It is currently Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water Leaks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:34 am 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2001 SE
I found two good write-ups here on water leaks from the doors(http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/interior/topic11470.html) and sunroof (http://www.pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/interior/topic1688.html). I just bought this car and it sat out in the rain. Now the rear driver side door and the front passenger door trigger the door ajar and interior lights on. I pulled the driver seat and found water pooled on the floor under the carpet. I also found signs of water coming in behind the trim panel on the passenger front door. So, I know I have at least one door to pull apart and reseal for water.

Am I correct that I will need to pull half the interior apart to diagnose the sunroof drains? Looks like I do need to pull the carpet to dry it all, so I'm halfway there. Plus, I need to replace the headliner, so I guess I may need to do those sooner than I wanted.

Is it possible to seal the sunroof completely, disable it (unplug the switch seems easiest), and not have to worry about the water?
If I chose to have a shop do all this, what do expect the hours to be. Let's assume drain lines and two doors. I have a garage, but it's not heated.

Background is I bought this as a high-mileage, reliable car with some known and acceptable issues (after market cat throws codes, O2 doesn't, and a couple other small issues). It's never been driven in winter, which in Michigan means I can close the door without leaving piles of rust. The interior, other than the driver's seat and headliner, is in pretty good shape. Body has a couple dings and the rear light housings have some cracks. As a second car, it's pretty OK, except the indoor pool on the floor. Debating finding someone to tear it apart and fix the doors and sunroof drain, wiring, and clean the thing up nice vs. doing it myself. WIth kids, coaching, full time + work, I'm at a crossroads.

Post subject: Re: Water Leaks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:01 pm 
LE Member

Posted in another old thread this info/question. I just can't find any write-ups or videos of the center console removal.
This video is not about removing the console, but does show the dash bezel and I wonder if the two bolts at around 4:39 are two of the ones necessary to remove the console. Are there two more?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvRvVaUOK7Y

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:05 am 
LE Member

I have the console out. The bolts I pointed out are two of the four; the other two are right below them. One of mine was missing, and whoever took out the console before me broke it's mounts on the left and didn't tighten the one of the rear bolts. So it goes.

Console is out, carpet is out. It's soaked. I think I'm going to order the door water repair and headliner replacement supplies and do it all at once. My shop is weeks on out getting anything in to work on. I'll leave the carpet out while I work on the doors and headliner. I'll also check the sunroof drains while the whole thing is torn apart. This will likely be a long project as I only get a few hours here-and-there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:26 am 
LE Member

Anyone know where to get GM P/N 12065361 for the tweeters? It's the retainer clip

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:42 am 
LE Member

Just ordered three headline sample kits to see which will work best for me. Has anyone replaced theirs with suede? I'm thinking that could be nice. I need to do both my LeSabre and Bonneville.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:42 pm 
GXP Member
GXP Member

Year and Trim: 2002 SE, 2013 Regal GS
beengone wrote:
Is it possible to seal the sunroof completely, disable it (unplug the switch seems easiest), and not have to worry about the water?
If I chose to have a shop do all this, what do expect the hours to be. Let's assume drain lines and two doors. I have a garage, but it's not heated.

I ended up sealing my sunroof, after my sunroof let in water the second time, getting the headliner wet. I had 2 options: seal it with RTV or some clear sealant like that, or I could use duct tape as a cheap and easy fix. I ended up using duct tape, because it was cheap, did the trick, and she was a beater by that time - of course, with my self-diagnosed OCD, it was as aesthetically pleasing as possible.

Since your garage isn't heated, you might be SOL if you want to do it by yourself right now. It might be pricy for a shop to do it; unfortunately, I don't know what an estimate might look like...you're gonna have to get quotes on it. A sunny day will help dry those carpets out; but of course, timing might not be in your favor.

Best of luck to you. I can help out with some advice, but just about all of what I picked up is from this forum.

(yes, there is a story behind my avatar.)