It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:12 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEi
Recently noticed a coolant puddle under the front of my girlfriend's '02 LeSabre. Car would pull water out of recovery tank, but pushes water out on ground. Temp is normal in the 195-220 range. Needle barely goes a tick over half way, so it's not overheating. The top of the radiator near the cap was wet so I started with the cheapest fix if a new radiator cap but it would still push water out.
Since it only loses coolant when hot and parked, i drove it around a bit and looked under the hood. Heard slight hissing and water started streaming (like from a pinhole) from the radiator... passenger side, right next to the cap, right where the tank is crimped onto the core.
Is there some way to fix this without pulling it all apart (I hate using leaks stopper because it usually gunk's everything else up)? Or is it best just to pull the radiator and replace it? It looks like it's a simple enough job. Tranny cooler lines, radiator hoses, and two mounting brackets on top and it should slip out.
Since it's not overheating, I'm just making sure to keep water in it but know it's gonna need to be fixed soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:08 pm 
Resident Gearhead
Resident Gearhead

Year and Trim: 2004 GXP, 2008 STS, 2020 XT6
In my opinion, I would just replace it. I've never known repairs to this type of radiator to go well and it would quite likely end up being more of a headache in the long run. I also won't use additives to plug leaks because I just don't believe them to be a "best practice" solution.

Bose Luxury Sound System w/Touch Screen Navigation, Addition of Factory XM, 2005 MY Antenna, OnStar Upgrade (3G),
RainSense Wipers, Backup Camera, '00 Style Door Panel Courtesy Lights, Heated Washer Solvent, 2X Remote Trunk Release,
Turn Signal Mirrors, Center Console Courtesy Lamp, Rear Outboard Heated Seats, PVD Chrome 18" Factory Rims, Upgraded
Carbon Fibre Appearance Interior Trim, Highly Modified Main Body Harness, Instrument Panel, Door, Door Panel & Headliner
Wiring Harnesses, Custom Fuse Box & Tire and Loading Information Decals, Additional Acoustic Insulation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:18 pm 
Certified Bonneville Nut
Certified Bonneville Nut

Year and Trim: 2003 SLE
Replace it, they are not expensive nor that bad of a job. Transmission cooler lines are a bit finicky, but it's not bad at all. I changed one with a bit help at 17 years of age, one month after my first brake job... haha!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am 
SLE Member
SLE Member

Year and Trim: 2002 Bonneville SSEi
Well, I bought myself some time because I ha e other issues to attend to.
I also hate using additives. Especially with all the Bars Leak Stop horror stories I've heard.
I found its Alumaseal powder stuff and it got decent reviews so I figure it was worth a try from r $3.
The leak has stopped. Four days later and the recovery tank is still full. I'll just keep an eye on it.