It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: water leaks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:40 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SE
2001. Bought this almost a year ago and it collected water. I stripped it and waited for Winter to end. I found three of the doors had been worked on and their water deflectors were barely reattached. Fixed. Sunroof was leaking due to clogged drain. Fixed. Today I watered my car to see if my work solved it and if this thing could sprout, I'd probably have drown it. I'm getting water on top of two of the door seals, i think. I can deal with that. However, I'm also getting water in the front passenger side up the firewall. A quick search didn't get me what I expected, so I'm posting. Are there common things to check? Windshield, maybe?

Gotta say, I'm frustrated with this car. it was never driven in winter, but I can't believe how much water it takes on. I wish I knew before I bought it. So it goes.

Post subject: Re: water leaks
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:05 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I watched a few general videos on firewall water leaks. I checked the cabin air filter and it was soaked, but there's not a lot of debris around it. The cowl seal against he windshield is all cracked and broken. See pics. Could this be at least part of my issue? Not sure how else that filter would be wet.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eomhtawtmmv92sb/bonnevillecowl1.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6n5xf27e3thtm2/bonnevillecowl2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzr83jkm10hd1dr/bonnevillecowlfilter.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7uf0kmh6ntokvo/bonnevillecabinfilter.jpg?dl=0

hope the images at Dropbox work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:23 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 SSEi 170k
2003 SSEi 115k
Did you reconnect the 2 drain lines for the sunroof? If you blew them out, you likely blew the 2 pieces apart.They are a 2 piece design connected near the firewall. They leak onto the floor board when they disconnect. The one on the driver side is right above the parking brake. Here is a write up explaining it better and how to fix it.

interior/topic1688.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:12 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

the shop did the lines to the sunroof. I did the door water deflectors. The water now is coming in the cabin air filter. I duct taped the cowl to the windshield and duct taped the filter cover shut and ran a hose on it for around 25 minutes without water. if it's still dry tomorrow, I think this is hte problem and I'll have to do a better fix.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:46 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

The other night I watered the car again for about 20 minutes before swapping parts from my 03 LeSabre with the Michigan Salt Defect that causes Saggy Butt Syndrome (SBS). (The Pontiac was ever driven in winter, so I'm modifying the back so it doesn't rapidly develop SBS.) No water in side, so I swapped rear shocks and rotors. Before putting the carpet and all in, I decided I should test one more time. 3.5" of water in the rear driver side footwell, and water upon the bench area across from the battery, i was frustrated.

Today I got out the hose and started by soaking the lower window 'seal' area at the body line on the rear driver side door. Within 5 minutes I had water inside. At least some/most of it is coming from the inserts in the door where the christmas tree clips go in. The front and rear one were both letting water in. How is this possible now, but didn't happen from the factory? And, how do I fix it? I'm baffled. It's like there's a rain deflector inside car missing or something. My only thought is to pull the rain deflector again, and use some waterproof duct tape to make a deflector over each of those.

This is at least the fourth water leak on this car. Ugh.

I'm going to post about this on the main door water leaks thread too.

Image 1: door inner. 1 and 3 are leaking. 4 is not. 2 is a puddle pooled on the weather stripping that ends up running into the footwell. 1 is by far the worset leak so far.
image 2: front grommet/whaterver it's called.
Image 3: rear grommet thing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:18 am 
SE Member
SE Member

I wonder if the foam washers on the door card clips are meant to seal this water. They seem to be a soft closed-cell foam. Does anyone know? Maybe testing with the door cars off if a bad water test? I'll try that today.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:00 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

I used a caulk to fill those and now have no water after one rain. Will see if it continues to work. i'm going to caulk the front cowl too.