It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:06 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
i am pretty impressed with the over-all sound quality of the factory system, however i want more junk in the trunk. so i was wondering if anyone had an idea of how to install an amplifier without using an aftermarket head unit. a friend of mine has a blue box that takes a left side speaker wire hook up and a right side wire hook up then converts the signal to a set of female RCA jacks for the amp. so if i had one of those where would i put it considering that the car has a factory installed amplified system.........does some one know what im talking about?????????

2000 Bonnie SSEi, New FR lower control arm, FR out tie rod end, Rear struts, Rear upper alignment arms (for confused names for these things), New tires, battery, mid-pipe, catylitic converter, and a freshly rebuilt top end. ALL ADDS UP TO MONEY>>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:14 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: 1994 K1500 Silverado
I do know exactly what you're talking about. if you hit up walmart, they have them in the car audio section (obviously). they're right around $20 here where im at, but they're real simple to install. depending on the length of the wires, somewhere right behind the radio it should mount right up.

REMEMBER! if you are installeing an amp, RUN YOUR 12V CONSTANT WIRES AND YOUR A/V WIRES SEPERATELY. example run the 12v on the right side of the car, and the a/v's on the left, or vice verse.

what are you planning on going with?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:21 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Year and Trim: 2016 Scat pack
Low Line Converter, works great, I had one in my 93 SSEi.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:33 am 
SE Member
SE Member

ok so now i know its a low line converter. thanks matt. 99bonnie to answer the what you planning on going with. i was planning on two 12" kenwoods and a 1000w kenwood amp. but i dont really want to tear my stereo out of the dash to hook up this little thing. is there an easier access to left and right channels in all the comotion bolted on the back of the rear seats?

2000 Bonnie SSEi, New FR lower control arm, FR out tie rod end, Rear struts, Rear upper alignment arms (for confused names for these things), New tires, battery, mid-pipe, catylitic converter, and a freshly rebuilt top end. ALL ADDS UP TO MONEY>>

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:02 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: '99 SSEi
shredthebonnie wrote:
is there an easier access to left and right channels in all the comotion bolted on the back of the rear seats?

Yes, tap the rear speaker wires at the rear speakers. No need to pull the dash apart.

The part is called a line output converter.

http://www.crutchfield.com/s_142SLC4/Sc ... ml?tp=2001

That is the same one you can get a Walmart for $19. You'll only need to use 2 of the 4 channel inputs on the converter.

'02 Jeep Liberty Sport
'89 Chaparral 187XL w/ 4.3L I/O Mercruiser
'00 Cannondale Jekyll 900SX
Follow me on twitter: adumb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

mntnbkr.... thats a great idea. i never even thought of that.

but anyway..... how much can you spend? what kinda music you listening to? i have some better reccomendations for subs. i just am not a fan of kenwood subs, but hey, we all have our pref's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:01 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

awesome well i listen to just about everything from the gangsta bang....lol to the old time rock and roll. and im really not looking to spend much more than i already have over the years. my amplifier has a remote gain and low frequency control so it works on just about everything. i would however think about the posibility of replacing my subs down the road i have always prefered kenwood so i was going to go with an excelon posibly but i would like to go from a big bulky 12x2 box and replace it with a single 12 that will still take most of what my 1000 watt amp can push.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-67uXw5CPqY ... 02DVC.html
this one is discontinued but something around these lines.....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:05 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

they dont look like bad subs, but personally, i listen to the same stuff you do, and i have a single Alpine Type E 12" in a slot port, and it sounds REALL nice. i dont have a vehicle, hence the fact im only 15, but i have it hooked up in my room, and its great. i totally would take another one of em any day. a Type E is a great sub flat out.

or, even a JBL GT5-12. check em out. but that kenwood does look pretty nice.