It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Head Unit.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Galaxy Silver SE no mods
Bought from here. NOTE: Kenwood only warranties those units sold by authorized dealers.
http://www.cartoys.com/products/product ... erralID=NA

Better pics are here
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_184 ... -X993.html

I will have the unit in along with a modded kit to house a PC scoop 3 speed fan installed by Tues. I will post pics. Can't wait.

:banana:

Post subject: Re: New Head Unit.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:18 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Location: Oregon WCBF'04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11 Survivor
Year and Trim: .
93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Ok, obvious question:

Why are you installing a CPU scoop and fans? There's absolutely no need for it whatsoever. In fact, it can actually cause audio distortion with those high-speed DC fans screaming in there. Not just to you, but interference for the audio through the speakers as well.

PontiacDad at WCBF '04: Cruise control? That's like surrendering!
Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:46 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

willwren wrote:
Ok, obvious question:

Why are you installing a CPU scoop and fans? There's absolutely no need for it whatsoever. In fact, it can actually cause audio distortion with those high-speed DC fans screaming in there. Not just to you, but interference for the audio through the speakers as well.

I notice that you do not have a 2K or above Bonnie. The reason for this is that there is no enough air circulation in that plastic box where the OEM HU went. Also, I decide what goes in my car, thank you. I highly doubt a 0.3 amp DC fan will cause any "interference" with any sound. I have done this in the past and had great luck with this. Posting pics soon!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:06 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1994 K1500 Silverado
Nice deck!
I sold my friend the same exact one... AWESOME radio. love the little details it gets into also.

you're gonna enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:40 am 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
viper79 wrote:
willwren wrote:
Ok, obvious question:

I notice that you do not have a 2K or above Bonnie. The reason for this is that there is no enough air circulation in that plastic box where the OEM HU went. Also, I decide what goes in my car, thank you. I highly doubt a 0.3 amp DC fan will cause any "interference" with any sound. I have done this in the past and had great luck with this. Posting pics soon!

I'm trying not to laugh here. Serious face.....serious face.

No, I don't have a 2k. And nobody with a 2k ever had to add a fan either. There's no need. Will your stereo run 'better' than any other 2k aftermarket setup here? Nope. Not a bit. You may very well decide what goes in your car as you stated, but you posted the idea on a public forum which invites input from all members, and I have to tell you that's one of the most ridiculous unnecessary audio mods I've ever heard of. Nobody here has ever had heat problems with aftermarket HU installs on a 2k or any other H body. Those units are designed to be packed in the dash like that. Don't waste your time on fans and scoops. It won't gain you one milliamp of performance.

The ability of an electrical device to cause audio interference has nothing to do with it's rating in amps. It has to do with the frequency or rpm's it runs at, but that point is moot because there is absolutely no reason to do it in the first place, unless your circle of friends is impressed by this type of thing, and you're after bragging rights.

Comprehensive guide to troubleshooting, rebuilding, and modifying Eaton Superchargers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:15 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

willwren wrote:
viper79 wrote:
willwren wrote:
Ok, obvious question:

I'm trying not to laugh here. Serious face.....serious face. ...
...and I have to tell you that's one of the most ridiculous unnecessary audio mods I've ever heard of. ....

I love this jest and bullish behavior from an admin. Next time I share a positive thought I will keep it to myself.

willwren wrote:
Nobody here has ever had heat problems with aftermarket HU installs on a 2k or any other H body. Those units are designed to be packed in the dash like that. The ability of an electrical device to cause audio interference has nothing to do with it's rating in amps. It has to do with the frequency or rpm's it runs at, but that point is moot because there is absolutely no reason to do it in the first place, unless your circle of friends is impressed by this type of thing, and you're after bragging rights.

I love the fact that you actually searched to a similar thread started by me and stated the "bragging rights" deal...is that not what this forum is for? And as for "Nobody here has ever had heat problems" well I may be the first, my HU gets very hot...I don't know why, but it does. I ain't "nobody".

I just want to know why you are belittling me and my shared thoughts when I did nothing to provoke any thing. my eyes stare at your sig....

Last edited by viper79 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:17 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

99bonnieSE wrote:
Nice deck!
I sold my friend the same exact one... AWESOME radio. love the little details it gets into also.

you're gonna enjoy it.

Thanks man, I will post picks soon!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:23 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Viper, look carefully before casting stones. I didn't dig up your other topic, someone else did. Your HU is SUPPOSED to get hot. All amplifiers do. Mine does, and everyone else here too. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Don't start throwing the Admin card at me either. I have the same rights to post on this Forum as you do. If you post an idea, you open yourself up to comments on both sides of the fence. I don't have to alter my posting habits because of my rank. I'm a member of this Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:34 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

willwren wrote:
Viper, look carefully before casting stones. I didn't dig up your other topic, someone else did. Your HU is SUPPOSED to get hot. All amplifiers do. Mine does, and everyone else here too. And there's nothing wrong with it.

