All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cassette adapter?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:18 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2001 Bonneville SSEi
1992 Bonneville SSEi (Sold)
Hi all

So today I was thinking I was wicked smart and I went out and bought a cassette adapter so I could use my phone to play music through car speakers. I pop it in wicked excited and it didn't work just kept popping the tape back out. Now could my tape player not be working correctly or would I need a special one or do they just not work in the 00+?

Thanks Keith

Fan over ride~NGK Tr 55's~180 Drilled t-stat~Clear Corners~Angel Eyes~Tinted Tails~Magnaflow Cat

Post subject: Re: cassette adapter?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
It should work, sounds like your tape deck isn't working correctly. Have you tried a real tape in it? (if you can find one)

2005 Town & Country Limited | Butane Blue Metallic | 270k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 190k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:50 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Galaxy Silver SSEi
I did the same thing and my adapter kept on getting spit out as well. So I took the adapter apart and removed some of the connecting gears allowing it to turn freely so that the tape player did not think that it had a jammed tape. I think I had to play around with which ones I kept and which ones I got rid of, because after I removed everything inside, the player said that the tape was broken because there was no resistance at all. Works great now, no CD's flying around in my car and 1000's of songs to listen to through those great sounding Bose speakers.
Wayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:04 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Ive been searching around my house for old tapes but I think I donated them or some thing but Im sure Ill find one and test it out.

So WDEAN what would i have to actually take of of the adapter to get it to work?

Fan over ride~NGK Tr 55's~180 Drilled t-stat~Clear Corners~Angel Eyes~Tinted Tails~Magnaflow Cat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:30 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

I can't remember exactly, I bought 2 at the same time, one for the SSEI and one for my wife's venture, I'll have to open them both up, take some photos and post them with the differences...will try to do it by the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:57 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

That would be great if you could do that.

Thanks again
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Daily Driver: 2011 Impala LT
Weekender: '95 Aurora
Yeah, Delco cassette decks are quite persnickety about cassette adapters. Back in the mid-'90s, I bought a Magnavox portable CD player that came with a bunch of accessories, including a cassette adapter. The cassette player in the '91 Cutlass Supreme I had at the time used to spit it out every time. I finally bought another adapter--a Sony, I think--and it worked fine. I worked for a lady a few years ago who drove a Buick Regal of about the same vintage as my Cutlass, and she actually wedged her cassette adapter in place with a small screwdriver.

I have a couple that I used with my iPod, but the sound quality was just painfully bad, so I ended up going with a wired FM modulator that I got on eBay for $10. The difference is night and day.

Last edited by human on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:18 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

So when I first opened both adapters up, they looked the same...Then it came back to me. With the unaltered adapter the tape player would say "Tight Tape" and spit out the adapter. When I turned the adapter wheels they would turn freely in one direction, but not at all in the other. So I pulled it to pieces and took out some of the connecting gears, put it back together and tried it again, this time it said "Broken Tape", and spit it out. So the tape has to have some resistance for it to work. So i pulled it to pieces again and found a small plastic tab under the rubber wheel that locks the wheel and stops it from turning. I shaved this tab off, put it back together with all the gears in place and it works great, with no loss of sound quality.

I took some photos, but for some reason I can't add them to this post, or my gallery - if anyone wants to start a new thread of how to do that i'd appreciate it.

hope this helps

Wayne

Last edited by wdean on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
Just to pipe in (but late albeit) I used a tape adaptor in my Buick Regal and it worked great. The second one at least. The first one was from 5 below and wasn't worth the $5 I paid for it. Sound quality was HORRID. The second was from Target, it was a Belkin brand and the quality was superb. Factory MONSOON audio unit and the quality I got from that was actually better (so far) than what I've experienced from my Scoche FM modulator which cost a lot more than that was a serious hassle to install*. Scosche thinks it's my antennae cables (which I doubt but) they sent me replacements so I'll try that next time I'm fooling around behind the dashboard. Just so people know that not all Delco audio units have that issue of bouncing the adaptor and not all cassette adaptors sound bad. (and that there are some things to be aware of for noobs considering an FM modulator). Although when all was said and done it's a good way to iPod your Bonne.

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm 

Year and Trim: 09 G8 GT
I have a Phillips adapter that I paid $5 for at a surplus store, works amazingly great.

09 Lexus LS460 AWD -- 94,000km -- Daily Driver
09 White Hot G8 GT -- 155,000km (fuelly) -- LS3 Cam -- GM LS3 CNC Ported Heads -- Kooks 1 3/4" Long Tube Headers -- Solo Catback Midsection -- Hooker Maxflow Mufflers -- Pat G Tune -- Rotofab Intake -- Tein S-Tech Springs -- GXP FE3 Dampers -- BMR Subframe Cradle Inserts -- BMR Subframe Connectors -- Forgestar F14 Gold 18x9 +40 -- Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/45/18 -- Maverick Man Carbon Fiber Spoiler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 99 SE
99 Suburban 2500 LT
68 Beetle
I bought the Monster iplay from Crutchfield and have never had an issue with it. The sound quality is what can be expected from a cassette player that is 12yrs old.

1999 Bonneville SE with the heart of a 07 Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:25 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I borrowed a monster one and it worked but the sound quality was horrible. I think Im gonna try the FM transmitter and then at some point wire up a AUX cable.

Thanks for all the help and input :bwoohoo:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:29 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '97 SSEi
Transmitters have the worst reputation. I tried one once and it wasn't even worth going to the store for. My FM modulator isn't too bad though installation had some "learning experiences".

'96 Chevy Camaro - White w/Black / fire red interior, 3800, manual, loaded, T-tops, Bose - SOLD! Check it out!

Last edited by jonnevilleSSEi on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Daily Driver: 2011 Impala LT
Weekender: '95 Aurora
Ditto what jonnevilleSSEi said. I got my wired FM modulator on eBay for about the same cost as one of those little transmitters and the sound quality is much, much better. Installation was pretty easy except for mounting a switch on the dash to turn it on and off.

jonnevilleSSEi wrote:
Transmitters have the worst reputation. I tried one once and it wasn't even worth going to the store for. My FM modulator isn't too bad though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:09 am 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
wdean wrote:
I did the same thing and my adapter kept on getting spit out as well. So I took the adapter apart and removed some of the connecting gears allowing it to turn freely so that the tape player did not think that it had a jammed tape. I think I had to play around with which ones I kept and which ones I got rid of, because after I removed everything inside, the player said that the tape was broken because there was no resistance at all. Works great now, no CD's flying around in my car and 1000's of songs to listen to through those great sounding Bose speakers.
Wayne

I would like to know the gears you removed because when I put my tape in, it reads "tight tape"

1996 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi (sold....**sniff**)
2001 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 106K (I'm back in black....YAAAAAY!!!!)