It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Subwoofer placement
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:26 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Year and Trim: 2000 SE
I have two 12" eclipse subs being run by an 800W kenwood amp. I have an alpine deck.

Alpine Deck = http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Y39sW2yeSZ ... 500CDE9852

Amp = http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RX2Yfc5hst ... 113KaC7201

Subs = http://www.eclipse-web.com/boxes/sw4200bxd.html

Currently I have both subs bridged off of the amp in a sealed box in my trunk facing the rear of the vehicle. I was wondering how else everyone has their setups and possibly some pictures? I am contemplating turning my box around to face forward. The problem is, the 2000+ only has that small reach through to the trunk, and it feels as if there is not as much bass as there should be.

Previous: '06 Audi S4 Quattro 6MT (for sale!)
'06 Chevy Cobalt SS, Stage II: 2.0L Supercharged, 16psi boost, G85 Package; Recaro Racing Seats, Limited Slip Differential, 5 Speed Manual
'00 Pontiac Bonneville SE ( 4 years, 197,000 miles)
'99 Dodge Intrepid ES (1 year, 2 engines)
'95 Chevy Lumina (2 years, 164,000 miles)

Post subject: Re: Subwoofer placement
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:12 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Leave the subs facing the rear as turning them forward won't do anything. After looking at what you have, I'm not surprised that you don't think it's very loud. The subs in a pre-fab box that isn't designed well and you're probably only seeing about 400 watts at the max with the amp you have. The 2000+ has much better sound proofing so the bass won't carry as well. You could open the pass through but it will only help so much. If you want more bass, you're going to need to upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:47 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 96 Bonneville SE
if you want it louder my question is do you have it bridged? If not you might want to try that, but dont turn the box.

96 SE Pioneer AVHP5700 head unit(ipod connection) new are intake, clear corners, new foglights. HID head lights (Soon to have new rims) as soon as it gets warm enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:13 pm 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

Yeah, I won't turn the box. The speakers are bridged and the amp does 460W in a bridged configuration which ends up making 230W to each subwoofer. I have recently realized that my tuning is off. My low pass filters and bass/subwoofer settings on my deck are all over the place. I was using the loudness feature but as of right now I turned it off and I have been trying to tune without messing up the stock speakers. Tonight or tomorrow I am going to unhook the subs, and tune the car for treble and make sure the 6x9's aren't bottoming out. Then I am going to hook the subs back up and tune for bass. Sounds like a plan to me...

What frequencies and cutoffs do you use for treble/bass... right now I am running 80 or the bass and 75 for the treble. Before when I had the loudness feature on, i was running 50 bass and 125 for the treble and I was losing a lot of sound in between there since none of the speakers were playing freq's between 60 and 120.

'06 Chevy Cobalt SS, Stage II: 2.0L Supercharged, 16psi boost, G85 Package; Recaro Racing Seats, Limited Slip Differential, 5 Speed Manual

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 96 Bonneville SE
I have a pioneer unit which is a bit different, i call turn my subs of without unhooking them, but for the frequency im not sure.

96 SE Pioneer AVHP5700 head unit(ipod connection) new are intake, clear corners, new foglights. HID head lights (Soon to have new rims) as soon as it gets warm enough.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:26 pm 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

JBMark33 wrote:
Yeah, I won't turn the box. The speakers are bridged and the amp does 460W in a bridged configuration which ends up making 230W to each subwoofer. I have recently realized that my tuning is off. My low pass filters and bass/subwoofer settings on my deck are all over the place. I was using the loudness feature but as of right now I turned it off and I have been trying to tune without messing up the stock speakers. Tonight or tomorrow I am going to unhook the subs, and tune the car for treble and make sure the 6x9's aren't bottoming out. Then I am going to hook the subs back up and tune for bass. Sounds like a plan to me...

What frequencies and cutoffs do you use for treble/bass... right now I am running 80 or the bass and 75 for the treble. Before when I had the loudness feature on, i was running 50 bass and 125 for the treble and I was losing a lot of sound in between there since none of the speakers were playing freq's between 60 and 120.

Turn off the loud feature. You think that it might sound better but it only makes it louder (duh) which covers up all of the problems with your sound. Reset all of your head unit functions and then go back through each option until you are happy with your sound. I would suggest writing down all your settings so that you can make sure the settings on your head unit and amp match. It also provides a frame of reference for later troubleshooting.

I think 80 is pretty good for your bass but it's all in how you like it to sound yourself. For treble, somewhere around 100. The only way to really pick up those missing frequencies is to invest in some good midbass. It's not the easiest sound to reproduce but it does really round it out.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:53 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Year and Trim: .
I have a built-in crossover on my Apline mono sub that is limited to 200 Hz.
My Sony head unit has built-in high pass and low pass filters that give me a choice of 78 Hz or 125 Hz.
I chose to have both set to 125. This allows my 12" Alpine sub to cover strictly the lows and my rears/fronts to cover the mid bass, mids and highs. The rears can easily cover the mid-bass frequencies and the fronts can take care of the mids and highs. I'm running stock fronts and kenwood rears in the deck and it sounds F'in A-mazing!

