It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: aux input
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1993 SLE
ok guys,bear with me on this one please. ive been doing research on this one for days. ive seen the post by pontiak and john deer boy and others on sites like mp3.com but im still stumped. i didnt want to make another post but i feel like ive been wasting too many days on this.

what im trying to do is wire in an aux input connector to my stock radio in a 93 bonneville with cassette and equalizer. some of the information in the posts have been a little confusing and id just like some more clarification. i believe the consensus is that taping into the cassette input yields poor sound quality from the amp which is supposedly tuning out high frequencies because its supposed to be a cassette playing. i know about the guy on ebay doing the installs and i read about how pontiak did it but it requires a tape in the deck.

does anyone know if the method use by the guy on ebay is the cassette tap in method which will give poorer sound quality or is it the kind which replaces the radio signal to the amp which should give better sound quality.

what id really like is just be able to connect the aux input with good sound quality and not have to use a blank cassette.

if the most popular installation method could be detailed here i would really appreciate it.
thanks.

Post subject: Re: aux input
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:42 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 95 bonneville sse
http://notesfrommosquitohill.com/2009/0 ... or-10.html

try tht site for info

2 DC Level 5 18s
Cactus Sounds K12
4 runs of 1/0
14 batts.
Mtx 4244 and (2) kicker ix404

YouTube.com/user/pitchdarkshadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

BFF_Larry wrote:
http://notesfrommosquitohill.com/2009/02/how-to-hack-an-aux-input-into-a-delco-tape-deck-for-10.html

try tht site for info

it looks like the guy on that site used the method of tapping into the cassette signal on its way into the amp. i was under the impression that there is another way of accomplishing this mod without using the cassette signal and/or having to have the tape in the deck. a way to wire it straight into the amp for better sound quality. ive read in a couple places that using the cassette signal is not optimal because the amp is expecting a cassette quality signal and therefore also cuts out some high frequencies to reduce noise.

i remember seeing a post somewhere, i think on this forum, where someone soldered wires straight to the back of the unit. ive been looking for that post for a while but cant seem to find it again. i dont know why i didnt bookmark the thread. if anyoen knows what im talkign about please link me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:09 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Year and Trim: 1993 SSE

Member since Nov 2003
Hey i don't know of any other method of creating a true aux input in your stereo without using the cassette audio wires. You're right, Pontiattak was able to make an aux input using only the extra pins on the back of the headunit, but i dunno how he did it...he didn't elaborate. Shoot him a message and see if he'll explain it here, cause i'm curious too. What i do know is that the method i used has crystal clear sound quality. I've done it to both the CD player in my car, and the tape deck in my living room, and the sound quality is the same in both as far as i can tell. I have a suspicion that the noise reduction is done in the cassette player unit itself, because if i push the Cr02 button on the headunit while using the aux input, the sound doesn't change at all.

I need to make a really nice tutorial on how to do this, but it's been so long, i'd have to start from scratch again. The modification isn't hard though, just trace three wires, cut, and splice. I was an agriculture major, not electrical engineering.

http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/ ... 5&p=112068

http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/ ... 10&p=67077

1993 SSE Since 11-12-2000
2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

Last edited by John Deere Boy on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
I just tried Pontiattak's method of simply hooking into the unused pins 11-14 on the back and it worked. I'm uploading a video tonight and will post it tomorrow.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

John Deere Boy wrote:
I just tried Pontiattak's method of simply hooking into the unused pins 11-14 on the back and it worked. I'm uploading a video tonight and will post it tomorrow.

im retarded, was it "pontiattak"? i knew i was probably spelling it wrong. But john deere, im glad you saw this post and chipped in. id really like to see that video. i was just about to give up since i found some head units that i could change the color to match the dash and i was going to buy one of those custom dash kits that light up "bonneville" to make it a lil nicer. id rather keep the stock look which i think is really good.

you say the cassette method is crystal clear. id just like to ask how much you care about audio because people have different opinions and tastes, obviously. i wouldnt consider myself an audiophile but i feel like i can identify good clean sound compared to lets say less than 128kb rips of mp3s. and i can tell when highs are missing from a song. have you also came across the posts that mention this "flaw", do you think they are just being too picky?

and i actually really love your SSE. Ive been looking to change my taillights to the ones you have or ssei and getting dual exhaust. but those taillights seem to be pretty hard to come by.