Don't start throwing the Admin card at me either. I have the same rights to post on this Forum as you do. If you post an idea, you open yourself up to comments on both sides of the fence. I don't have to alter my posting habits because of my rank. I'm a member of this Forum.

What I should of said was, I respectfully disagree... I fully understand that amps get hot, but not to the point of melting the back of the "plastic box" that the OEM unit goes or browning out the unit. And for casting stones...I just just through the ones that came at me since I had none to throw. I did take you advice in the first post and buy a new unit, which will arrive tomorrow. I came here to show support of others no matter how silly it may be. The other Bonnie site treated me like crap with out cause. Ask a simple question and get shat on. I just did not like the tone of the first reply to this thread. The words used were wrong and could have been written better. Once again, I am here to show support of others no matter how silly it may be.

Thank you,
Viper79

Last edited by viper79 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:04 pm 
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

93 SSEi
95 SLE (SC)
97 Buick LeSabre
Viper, you have to expect opinions on BOTH sides of your idea. If you're afraid of the answer, don't ask for it by posting. If you post, you will get varying opinions. When you get a negative response to your idea, don't take on the chin as a personal attack. I think your IDEA needs re-thinking. You were not personally insulted in this topic at any point.

In this case, I strongly suggest you install your new head unit without fans. You don't know how hot it'll get until you try it, and there's not a single car on our Forum since 2002 that ever needed cooling fans. We're talking in the tens of thousands of members/cars, with at least a third having aftermarket HU's.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:35 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Understood. I report my finding at 1400, Sir.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 1992 SSE
2009 G8 GT
If it smells hot or drops into some sort of protection mode relating to overheating, a fan could help. But then, there's likely a problem with your deck that will probably get worse.

WHITE WHINE - 1992 SSE Supercharged 236.26 ci (.040 Over) 15.090 at 90.2 MPH on old engine w/ slipping trans & melted O2 sensor - Gen 3 M62 and matching TB, Gen 2 Pully, Zillamotorsports Ported LIM, YT 1.72 Roller Rockers, SII FPR & Injectors, Hypertech Thermomaster chip w/ 160 Thermo, TransGo Shift Kit, Infinity/Pioneer Speakers and 10" Subs, 1300 watts, 140 amp Alternator, Ricepipe CAI w/ heatshield, Pilot Angel Eye Foglights, Clear Corners, '02 17" Chrome Bent 5's, Magnaflow F-Body Muffler and Hi-flo Cat, Ceramic Coated Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Fan Override
2009 G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, loaded, SOLO Axlebacks, Rotofab Intake, Tuned, autodim mirror, removed intake manifold cover, HSV GTS triple gauge pod, two tone red-hot shifter and HSV SuperSport steering wheel, GXP rear sway bar and diffuser, 3.45 diff and various Camaro suspension bits, LED Taillights

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:09 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

J Wikoff wrote:
If it smells hot or drops into some sort of protection mode relating to overheating, a fan could help. But then, there's likely a problem with your deck that will probably get worse.

Thank you for the reply. I did buy a new HU [http://www.cartoys.com/products/product.cfm/Kenwood/Kenwood_eXcelon_KDC_X993/se/1/?mr:trackingCode=D8803EC4-C281-DE11-9973-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA] but I did mock up the housing kit. I hope this will fix the problem. The reason for the brown out on this unit was it was played loud with no air circulation which is vital to electronics, period. I might as well install the fan anyways. I will send pics upon request.

Thank you again for the reply,
Viper79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:15 am 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 1982 Chevy S10
2003 Ford Focus
1996 VW Jetta
If you are pushing the limits of your deck to the max on a routine basis I can somewhat understand an overheating issue. However, for superior sound quality and less heat issues I would recommend that you save some coin and buy yourself a decent 4 channel amp. Furthermore, the built-in amps on any head unit aren't exactly "clean", especially at high volumes, which will push high levels of distortion through the speakers (a great way to kill your speakers prematurely).

On a side note, check the impedance across your speaker leads in the dash with the deck NOT connected using an ohm meter and post them here. There is a possibility that you are having an issue without even knowing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 am 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

dpcookson wrote:
If you are pushing the limits of your deck to the max on a routine basis I can somewhat understand an overheating issue. However, for superior sound quality and less heat issues I would recommend that you save some coin and buy yourself a decent 4 channel amp. Furthermore, the built-in amps on any head unit aren't exactly "clean", especially at high volumes, which will push high levels of distortion through the speakers (a great way to kill your speakers prematurely).

On a side note, check the impedance across your speaker leads in the dash with the deck NOT connected using an ohm meter and post them here. There is a possibility that you are having an issue without even knowing.

Thank you for you reply,

I did open up the old HU and found a resistor going bad. I will get the new one today. I also am running my sub off the 4-channel that I already have. I appreciate any other helpful posts, but I must end my replies with this one out of respect to the forum.

Thank you for your support,

Viper79

Last edited by viper79 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]