It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:14 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SE
I tried posting this question earlier but don't see my post in the forum.

I have the two faults. I looked at a fe old post to see the P0452 looks to point to the FTPS. I tried to back prob the connector to no avail. I did see the ground at 5v reference signal when unplug key on. Does this sensor just clip into the fuel pump housing? If so is it a pressure fitting? I tried to remove the sensor but it seems to be held on by something I could not see. Do I have to pull the pump to remove the sensor?

For P0446 I searched as well. The definition seems to be a blockage in the evaporated line, but people seem to be pointing to the evaporation purge valve at the manifold or the at the canister. I performed a quick vacuum test from the T-body connector that feeds vacuum to the Fuel pressure rail regulator and the purge valve at the manifold. would not hold vacuum. I removed the two lines from the vacuum connecter at T body and test each one to find vacuum was held. I tested the connector at the t body and I could not hold vacuum. Would this vacuum leak case P0446? Also does anyone have a part number for the fitting?

Last would these fault accompany each other from a small vacuum leak that I am assuming is from the t body fitting or do I have two separate concerns?

Thanks for any help you may provide.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:58 pm 
LE Member

After testing for P0446 I cleared the faults and drove the vehicle today for about 35 minutes. P0446 retuned along with a P0404 which I receive off and on. I pulled the EGR off checked operation of the pintle to find it working win I had power suppled to Pin A and Ground supplied to Pin D. With connector secured to EGR valve I check the signal wire (pin C) key on and see .6v, this indicates the pintle is in the rest position. When I move the pintle with a crew driver I see voltage increase as the pintle is moving with a max around 4.5v. This tells me the circuit for the unit is good. I check pin A on the connector to see that I am receiving 12.v key on. I back prob pin D key on ad I do see 4.5v whenI place volt meter lead on the pin and ground. This indicates that he signal wire is good. I then checked ground at pin B which I believe is a computer controlled ground. Key on test lead at pin B and other test lead at Batt positive I see 12v. This indicates the switch ground is good. As I have the ERG off I removed the throttle body and see it is very dirty. I remove the pipe for from the ERG valve base to intake, it is clean, I try to run a wire through the base to the exhaust but get hunk up. I remove the base from the block and exhaust manifold to find it clean I try to run a wire through the pipe that is par of the manifold but have issue with the bent in the pipe.

I am not sure if there is a clogged at the manifold pipe for the EGR or if I have an electrical concern. I have read that the MAP is the sensor to verify EGR operation. If the map is bad what other concerns should I experience?

For the EGR circuit I have account for all pins except E. I will assume this pin is another power pin for the EGR. With key on I read no voltage. Does anyone know what pin this goes to at the ECU? I want to check the wire to sit if it is broken somewhere as well as see if the ECU is putting out the voltage. Is there a fuse for the EGR circuit? Does anyone have a wiring diagram they can share for this?

I was able to find the correct part number for the connection from t body to vacuum lines to fuel regulator and purge valve at manifold. Looks like it is 24506640 this comes with the lines as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:09 pm 
LE Member

So I found pin 32 C-1 is the location at PCM for pin E at EGR. I show .1-2 ohms resistance on a radio shack meter. So this shows me that there is continuity. When back probing the pin key on I am not seeing voltage. With engine running still no voltage. Need to see when/how this pin supplies voltage to pin E at EGR. Is this a 12v power supply via PCM? Is there a fuse for the EGR? (dealing withP0404)

Also when looking around I check the MAP sensor. When I went to remove it, the house split in half. So I have a map on order along with the vacuum connector/lines. (for P0446)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:19 pm 
LE Member

Update: So I had confused pin A and E at the EGR connector. All reading out of the connector are good. I need to confirm Pin C to PCM is good as I see the voltage out of the EGR, but not sure if it is making it to the PCM which looks to be the pintle position "switch".

I was able to get a wiring diagram. Here are the Pins and colors incase someone else is looking. I cannot attached the pic so here they are in writing.
Pin A Gray wire goes to Pin 32 C1 on PCM (switch ground)
Pin B Black wire goes to Pin 31 C1 (supplied ground)
Pin C Brown wire goes to Pin 28 C2 (pintle switch position)
Pin D Gray goes to Pin 30 C2 (5v reference)
Pin E White goes to Pin 4 C2 (12v supply)

I also removed the EGR valve again passed compressed air from the ERG manifold exhaust side. I did fill air coming out of the exhaust, but it seemed to be restricted. Of course the air has to pass the cat. I picked up some valve cleaner and sprayed about half can into the port. I let sit for about 30 minutes then followed up with more air. I started the car and of course smoke out of the tail pipe. This had the carbon burning smell and smoked for about 30 minutes. I am not sure if the carving was in the manor port for ERN, the manifold or on the cat. This car has over 300k miles and still working with the OG cat.

I also installed the new MAP sensor and vacuum lines for the t body to FPR and Purge valve at the manifold. I have driven the car about 5 miles yesterday and drove it again today for about 3 miles. I currently have the pending P0446. I will check operation of the canister purge valve later today and make sure the line is clear.

Figures crossed P0404 is gone as if it returns I will have a issue with the C wire or the PCM.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:54 pm 
LE Member

I checked the canister purge solenoid to find it working. How ever when I removed the canister I found some fuel come out of it as if the tank was over filled. I was able to poor out about an ounce of fluid. I blew compressed air into the tank port to get some mist out. I let the canister sit for about an hour and blew more air into it hoping to dry it out some what. The canister did fill a little heavy. Reinstalled and drove the car for about 10 miles after clearing faults. I do have a pending fault for P0404 back.

P0404 is looking to be due to the PCM. I have one more check that I will perform. I will check pins E and A voltage with someone placing the vehicle in drive foot on the brake and pressing the gas peddle slightly to conform the PCM is actually commanding the EGR solenoid. With that confirmed, I will back probe the voltage between pins C and B pins to make sure the EGR positions sensor is working. I will do this both cold and hot. If I see voltage change like I should I guess the PCM is bad.

I will need to also confirm if P0446 will return. If it does I will replace the canister as that seems to be the only think left with regarding flow for evap.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:49 pm 
LE Member

So I performed the above checks and I am getting voltage reading like I should. Looks like a PCM form me.

I received some help from GM 3800 on facebook. He provided the wiring diagram and advised to make the EGR checks cold and warm. I recommend you reach out to him if you are struggling.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:56 pm 
LE Member

Lastest update:

I went to pick a part to grab some window switches. I found a 2002 Bonneville that has the EGR still. Took that EGR installed on my car. I drove he car off and on for about 50 miles. As of right now no faults or pending faults.

I was informed that there were 3 different EGR valves for the 3800 over the years. My vehicle did have aftermarket EGR. So it is possible the EGR was creating a false P0404 fault even thought testing the ERG showed is was working. Voltages looked goods well. Not sure if the after marker EGR was also creating an issue in the PCM to trigger the P0446 fault. When I cleared P0452 it never came back, so I'm not sure what caused that to set.

When you replace the EGR make sure you have the correct one for your vehicle year. I would recommend to get one Strat from the dealer.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:25 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
I had no idea there were that many EGRs over the years.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
05 Suzuki DRZ400S
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.