It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:34 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
I have an intermittent problem...

When starting the car - the "no" ABS yellow light and no traction control yellow light comes on on the dash, and there are no lights on in either the heater-A/C readout (and thus neither the heat or A/C work) or the seat heater and traction control sections.

However, I went over a section of road covered in ice - I applied my brakes - and then the ABS kicked in - the "no" ABS yellow light in the dash went off and lights for the heater-A/C readout come one and the heater starts working - and everything then works until I turn the car off.

I have since replicated this several times - it always works the same.

Any ideas as to what is happening/wrong?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:36 am 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed in the car? You need to scan the car with a tool capable of pulling ABS and body codes. Many of the cheap generic ones can't do this. Of course the traction control switch and the climate control head along with other HVAC components are all connected to the same dash wiring harness. If a remote starter or aftermarket stereo was incorrectly or poorly installed, you may have a wiring problem. Of course DTC's would potentially offer a lot of insight.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:35 pm 
LE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
ddalder wrote:
Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed in the car? You need to scan the car with a tool capable of pulling ABS and body codes. Many of the cheap generic ones can't do this. Of course the traction control switch and the climate control head along with other HVAC components are all connected to the same dash wiring harness. If a remote starter or aftermarket stereo was incorrectly or poorly installed, you may have a wiring problem. Of course DTC's would potentially offer a lot of insight.

Thanks for the reply!

No, everything on the car is stock...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2008 DTS
Definitely sounds like codes are most likely to help. One other thing to remember... turning off traction control doesn't disable ABS. Braking hard on an icy surface may still produce the results you got short of being a more catastrophic failure with the EBCM.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation