug in the RCA ports into the PXDX box. From then just connect the stereo cables to actual auxiliary input that is in the center console.

Tuck things away and strap the wires around the inside of the trunk so that there is no hanging mess back there and everything looks nice and tidy!

Also, I think it is a good idea to wrap some sort of foam on the PXDX box if you leave it hanging in the back as it can swing and bang around in back. I plan on making some sort of mount for mine and secure it to the wall itself. Double sided tape of some sorts will also work.

It isn't difficult do. Just was something I wanted to try while I had to fix some water leaks.

For those of you without the cd changer in back, there is a write up on this forum on how to wire up aux input from the dash directly but i do believe your unit needs to have a a cd slot in the radio itself. ( this is the cheaper alternative also!)

Now you can listen to your ipod without having to using one of those FM transmitter boxes which are known for causing static in certain situations.

-Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SSEi
2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
This is a perfect write up if you have a 6 changer. Just did it on a 2002 SSEi.

I also purchased these to make it blue tooth

Kinivo BTC460 Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kit for Cars with Aux Input Jack (3.5 mm) - Supports aptX https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY33FDP/re ... ClLPr4pIUF

BlueRigger 3.5mm to 2RCA Stereo Audio Cable Male to Male (12 Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008UG7PDQ/re ... RM4JGjgkG2

CableWholesale 3.5mm Stereo Coupler Female/Female Audio Coupler (30ST-STFF) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I963FE/re ... 5zb4A8B7AA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:55 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
For all those still using a cassette tape adapter.

Anybody use a cassette tape as an auxiliary input?

When the the weather turns cold mine would always say tight tape. Take adapter apart and remove the gears. This will cause a broken tape error.

Did you know that the radio has an adapter mode to prevent the tape from being ejected if it thinks its to loose or broken. Key on, radio off, cassette adapter ejected, press and hold tape button for 5 seconds. Cassette symbol will flash. Reinstall adapter. It will not eject for broken tape unless you eject the tape. They you have to do it again.

Works in 2002 ssei with radio with cassette and CD.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:28 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Another option is to send your head unit to 1factoryradio.com, where they will install an aux input in the head unit. I had them do it to my 2001, worked perfectly. A little pricier at $105, but not much, and much less effort.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
I've had lots of Bonnevilles (I think 6) and I even went with 1factoryradio for the 2004 GXP Radio. It needled bulbs and I figured I try the Aux Input. They fixed the display lights but not the lower button lights. They added a auxiliary input but the volume was drastically lower than the radio volume, so if you actually went to do the radio you got blasted! Also you could hear the radio in the background during quite spots or if you paused the music. It did work but I consider it on par with or less than the cassette tap method. The PAC PXDX method has good sound quality, I'd call it HIGH FIDELITY!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:54 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Hey gents, please take note of the date on the top of the thread. Next time, make a new post and link back to the old one. The OP is probably not around anymore anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

2003 SSEi
2004 GXP
Sorry, I New it was an old post but the OP was spot on! This is CD quality aux input! I’ve been using a cassette adapter for more then 8 years. This sounds good!