It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:16 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Year and Trim: 2003 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI
My Compressor had been making noise for a long time...you could hear it running over the engine...it cooled but on a hot day it was coolish warm at best...and in Texas...that's no bueno. I did a lot of research...found the recommendation to put 2.5lb in vs 2.2lb (very good advice). I replaced the compressor, condensor, orifice tube, Accumulator/Drier, took all the lines out of the vehicle and flushed them. (there are too many bends to really get all the contaminates and flush out if you leave them in.) I flushed the evap core (the part in the dash) and blew air threw it until it was completely dry (took a while). I purchased a reman compressor from Oreiley's with a lifetime warranty ($209 retail, $152 with shop discount), the main thing I researched and mulled over was the orifice tube. The factory GM one is a white one with a single o-ring (restriction diameter of 0.072")...I had read on a few older hot rod forums that one way to improve a 134 system was to run the blue one from a ford. I determined after searching they were referring to one that is factory for a 2000 F-150 w/5.4L ...it has double orings and a restriction diameter of 0.067" (more restrictive than the GM one). I decided to go with the ford one (you can see a pick of our white one (middle) and the blue double oring ford one (bottom) in the pic below. I had debated getting the automatic adjusting ones that are rated for Extreme heat 105+ (which Texas qualifies), but the more I read on them the less I liked them...seems they clog up and stop working with even the slightest of residue...too many bad stories of them failing.

So far I am very happy with my decision...outside temp was 70 today and the car interior was at least 95*F. within 5min of driving I had to turn it down as it was freezing me out....I do realize the true test will be when the temps here get in the 90-110*F range, but I am optimistic that it will work quite well, if current output is any indication....IF I remember I will update this post once the temps get up in the 90+ here.

TIPS:
1. Buy a Seal Kit and replace all the seals in the system. and you may want to buy and replace the schrader valves in the low and high side if you suspect either of them leaking...or just for good measure.
2. If anyone does there own...Our Compressor requires PAG 150...get the oil with UV dye...on the off chance you do still have a leak...it will really help locate it.
3. Replace the condenser...modern ones just ARE NOT FLUSHABLE and replace the accumulator/drier...if you have to redo the system...the desiccant in it is toast from all the debris and moisture in the system.
4. After replacing (if needed) the compressor and Condenser, and flushing out the EVAP core and lines...you want to put the recommended amount of oil into the system based on what was replaced etc. and the very last thing you should install and connect is the accumulator/drier...the caps should stay on it until you are ready to take them off, insert the lines and screw them down tight.
5. Vacuum the system down good (longer is better) I put mine on Vacuum for 2hrs after a quick 15min vacuum to -30psi and a decay test (IIRC I did 5min) to verify I didn't have a leak.
6. Don't get in a rush and don't drink too many "tasty Beverages"...take your time, be systematic, methodical, cleanliness is next to godliness in A/C systems. Also if some of your hoses have the foam rubber insulation around them that is deteriorated cut it off and use some properly sized KFLEX insulation , peel and stick the self sealing seam and then use some good (3M etc) duct tape and run a strip of it over that seam centering the duct tape on the seam (the duct tape is there to help the seam stay bonded with the extreme temps it will see in a vehicle. (I build commercial A/C systems for a living...KFLEX is all we use...I trust it...I get no compensation from them, I just know its a really good brand https://www.google.com/search?q=K+FLEX+insulation&client=opera&hs=GEU&sxsrf=ALeKk01HNukQo2naE-egHMc0r7FZ-8FSoQ:1585699533028&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQy4uL98XoAhVQ-6wKHYZGCn0Qsxh6BAgWEC8&biw=1880&bih=949)

SLP Ceramic Coated Headers,
Thrasher Cold Air Intake,
GXP Tails, Interior Door handles, Trim pieces etc.
40th Aniv Grand Prix GTP Wheels (Very Shiny & Very Annoying :pukeleft: )

Last edited by JEFFSSSEI on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:06 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

So we have finally had a 95 degree day the other day since I re-did the A/C system. I am happy to say that it is still blowing ice cubes...very happy with my decision to use the ford (blue) orifice tube vs the GM factory white one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:41 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Interesting on the orifice tube. I had no idea there was a standardized size that you could swap in ones meant for other manufactures.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:05 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Yes they are, as long as the overall length and diameters on both ends are the same you should be fine. I will note we had another random ford blue one at the shop that did not fit properly...I don't know what it actually goes in it was just in a plastic zip-loc bag with no number's on it I could use to look it up. It also looked different than the one in this picture.

NOW FOR SOME CONCRETE NUMBERS:

Test Parameters:
Vehicle running for 30min idling (flat level ground...shouldn't matter). I did this because I wanted to simulate the vehicle sitting in stop and go traffic and being "heat soaked"...as I think that is a truer test than just starting the car and taking the measurements.
Outside Temp: 73*F
HVAC Temp setting: 60*F
Fan speed: Low
Recirc: On
Thermometer location: Center Vent (thermometer was checked with a cup of ice water to verify it was accurate then allowed to warm back up to room temperature prior to the testing (approximately 20min warm up)
Reading after thermometer in center vent for 10min (to allow for stabilization): 33*F

VERIFICATION OF OUTSIDE TEMP:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H87kF-hJ6WBcJt61-snGYfj2vPcLZBbf

VERIFICATION OF OUTLET TEMP:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HL382PVC4JNTKq_E6-GFStOugSEd1bxd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:35 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 95 SLE
Nice. There's another level of satisfaction knowing you're the reason the A/C is blowing as cold as it is.

98 Infiniti vq35'd i30: 13.3@104mph, 30MPG Hwy (RIP)
02 Jag X-type
03 BMW M5
05 Chevy Cobalt LS
07 Infiniti G35s 6MT (Sold)
07 Ducati Monster S2R 800 with DS1000 swap
83 Yamaha IT175K
72 Yamaha DS7: '74 RD250 swap, JL chambers

Info on dropping a 92-99: Here.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:24 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Awesome! Just in time for the season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:56 pm 
SSE Member
SSE Member

Thanks guys, it is nice to accomplish what seems to be an improvement to the factory system, and definitely a much needed repair before the heat really arrives down here.