It is currently Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:23 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEI
In the past year my tape deck died. Normally, I would not be too upset with this loss; however, I used the tape deck in order to play my iPod (via one of those tapes with a 3.5mm plug coming out of it). Annoyed and frustrated (especially with the use of CDs), I decided that it was time to install an after market stereo. After doing some research through the site Crutchfield, I discovered that the the Bonneville 2000 SSEI has a very shallow compartment for radios. I decided to take on the task and attempt to get this thing in there by any means possible... this was where I was being dumb. For those of you who are familiar with the setup, the harness is semi-attached to the car itself so one can simply slide the stock radio into place. In order to get this Pioneer 7300 to fit, I needed to make it a free floating harness so I could eventually stuff it back behind the plastic compartment the radio was housed in. this worked out grrrrrrrrrrrrreat -- sort of. When the procedure was all said and done, I turned on the car and found that the radio wouldn't turn on...time to troubleshoot. After perusing the setup, I found that I inadvertently cut through part of the ribbon cable. More specifically, the far right side of the cable next to this rivet looking thing that appears to hold the ribbon in place. I'm fairly convinced this is the power part of the ribbon cable. The incision is roughly 3-5mm long and is fairly perpendicular to the edge of the cable. It is very hard to get at this cable, and even if I can, I'm not sure I can mend it. Suggestions would be most welcome...please!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
Ya... thats a big whoops.

The ribbon cable can't easily be repaired, it would be best to replace it. I do have one available if you are interested.

You would have to take out the entire dash to get to it. Here is an idea of how involved a project you are looking at: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17281&hilit=over+my+head&start=20

2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 52k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 230k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:16 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

New News: apparently it wasn't a clean cut. There's still power going to the radio and it's fully functional; however, I need like... 1/8th of an inch more to get the unit i got to fit (depth wise). In order to do this I want to get the ribbon unattached to the plastic (aka removing the plastic rivet that holds the two together) so that I can remove more plastic from the back of the compartment. How do I go about doing this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:25 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
I put an aftermarket radio in my 02. I got the wiring adapter and unclipped the stock plug from the back of the opening.To make sure it wouldn't come undone I used a zip tie to hold it together. The antenna isn't stock. It's more european style and you'd need and adapter for that too. Again I unclipped the stock one and pushed it back into the dash behinid the "box" the stock radio fit in. Other then that it all worked fine.

"Unfortunately there is one thing standing between me and that property: the rightful owners."
- Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding - Groucho Marx - Animal Crackers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:30 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
copied from the other thread:
ohnoicuttheribboncable wrote:
Almost got this aftermarket thing installed. It was working... until I started driving around, at which point it mysteriously turned off. Turns out that the "key on" or ignition signal that the radio needs to stay on was connected to the lighting power. This clearly is not ideal. Where can I find a signal to keep my radio on when the car is turned on? Do I need a fancy adapter from metra or another company (one that also would make my steering wheel controls work)? Thanks in advance!

if you nicked the ribbon cable, that could cause it act retarded intermittently. what harness do you have installed now?

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I used a Scosche GM07B wiring harness. On the back it claims that red wire is the 12 volt ignition/switched. When I connected it to the red wire on the pioneer HU nothing happened. It wouldn't turn on or anything. I then connected the orange wire on the harness to the red wire on the unit because I figured it would give me something since it was the illumination controls.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
red is switched, I imagine the damaged ribbon is to blame

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:23 am 
SE Member
SE Member

check this out though:http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11124

No where on there does it mention an ignition based power source...

And It turns out that I didn't damage the ribbon cable, just a plastic cover that was adjacent to the cable which I earlier misidentified as the cable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:39 am 
SE Member
SE Member

(by the way the HU I have is a Pioneer DEH-7300BT; if anyone has any recommendations for steering wheel adapters, they would be much appreciated)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Try putting the constant (yellow), and ignition (red) together from the radio harness. Then tie those together with the constant off the car's harness. If the radio has power, you will have to find somewhere to get ignition power from. Same thing happen to me, and I had to run a wire to the ignition fuse under the rear seat.

2000 SSEi 4th Pontiac!! 231,xxx Current mods: Gutted AirBox w/ K&N drop in. Cleared Corners. Future mods: 3.5 pulley, 180* tstat, hi flow cat, solid motor mounts, Red-Tinted Turn Signal Tails, Projector Headlights, Turn Signal Mirrors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:08 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I wired it into the sunroof nbd...crisis averted. Radio/subwoofer are successfully installed. My username is no longer accurate but whatevs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:52 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Sunroof nbd? What's. That? Did it cause any problems

2000 SSEi 4th Pontiac!! 231,xxx Current mods: Gutted AirBox w/ K&N drop in. Cleared Corners. Future mods: 3.5 pulley, 180* tstat, hi flow cat, solid motor mounts, Red-Tinted Turn Signal Tails, Projector Headlights, Turn Signal Mirrors.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:24 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Sorry....I meant "no big deal." I wired it to the right-hand wire in the sunroof control harness to retain the RAP functionality (making the stereo turn off when the doors open after the car is turned off). There is only one problem and that is when the sunroof automatically goes back, it apparently draws to much current to be able to keep the radio on, but a capacitor wired in parallel would easily fix this.

good stuff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:20 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
It would be best to put the radio on a new RAP circuit, but you could use the sunroof lines you tapped into, to activate a relay, so only the sunroof is pulling real amperage from the OEM lead.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:48 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Where would another RAP Curcuit be. I ran my radio switched power to the Cigarette lighter. It works, but it take 10 mins to cut off, and that can be annoying :)