It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dash cluster issues?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2000 SSEi
Another instrument panel problem -- speedometer/odometer not working, but temp/oil gauges, etc. are ok. Digital readings are frizzed, not invisible. The information cluster is out, too, but just blank. No codes, drives great. 2000 SSEi.

Ideas? Advice?
I should add, this is a car I'm considering buying, and am just checking to see if there is a potentially major probable cause, such as wiring or control/computer box as opposed to a simple instrument panel and DIC replacement...

Post subject: Re: Dash cluster issues?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP - plus a handful of other Bonnevilles
This isn't common. Can you post some pictures?

1997 Corvette | 55k | Silver Metallic | Z06 wheels | Date-night Hauler/Parts runner
2014 Town & Country Limited | Cashmere Pearl | 95k | Family Hauler
2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Sport | Black| 260k | Official Bonneville Hauler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:27 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Unfortunately no. The car is some 1300 miles away. I had my BIL test drive it and have it checked for codes (none), but that's about the limit. My suspicion is that it is two unrelated problems, one for the instrument panel and one for the DIC.

I'm only looking at it because a drunk rear-ended my 2001 a few nights ago and totaled it. Just when I finished it, of course.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:30 pm 
SLE Member
SLE Member

This has all the hallmarks of a brand-new snafu, but I actually am optimistic.

Flew out and bought the car. The body is excellent, no rust, with perfectly good 21 year old black paint. No hail dents, major scratches, bubbling, or chips. Might respond to some buffing, but isn't a crucial issue. It looks perfectly good from 10 feet away - except for the three tail light pieces, which look like they were taken from a junkyard dog. Even the headlights aren't dreadful, although they would be improved by polishing.

The DIC read-out is just blank, no lights. For that matter, half the instrument panel LEDs are burnt out, as are the radio LEDs. Pressing the Trip Reset button does reset the trip meter, though.

The instrument panel issue is not what the guy was describing. The odometer simply says "error". The trip meter works fine. The HUD works fine, although the HUD speedometer reads 3-4 mph higher than the needle speedometer, and I don't know which one is accurate. The boost gauge never moves, although the engine rpm behaves pretty much as if the SC is providing boost - no real change in rpm unless sudden acceleration or climbing a steep hill. MPG is about 22, a little low.

The temperature gauge never rose above about 1/4, or 100 degrees or so. The outside temperature dropped as low as 23 degrees, and no real heat output from the climate control. It got a bit chilly in there around 2 a.m. No real cooling when the temperature was 78 and sunny either, but at least it wasn't 90. Fuel gauge reads 7/8 full after filling, soon drops to below empty (after 40-50 miles). CD player doesn't work, but a clear radio station produces excellent sound. No cracks or chips in windshield. Driver window doesn't open or close, all others are fine. Sunroof works, but the plastic frame needs replacing. Some cloth peeling from the headliner. Heated seats need repair. Rear struts seem spongy. Wheel hubs are completely shot, extreme vibration between 55-70 mph. Smooths out beautifully at 72+. Interior is pretty well preserved, no major cracks or stains, or even much in the way of small issues that I could see, barring some peeling switches on the steering wheel. The battery is laughably small - someone really cheaped out there, probably the used car dealer.

In other words, a typical 21 year old SSEi that hasn't really been maintained properly, but with a very good body.

After about a thousand miles of driving, the SES light came on. I checked the codes this morning, and found six, all of which I had pretty well guessed: P0128, P0133, P0243, P0404, P0463, and P1133 -- or coolant temp, a couple O2 sensor codes, SC control solenoid, EGR, and fuel level sensor.

Seeing as how the car that the drunk smashed into has every part needed to fix everything, I'm pretty cheerful - except for the fact that I have to strip everything and swap it into the new car. I don't have a garage to work in, and I'm not getting any younger.

On the plus side, now I have two full nice sets of swoopies, although I can't see any reason to keep all eight.