It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:22 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 BMW 535xi
So...I have seen them...
I would like to put a double DIN head unit in my SSEi. Love my GPS but would like to have an integrated unit along with IPod controls. I have the head unit picked out but need info on installing it.
What has to be bypassed, removed, can be reused, et al?
I have done several systems before in various vehicles. The toughest being a 1999 Cadillac STS which had a very similar radio to what my Bonneville has now. Unfortunately, I also know that it involved removing basically everything from the original system.

So...who has done it and what did it take?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2005 GXP
what stock sound system do you have?? none amplified, bose, or monsoon?

that would help me alot.

i have a double din in my GXP. i can tell you all the info you need

Fully tinted, 5000K HID hi/lo & fogs, LED conversion (interior/red rear signals/reverse light/license plate/trunk/sun visor/glove box/switch backs), turn signal mirrors, JVC KW-NT3 Navi & BT, KV-CM1 Camera, 2x JL 13TW5, JL G-Max, black & chrome emblem, 20" black & red, clear corners, center tail light up, half tinted tail lights, cross drilled rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, and more..

Black GXP. One of a kind. RIP.
G35 Coupe 6MT. Stockishhh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Fully tinted, 5000K HID hi/lo & fogs, LED conversion (interior/red rear signals/reverse light/license plate/trunk/sun visor/glove box/switch backs), turn signal mirrors, JVC KW-NT3 Navi & BT, KV-CM1 Camera, 2x JL 13TW5, JL G-Max, black & chrome emblem, 20" black & red, clear corners, center tail light up, half tinted tail lights, cross drilled rotors, Hawk ceramic pads, and more..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:46 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2005 Bonneville GXP
Hey there,
Well I just purchased an 05 GXP....I'm also looking for info so I'll jump in here too....I've got the Monsoon system. I also want the in dash navi system. I went on crutchfield but they didn't have much information on what actually fit an 05. Your HU looks pretty sweet, what is it? And definitely what do I need? I'm not new to car stereo installs, just this car kinda scares me haha!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:26 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2008 BMW 535xi
I have the Bose system in mine. Head unit is prety much just the signal generator and then the amp in back does the driving o' the speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

05joenov wrote:
Hey there,
Well I just purchased an 05 GXP....I'm also looking for info so I'll jump in here too....I've got the Monsoon system. I also want the in dash navi system. I went on crutchfield but they didn't have much information on what actually fit an 05. Your HU looks pretty sweet, what is it? And definitely what do I need? I'm not new to car stereo installs, just this car kinda scares me haha!

to install a double din on a Bonneville GXP with Monsoon and retain Onstar & Chimes you will need the following:

1- A headunit ofcourse (I bought the JVC KW-NT1 which is loaded with BUILT IN Navi, Bluetooth, DVD/CD/MP3, Front USB, Front and Rear Aux, and SD card reader)
2A- A Harness, the 2 im aware of are PAC C2R-GM32R & Metra GMOS-09 (i bought both and tried both, Metra GMOS-09 for the win. PAC felt cheap, bad sound quality, and the chimes come out of the harness instead of coming out of the speakers like factory)
2B- You will need to cut one of the wires on the GMOS-09 Harness or PAC C2R-GM32R (they were mode for Bose systems, So cutting that wire will fix the problem More info one which wire here
3- Antenna adapter to fit into the after market, you will need a volkswagen VW-10 antenna adapter.
4- Dash fitting kit (depending if you want single din or double din, i have double din)
5- You will need to drim the dash behind the original headunit, nothin too crazy, very easy to do using a dremel or a drill Before and After
6- You will need a PAC harness (Optional, depends on which HU you buy) to retain factory steering wheel controls.

ZLTFUL wrote:
I have the Bose system in mine. Head unit is prety much just the signal generator and then the amp in back does the driving o' the speakers.

you will need the same as above, but you will not need step 2B, since the harness was originally made for Bose

Someone correct me if im wrong on something or if i missed a step,

also check my original thread when i first joined this forum and started my install, it can be found here

thanks
Samz

Last edited by SAMzGXP on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:46 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 1997 Bonneville SSE
2005 Bonneville GPX
I have a 2005 GXP and I installed an Alpine W205 headunit which came with a P1 navigation add on where you just slide the screen like you were going to change DVD's and it slides into the open slot on the Alpine. The Nav works great but you would have top get a wire adapter that keeps you door chimes and it will run with your monsoon Amp. It has massive output because when I have the volume at 6 its loud. I also wired in a PAC 7 so you can watch dvd's while driving, very easy install. Also I installed a steering wheel control adapter which allows you to keep your sterring wheel controls. I wasnt done their, I also ran audio video under the back seat and wire up t 9.5" dual screens in the head rests. I love doing car video because I also have a 2005 Yukon Denali XL with an Alpine d-310 where the 6 disk changer was in the lower dash and I wired in a PAC 7 also for mobile video also Steering wheel adapter, also I wired in the Alpine NVE M300 navigation which is ran from the D-310. What great about the m300 nav is that it does require any DVD's to load the maps, its all preloaded and USB firmware updateable. Here is where my Deanli seperates itself from the rest I wired in a 8 inch screen in the radio slot where the Navigation/CD radio used to be so I have a 7" Alpine slide out screen and a 8" slide out screen so the driver doesnt need to look down to watch the movie( I know its very dangerous to watch movies while driving" but the way I have mine set up I can glance at the road and look at my 8" screen by just a slight movement of the eyes. I also wired in a 19" drop down screen for the rear seat riders riders. Whats nice about it is I can run the navigation and watch movies at the same time. I can have the movie on my two screens up front or have the movie going on my 8"screen and have the navigation visual on my D-310 lower screen. I also wired in a viper 5900 security and viper it took me a week of going at it after work for about 5 hours a night. I tried to get the wiring diagram from Viper for my Deanli but they werent to helpful, that wanted $50 a manual. I had a fluke 87III so I went to work by testing all the wires like they said in the installation Manual. I hope this helps and Im sorry for the lenghty post.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

I'm interested in seeing some pictures of your bonne install, I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of the head rests, I might consider some if the install is nice and clean looking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:59 am 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Pontiac Bonneville SE
Didnt know you could keep the steering wheel controls. That was 1 of my concerns about "upgrading" my stereo.

Leather heated seats, No sunroof. Stock af.