Last edited by kemicala on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:00 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
I can't compare apples to apples between the CD player aux and tape deck Aux, because one is in my car, and the other in my living room. But in the car, the Ipod shuffle is the limiting sound quality factor, even if it's loaded with 320kbps songs. I have to plug in a portable CD player to get perfect sound. The living room speakers aren't good enough for me to guarantee the that the tape deck input is as good as the CD player version.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

John Deere Boy wrote:
I can't compare apples to apples between the CD player aux and tape deck Aux, because one is in my car, and the other in my living room. But in the car, the Ipod shuffle is the limiting sound quality factor, even if it's loaded with 320kbps songs. I have to plug in a portable CD player to get perfect sound. The living room speakers aren't good enough for me to guarantee the that the tape deck input is as good as the CD player version.

ok. im going to give this method a try then. i think he also mentioned a floppy drive connector fits right on the pins so ill give that a try and since i havent cut my tape deck wires yet ill see if i can find a tape to see if it selects or plays both inputs. i should think it would select though because i think those pins might be for an external cd player or such.

when you say the common grounds are just tied together do you literally mean, just connect the 2 wires together? and also, did you have a tape in the deck when you were testing? i hope not because i have no tapes or have any idea where i could get one these days.
thanks.

Last edited by kemicala on Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:42 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
Yeah, literally tie the two grounds together because the headphone cable coming out of the ipod only has one ground, so both grounds in the headunit go to it. And yeah, you have to have a cassette in the tape deck, otherwise it plays the radio. I'm anxious to hear back from you on whether the aux and tape signals both get played at the same time.

You can get one of these on ebay if your floppy drive connector doesn't work out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Factory- ... ccessories

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

Last edited by John Deere Boy on Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:09 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
11 and 13 might be reversed, but it doesn't really matter.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:20 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

John Deere Boy wrote:
Yeah, literally tie the two grounds together because the headphone cable coming out of the ipod only has one ground, so both grounds in the headunit go to it. And yeah, you have to have a cassette in the tape deck, otherwise it plays the radio. I'm anxious to hear back from you on whether the aux and tape signals both get played at the same time.

You can get one of these on ebay if your floppy drive connector doesn't work out.

well i got good news and bad news. the good news is just like you and pontiattack said, the ports in the back work. the bad news is i put a tape with music in the deck..yea i actually found one, and both signals went through, so i could hear the tape music and the aux input music.

i know i could put a blank tape in there like pontiattack does but any idea how to bypass this? because my tape deck is so loud when theres a tape in there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
Just cut these two wires.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

John Deere Boy wrote:
Just cut these two wires.

i was really hoping to avoiding having to open up the radio. about how many screws do i need to take off to get to those wires?...just to give me a better idea which screws i actually need get off to get inside.

im thinking i might go pick up a cd deck at a junk yard and just plug in the harness i made. all i would then have to do is make a blank track cd, correct? or am i wrong to assume the pin outs will be the same.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003

There are only 3 screws to remove, it's very easy. The amp just pulls away towards the back to remove, and slide forward into those plugs to reinstall. A caveman can do it.

Working CD players of this generation usually go for $200, tape decks for $10...that's why i have 3 tape decks and only one working CD player. And yes, the CD player HAS to work, or it only plays the radio.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:51 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
If you REALLY don't want to do that, just pull all the tape out of your cassette and see how much random noise comes through.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:42 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

John Deere Boy wrote:
If you REALLY don't want to do that, just pull all the tape out of your cassette and see how much random noise comes through.

you are the man with your illustrative skills. the thing is ive actually been using the deck without a tape (i just push the trigger in with a pen) and it is noisy as hell. so i doubt a blank tape would help. when i used a tape adapter i got the same results so i returned those. but just to make sure, will cutting those 2 wires make the tape deck not move the gears and what not or will it just negate the need of having a tape inside. because what i need is for the moving parts in the deck to not move.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:35 am 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
Yeah the motors are noisy, i'll agree. The wires i said to cut are signal wires, so it will still physically have to play a tape. ( i thought you were talking about signal noise earlier) I don't know how to get around this, because the headunit has to think it's playing a tape, or it reverts to radio. I don't think you'll notice the deck noise when you're going down the road with music on, but if you want, pick up a spare tape deck on ebay for $15 and try disabling the motors, but I think that if the headunit detects an error with the tape, it spits the tape out and goes to radio again.

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

Last edited by John Deere Boy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:58 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

glad i asked then. thanks for the clarification. the motors on mines are very noticeable even with the volume uncomfortably high. luckily i dont get much if any signal noise but for some reason when i got in the car this afternoon the deck was deadly silent. im thinking temperature might have something to do with it but im not sure. ill see how long it stays quiet for and if it comes back ill just go pick up a cd unit from the junk yard. thanks a lot for all your help and input, JDB. you saved me from compromising and buying an aftermarket deck that would look too out of place since they all look so futuristic these days. if i can find a way to modify the dash trim ill definitely try to squeeze a double din nav unit in though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:16 pm 
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Member since Nov 2003
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23404&p=243493&hilit=double+din#p243493

2011 Camaro 2SS
2006 Silverado 3500 4x4

Last edited by John Deere Boy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
If you have the deck open, couldn't you just cut or desolder the wires going to the tape motor?

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler