It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:16 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: Currently searching for a Bonneville...
I'm moving my sound system from a previous vehicle to the new Bonneville.

Included in that is a nice set of 6x9 coaxials, but I discovered that the factory system has a low pass crossover somewhere, filtering out the high frequencies. I want full range going to the 6x9's, any way to do this? Is the signal going to the rear doors full range, or does it have low frequencies filtered out?

The factory sound system looks more like an exercise in using cheapest parts possible, than a name brand Bose system. Cheap paper cones with woven surround, not what I was expecting. Are the rear doors and 6x9's wired in parallel? I noticed the output with the aftermarket speakers was pathetic, I had to add an external amp.

Also, I found the small amplifier in the trunk. I plan on adding a couple amplifiers at some point, and I need a 12 volt remote turn on wire. Is there one on the factory amp I can tap into, so I don't have to run a wire all the way to the ignition switch or radio? If so, what color is it? Anyone have a chart indicating which wire is which on the factory amp. Many thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1992 Bonneville SSEi
Do you have the factory BOSE system? and are you keeping the factory head unit?

M.E.C.P. Certified Installer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:10 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Shae wrote:
Do you have the factory BOSE system? and are you keeping the factory head unit?

I do have the Bose System. I ended up running the new 6x9's off the stock radio output (which is the Bose amplifier input), and leaving the rear door speakers running off the Bose Amplifier. I then used the amplified output for the stock 6x9's (which were no longer connected) as the input to my sub amp-- The amplified output was the only way I could get my sub amp a decent signal.

All is well now. I still have a lot of tweaking to do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:17 am 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2001 SSEi
1991 SE
FYI, I had my old sub hooked up like that and it looks like the factory system reduces bass output as the volume goes up. I was also told this by two different stereo installers and noticed this myself.

2001 SSEi | Galaxy Silver | GenV supercharger P&P | Intense 3.2 MPS | Intense FWI 4"| Custom PCM | TOG Ceramic headers | Magnaflow 3" cat | 180° stat | Aeroforce scan gauge | PRJ plug wires | PRJ fuel rails | Silicone vacuum lines| AP103 plugs | 3.2 MPS | 42.5# injectors | Intense 1x cam kit | YT 1.8 Rockers | 105# springs | Meziere HD pump | N* Tb | 185mm MAF | 2" Phenolic Intercooler | Oil pressure kit | L32 short block | 5% overdrive SFI Balancer | L67 heads custom ported | EBC USR Rotors | EBC Red stuff pads | Custom HID Fog lights, with HI-beam over ride | Polyurethane motor mount | Energy Suspension end links | GXP Shocks/Struts | Custom Drop springs Front, Rear FE5 Springs | GXP Strut tower Brace | GP GXP 18x8 Rims | Polished Exhaust tips | Triple Edge High Performance Street/Strip 4T65E-HD |

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am 
Retired Gearhead
Retired Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi, 79 Firebird, 88 Jeep, 11 Yukon Denali
I've replaced all the speakers in mine with much better quality speakers while retaining the factory HU and Bose amp. Better sound now but I have to really turn up the volume to get the same loudness as before. 5 or 6 bars sound great. Even so, it's much cleaner sound but lacking big bass punch since I don't run a sub. I like lots of trunk space. :wink:

Others I've seem can only get the really good sound by replacing the HU and adding a sub with lots of amp.....but then you lose the steering wheel controls unless you add a remote converter and it costs a pile of cash. :roll:

2000 SSEi - SilverBullet - 78,000 kms, 4" "straight shot" custom headlight ram air inlet, TOGs, 1.9's, Lsd, 2.9-3.4"MPS 10-15 psi, Ported GenV, EGR eliminated, OR pushrods, oil volume kit, trani cooler & shift kit, Titanium retainers, 90 lb springs, 160 Stat, 42# injectors, Fuel pump voltage increase, Wideband O2, 3" to dual 2 1/2" Magnaflows, Snow Meth/water injection, after SC temp gauge, 255/50WR17, timing commander set 15-18*@WOT, 2 speed Fan over-ride, disabled DRL, Solid motor mount, Meziere Electric water pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, Drilled & slotted rotors/ceramics, GXP sway bars and STB, Upgraded and rebuilt transmission with ZZP 2500 rpm stall TC, Pioneer Bluetooth stereo with sub and 800 W amps, PB 13.5 quarter, (April 2014 car of the month)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:02 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

The factory systems are all known for "rolling off the bass" to protect the factory speakers, as you turn up the volume, and thats the downside if your running a sub amp off of a factory deck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I dunno about you guys, but my amp/sub combo sounds great on the factory system provided I use the amplified signal for the line level converter input. The sub volume matches evenly to the mids/highs as the volume is turned up. I had my doubts at first, but overall it is one clean sounding system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

I'm glad your happy with it, I have done many installs where the line level converter's work quite well, GM hasn't ever been to bad for those kind of setups, honda's are the worst for bass rolloff though haha

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2000 ssei gone but not forgotten
part of the reason the aftermarkets didn't sound right is that the bose speakers are lower impedance, the fronts and rears are 2 ohm and the rear 6x9's are wired as one 2 ohm speaker I run an aftermarket deck and infinity reference speakers in the doors and a small 2 ch amp running a pair of kappa 6x9's in the back

Current fleet:
2009 G8 v6, 2009 Avalanche LTZ, 2013 Volt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:39 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I had a feeling that was what was going on. I was going to measure with an ohm meter but hadn't gotten that far. FWIW, JBL, Infinity and some others make 2 ohm aftermarket speakers.