I strongly suggest you build your own box and keep it facing the back. I have my pass through open all the time because there's definitely a drop in bass volume when closed. Pre-manufactured boxes are never the right dimensions. Here is a box builder site that can help. http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=26
You'll need to do plenty of research first. Measure twice...cut once. Some sub manufacturers (Kicker is one I know of) offer box dimensions.

As posted earlier, it's about what you like. So set every thing to 0 and boost/cut frequencies as you need them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:08 am 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2001 BMW 330i
ZSP Sport Pack
Moonroof
Best position I found was in the corner....

http://bonneville.fearthepearl.com/summ ... CF3070.jpg

This is a sealed enclosure I forget what size it is... If I reuse the driver in my GTI I'll prob just go ported to try something new.

- Titanium Silver - Sport Package - 3 Pedals - Koni Yellow/H&R Sport
2006 Volkswagen GTI - (gone) Tornado Red - DSG, Stage II~280hp/325tq
1993 Pontiac Bonneville - (gone) Purple Pearl H4U/SLE. Loud

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:22 am 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2006 Chevy Silverado LT
1989 Camaro RS LT1
Trying to stay in line with the topic, on a ported box, does placement really matter? there is only 1 possible way to place subs in my single cab truck.

--1989 Camaro RS-LT1/700r4 drivetrain swap, Corvette trans internals w/2200 stall,
rebuilt engine with LT4 cam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:29 am 
Posts like an L36
Posts like an L36

I use a sealed box, although If I didn't have my 12's in the same box, I would have them set up in the corner like yours!!

Those really fit in there nicely!

I just kept them where they are at, I got them all tuned up and it sounds nice. Thanks for the tuning advice!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:08 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

lowrider0308 wrote:
Trying to stay in line with the topic, on a ported box, does placement really matter? there is only 1 possible way to place subs in my single cab truck.

Sort of. Any subwoofer system uses the frame of the car to transfer vibrations to it so the more level and flat the box is to the frame, the better. Ported is typically louder and has a more violent reaction so the closer to the frame the better.

In a single cab truck, placement won't matter because it should get loud very easily! :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:27 pm 
SSEi Member
SSEi Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SLE
i am probably odd man out here, but i set my kenwood to normally 60 for low pass subs, and 60-80 for high pass. i want my subs to do just bass...no midbass through them. i hate the sound of a sub playing mid bass freq..... but to each their own. i just want to feel the kick of the subs on lower bass notes. good mid/high setup can handle the rest.

When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them,
and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for,
that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.
You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
~~~~~ Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 - 2005 ~~~~~

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:09 pm 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

Your absolutely right, it depends on what you like.
To give greater depth to crossover points, here's a chart showing the instrument frequency ranges.

Also, here's a great site that explains the frequency breakdowns:
http://www.recordingeq.com/EQ/req0400/OctaveEQ.htm

Basically, you have:
Low bass = 40 - 80 Hz
Bass = 80 Hz to 250 Hz
Mid Bass = 250 Hz to 500 Hz
Mid range = 500 Hz to 2 kHz
Upper mid range = 2 kHz to 4 kHz
Presence range = 4 kHz to 6 kHz
Treble range = 6 kHz to 20 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:56 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
i as well went in the corner but i went a little different way other than just WOOD :twisted:

only pic i have on the computer and dont feel like taking one right now :twisted:

there is one on the other side as well.

one thing you should know is that if you want it to carry to the front the best then they should be facing the rear of the car. but if you have enough power then it doesnt matter. IMO

but in the corners like this allows for the best use of space

Member #550

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:31 am 
Posts like an L27
Posts like an L27

JayGXP - What is the measured gross internal Cubic volume of your set up? Keep in mind that each speaker has different volume requirements. Example: I'm running one Alpine E-Type 12" (SWE-1242 - RMS 250W / Peak 750W) and Alpine sealed box recommendation for this sub is 0.8 to 1.7 ft^3 (that's .9 ft^3 of tolerance). The sealed box I made is exactly 1 cu. ft. (13.5" ^3 = inside volume of 12" ^3 using 3/4" press board).

Now, using the Alpine R-Type 12" (SWR-1242D RMS 500W / Peak 1500W), the recommended sealed box volume is 0.7 to 1 ft.^3 (.3 ft^3 of tolerance). The Alpine X-Type 12" (SWX-1243D RMS 1000W / Peak 3000W), the recommended sealed box volume is 1 ft.^3 (0 tolerance).

As you can see, the higher up in power ratings you go, the less wiggle room you have for box volume capacity.
Just want to make sure anyone who reads this understands that one size does not fit all (AND STAY AWAY FROM PRE-FAB BOXES AT BEST BUY!) LOL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:07 am 
Posts like an LN3
Posts like an LN3

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP
but ofcourse. LOL. yea im at ummm. something like 1.65 or 1.80 i was aiming toward half way between my recommended and max. and thats ported ofcouse.

if i remember its like 1.8 gross and then with the displacement of the subs it comes down to 1.65 its been a while now since they been in.

and that not a perfect measurement due to the abstract shape. so i used packing penuts and a known size box.

oh and also to add to the the enclosure size if your porting then the port length changes as well

Member #550