It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Hi everyone, hoping somebody has encountered this issue before. I have a 2004 Buick PAU that I'm slowly rehabbing.

A little background quick: This last week in Iowa it's been raining a ton. After a flash flood type storm, I found my passenger floorboard a little wet, which I'm 99% sure came from my sunroof drains backing up (the car sits in the street tilted to the right with road curve). Today it was pouring again and I pulled the car into the driveway to park it level - didn't notice any new wet spots. An hour later I hop in and my passenger seat has considerable water on it and it's dripped through the headliner above the passenger sunvisor - again pretty sure it's the sunroof/drains.

I take the car in for new tires and on the way, I hear an audible "click" in the dash area and then all my dash lights go dim - Dash, HUD, Radio, HVAC. They all seem to function fine at least, but very dim. After getting tires, they began working again, but clicked and dimmed again a few minutes down the road.

I'm assuming the water in the headliner is related, but not sure. Still raining otherwise I'd open the hood and look for anything that looks suspicious.

Any tips on things to look for? Relays/fuses? Wet areas?

I do plan on figuring out the sunroof drain soon, whether it was just the lean in the road, or if I have a partial clog in one of the drains. Any direction would be awesome - thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:58 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
I would first get rid of the leak causing puddle. you dont want water anywhere inside the cabin.
I am unfamiliar with a Pau, but, you can take a look at the common problems post and read about the clogged drains - look from the top and clear any debris in the roof gutter.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:41 pm 
SE Member
SE Member

Year and Trim: 2004 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
Ok, my leak is now taken care of, I removed the wheel liners and got to the drain lines. They were surprisingly plugged up with a little plastic riveted plug, very very similar to a plastic wall anchor used in drywall. I assume the Ponty's are the same, does anyone happen to know why those are there and if it's fine to remove?

Once removed, water flowed through confidently, I used a speedometer cable and got all the way through no prob once the plugs were removed. Since they live under the enclosed wheel liner, I'm inclined to leave them out.

The lights seemed to have come back, but I suspect they will click and go out again after a short drive.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 1:40 pm 
Posts like a Northstar
Posts like a Northstar

Year and Trim: 2000 Bonniville SSEi L67
perfect!!: I see 2 possible outcomes....
1) its fixed!!
2) you get a chance to recreate the issue.

I hear the click when the lights are commanded on like going in a tunnel or under bridges.

go drive and if it reoccurs, try to pinpoint the click location - I'm thinking relay.

I left my sunroof open during storm_ got soaked - put a portable heater in for 24 hours to dry in the summer sun.

2000 SSEi
past rides:
1996 SSEi
1992 GTP
1987 Grand Am