It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:44 pm 
Posts like an LG3
Posts like an LG3

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Every available option
Okay, need some good eyes and some help/advise with what I am hoping is connected to rear suspension problems I have had for a long time. I had the rear driver side wheel off and noticed the ELC linkage "de-linked" and I'm not sure I placed it back on the right way.

Keep in mind that I suspect that the linkage has been like this for at least over a year and maybe even since I bought the car several years ago. Also keep in mind that I already know the ELC does not re-engage/re-inflate while the car is under load and out of level, nor does the ride height remain maintained if I maually pump up the shocks using the compressor button in the trunk. Within a minute the under-load rear-end sinks back down (to sometimes concerning low levels when I have a heavy trailer hitched-up). I can hear the pump engage shortly after every start so it will perform it's start-up routine but has never run for more than the 5 seconds even under heavy load.

The detached arm plate you see hanging (left centre) attaches to the round housing you see at the top of the first image. The arm plate has a small hole above the round section of it that catches the end of a spring wire protruding slightly from the housing. So I caught the housing's 'protruding spring wire' in the small hole in the round section of the arm and rotated the arm back (approx half a turn) into a position where it could be snapped back onto the housing (unfortunately the first photo cuts of the housing section so you can't see the wire, or the stud that the arm's larger hole snaps over.

here it is snapped back on

Results: nothing apparent. I still get start-up routine but it never re-inflates after adding a level-changing load.

Questions:
First, is this the correct postion of the linkage, coming up from below.

Second: Should I have "wound-up" more the spring wire before snapping in place the arm to the housing, loading more spring tension?

Last, am I fooling myself that this delinked ELC can be fixed so easily?

Intense 3.4 MPS, Intense FWI, Intense PCM, copper NGKs TR55's, MSD wires, MSD coils, BWD ICM, MagnaFlow High Flow Cat, drilled 180 'stat, solid front mount, Monroe Max Air rear shocks, Moog rear mounts, Moog suspension bushings, cleared front corners, 190,000 miles

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
This is the correct position.

The unit is actually just a potentiometer. If you remove the unit from the car, hook up your multimeter, you can test whether its working or not. I'm not exactly sure why they put a spring in there, because its not under any tension. It should move freely without force, or grinding, while going up and down.

I'd suggest buying a used one, yours will probably just fall apart again. Here is one for $23.99: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Bon ... QQtcZphoto

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

Last edited by harofreak00 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.